Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muted red audio track?

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I was working on this project last night and audio was working perfectly. Today I've re-opened the project and found out that all audio sub-clips are red and no audio is played for those sub-clips:

redtracks.png

I've tried right-clicking everywhere but I'm unable to find a way to get audio back on those clips.

Also, if I add a new video-audio clip to the sequence, the audio is there, is only the ones I had already added those that won't play. It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't had like 40 of those small clips

I'm a Premiere Pro noobie, so I'm not sure what I did wrong and how to fix it.

Please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

had the same issue myself today, spent 1 hour on the phone with TS agent.

It seems that the problem involves copied/pasted elements from one project to another (copied the data in the sequence, switched projects, copied said data into sequence in the newer project). All was well until after a save, then the file was salmon-red and the audio file in the Source Panel looked like a nice clay tennis court.

TS suggested and it seemed to work, to import the sequence from the other project rather than c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make it clear...

I only want to know what the reded out audio clips mean, how in the world i did that and how to fix it.

thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues, audio worked yesterday when I went home, now some audio tracks are red.

I have deleted all Preview files, and re-renderd everything but the audio is still red.

Only some of the audio is red, most audio on the video tracks still work.

Track is red and no sound, this is a wave file but it also drops out on video files:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/dlddesign/DLDDesign/RedAudio1.jpg

The Audio track is still good, and still in the project:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/dlddesign/DLDDesign/RedAudio2.jpg

If I have to replace the audio everytime I open a project this will take hours of work.

Any help????

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the audio conform files link is broken. Where are your media cache files stored and is this Mac or PC?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a PC, the files are still good, and the second photo shows the track in the project is still there and plays.

It is just the audio on the sequence is gone, even the name is the same.

Anyway to relink red tracks without replacing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Conform files are the audio files you see in the timeline. Those are the files that are broken. Go to your Media cache directory and select all. Delete all the files in there. Open Premiere and let it rebuild the media cache audio conform files. See if that fixes it.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Eric, that was my first try, and rebuilding it did not work.

No filters or effects are on the audio files, I can replace the audio, but if I have to do this everytime I open a project  . . .

I am on episode eight of 18 right now, I am scared to go back and open 1-7 in fear that the audio will not be linked.

I need to be done with up to episode ten tonight, but at this point I don't see how I can move forward with this issue.

Nothing like a software issue under pressure . . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new Media Cache folder on a different drive. Repeat the process to Delete the Media Cache by going to the current folder and manually dealing them. Go into AE or AME and change the current Media Cache folder to the new location. Then close AME or AE and Open your Project. Also when you change the Database folder and it asks you if you want to move or delete select delete btw.

Eric
ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done, it re-indexed everything and still have the red audio tracks.

I don't understand why it works in the bin but not in the sequence, the property's of both files are identical.

Also it has been working fine for the last seven episodes. 

Maybe we will just have to cut this season short . . .

Any more thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you right click on a red track and "Reveal in Project" it still links to the working file in the bin.

Funky Bug,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially the Audio file that is reading when on the timeline is the conformed file. That is how the audio and video is synced together. Once that link is broken to the conform file then you wont see a audio file available in the track even though the project file references the audio file in the Bin. Create a new Project on another drive. Import the project into the new project but select selected sequences only and only import 1 sequence. See if it will relink to the media in the new project. Make sure once again that you delete the media cache files before you import the project sequence into a new Project.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at all the red audio tracks, they are all "un-linked" to video, ether wave/mp3 or from a multi-camera sequence were the audio track was un-linked and put in to all of the audio tracks.

Thanks for your help and thougths, but I am still having issues, I need to just keep working, deadlines and all, hope it will still works tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thank you both for posting and helping.

I've decided to report this as a bug since it doesn't seem to be a stupid newbie mistake from my part, but rather something the program did on itself; and also, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to fix it.

Again, thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the same issues? Just today I had the same exact problem.

Audio is red and now won't play on the timeline, but will play in the project folder in the viewer.

Audio file is a wav file, not an audio file from a video clip.

Was working 100% fine earlier today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, still same issue

No reply from adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted a wave file to a mp3 and it seems to work, but I still have to replace a few audio tracks everytime I open a project.

Are any of you on SSD drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is on an SSD (Revodrive X2), but the project (and all the files it uses) is on a local HDD.

edit: Premiere is on the SSD, by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That happened to me tonight. It wouldn't allow me to fix it on Audio Manager.  I accidentally cut my main audio track on that project. I saved my projuct and reopened it. A box popped up with those clips that were missing the audio. I located it in my harddrive and it restored everything. The reason it happened to me was that I merged my interview video with a seperate audio recording replacing the windy camera recording. When I cut that main audio clip from my workspace, those merged clips lost connection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't this exact problem. Very very strange, have tried all the above steps to no avail.

It seems if I open one project A and copy / paste into project B, all works until I save/ close/ reopen. Then all of the audio files are red and don't play. On initial paste it looks/plays fine.

Driving me nuts..

On another project my transitions and fades are gone, and if I copy a timeline clip with transitions into that project it doesn't copy with the transitions.. AHH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we all should submit this a bug to adobe using their form:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Hoping (in vain...) that they fix this for the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that happens to me too but i solve thise problem

i notic that this pug caused by the latest update of premiere

to solve this problem

keep your projects as it is & dont try to alter it

remove premiere from your system or remove your system & set up new one

instal permiere cs6.0 (which you downloaded  the original one with no updates )

refuse to update your program if you asked to

open your projects & it will open intact with no problems

i hope this be helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the red audio w/ no sound issue too!  Everything was working fine, til I reloaded the project (mere minutes after I closed it.). I am using Adobe Premiere CS6.0.2 on a PC (Dell XPS8300: i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz) running Windows 7.

(First let me state, while I have been using Premiere Pro & Premiere Elements for 5+ years, I am definitely NO expert. Also, I started this post in despiration, but have concluded with my workaround that works.)

If I recall correctly, here's what I did:

• Several months ago, I created Version 1 of the prproj in CS3. It contained only one .MOV file (filmed on my camera).
  • I made several audio volume adjustments & splices throughout the file, saved it, but decided to not work on it until I bought CS6.
  • In between that time, I renamed the MOV file.
  • Fast forward to today, when I started to edit it in CS6. Obviously, I had to locate the renamed file. No problem, until...
  • I realized the project settings were not optimal for the source file.
  • I used a different project that had better settings and imported the MOV file and saved it as Version 2.
  • But I did not want to lose the volume adjustments I made on the Version 1.
  • I opened Version 1, unlinked the audio, copied all the audio segments, pasted it into Version 2, linked it with the video track and deleted the previous audio track already in Version 2.
  • All seemed well as I continued to edit the project making several volume adjustment & new razor edits for several hours.
  • I saved Version 2. Closed it to check on a different project.
  • When I reopened Version 2, the Audio Track was in red and contained no information.
  • It seems to still be wanting the audio to be the old filename from Version 1, or something!

I have attempted to change the MOV filename name back to the original filename, but that did not help. Still in red.

I have saved several versions and played around with it, but could never get the audio to link back up.

Here's my workaround (I don't know if this will help anyone else, but unless someone has a better idea besides uninstalling/reinstalling/not-updating, which I suspect would not have fixed this issue):

I added the original MOV file into the project, sandwiching the edited version then copy & pasted the attributes for each edited segment. That took much less time than typing this all up. .  But since I had already started this post, I figured I'd post my "fix."

Hope it might help someone, but I still would love to know how to get the audio file to point to the right thing again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just come across the same problem. I've put together a short video demonstration of the problem in hopes that someone who knows what to look for might be able to discern what is going on when this happens.

*edit: The narration gets cut off at the end of the video, but all I go on to say is that the problem is only with audio, never video, even when the audio is natively linked to video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeqnqM0FgiE&feature=youtu.be

File type does not seem to play any role. Wav, Mov, and MP3 behave the same. Audio that is attached to video and standalone audio behave the same.

I have copy/pasted sequences and footage without issue many times in the recent past. The problem is new.

The only change to my system that could possibly have an effect is my recent upgrade from the trial version of CS6 to a licensed, rental version under the Creative Cloud. But because I had already installed Premiere Pro for the trial, there was no need to reinstall the program. I believe one update was downloaded sometime in the last week, as well.

I have tried deleting all files in the Media Cache folder and all files in the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files folder in hopes that Premiere Pro would 'rebuild' the conformed audio files once I reopened the projects, but this has not seemed to have any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try putting the playhead over the problem clip and then perform a Match Frame operation.  I don't know if it will fix this particular issue, but it has fixed other copy/paste audio problems.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Match Frame. Before performing Match Frame, the audio displays as unlinked in the Source window (next to Effects Controls). After the operation, it reloads the footage with the waveform and all in the Source window, but remains unlinked in the timeline. So, still no dice.

ECBowen sounded like he was on to something with getting Premiere to rebuild the conform files, but because it's such a background process I'm finding it difficult to be certain I've properly cleared everything. Is there a way to set a new Media Cache folder as you would the scratch disk folder?

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines