Skip navigation
Sayeed-AR
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to Launch Photoshop CS4

Sep 10, 2012 8:50 AM

Tags: #cs4_photoshop

I started having this problem 3 days ago. Suddenly one morning Photoshop CS4 stopped launching. The bad part is, there is no error message...nothing...it just won't launch. Other programs, including Bridge CS4 works fine, just Photoshop. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, this is a Dell XPS computer with 8GB of RAM. Please Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Sayeed-AR

If you have made no changes to hardware or software I would reset the preferences.

Start PS and immediately hold down Crtl + Alt + Shift keys.  You should get a reset window.  If you see splash screen you are too late.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to Sayeed-AR

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed.

It could be, as Curt mentions, hardware additions, software additions, or as simple as adding fonts, where one is bad, or corrupted.

The task is to identify what has changed.

I would create a System Restore Point (if you are on a PC), for today. Then, boot to Safe Mode, and choose to Restore System. Pick a System Restore Point from when things DID work. Reboot on the prompt, and test. If PS now works, you still need to find out what changed. Along with the above, it could be as simple as an OS update, or hot-fixed, that hosed your video driver.

In that case, go to the mfgr's. Web site (Do NOT let the OS, or any utility, tell you if have the latest version - go directly to the mfgr's. Driver Download page - plug in your card model and your OS, download the latest driver and install it. Read the installation instructions, as those can change, driver version to version.). A hosed video driver can hang PS, and might not generate any error messages.

If that does NOT help, try one more time, going back with the System Restore Point chosen.

At the worst, you will have only lost a few minutes, as you created that new System Restore Point for today.

If you have a Mac, I think that there is a utility, with a name like Time Machine, that does about the same thing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to Sayeed-AR

Try this

1. Quit Illustrator.
    2. Rename the PSPrefs file (for example, to PSPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings folder.
    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

Actually it is the whole folder tht should be renamed not just the preference so name it to Old Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to Sayeed-AR

Sayeed-AR wrote:

Ok....here's my report. As predicted, I could not get to the reset window. I followed the procedure, nothing happened.

This is a tricky manuver as your timing has to be perfect.  If you do not get the reset window you did not do it correctly.  Remember you have to press and HOLD the 3 keys all at once.  Should see the reset window in a few seconds.

If after several tries you still get nothing you can go in and manually delete the file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points