Skip navigation
kin090
Currently Being Moderated

Can i have CS5 and CS6 installed in the same computer ?

Sep 12, 2012 6:55 PM

I have CS5 installed in my computer ,can i install cs6 and maintain  cs5 until i get used to cs6 ?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 12, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to kin090

Absolutely, yes.  I do.  If you've got the disk space it can be handy to refer back to for a long time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, but somtimes the right app doesn't respond, like Bridge goes to CS5 instead of CS6. I had both on mine but decided that space would be better for another app. Then everything opened where I wanted it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to kin090

I have Photoshop 7.x through 13.0.1 installed on my machine.  On the Mac I can even run more than one version of Photoshop simultaneously; all I have to do is launch the older version(s) first.  Out of an abundance of caution I do assign different volumes as scratch disks to each of them.

@ Larry:  When the wrong version of Bridge launches on your PC, you must have the option to launch Bridge at login set in prefs. 

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,978 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Sep 12, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

That is because on PS's only the CS5 or CS6 bridge can be run at any given time.  Bridge sometime get setup to run automaticly on machines and there is an icon in the task bar on windows machines.  Bridge that is running and it may not be the one you currently want.  You need to change you system so that the Bridge does not start automaticly and also terminate when you exit bridge and not just minimize to the task bar.,

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to station_two

Yes, I know that. However, if you have both versions available, you may sometimes want Bridge to open either version, but that choice isn't available (AFAIK!). So forgetting to change back and in any case, having to mess with resetting prefs adds to the work load so I simply uninstalled CS5.

The only reason I held on to CS5 was for the saner crop tool. I absolutely HATE cs6 crap crop tool. The fact that the stupid crap crop frame doesn't go away after committing the crap crop is unconscionable! Every time I use it I have to use a dark gray background color to be sure I didn't miss the edge, something I rarely screwed up in earlier versions.

Did I mention I hate the CS6 crap crop tool?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 12, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to JJMack

Every Windows user ought to be running Autoruns occasionally to review what's starting and running on their systems (Mac users too, though it's not done with the same tools).  You should know every single program that's using your resources.  In the case of Bridge there's a configuration seting in the Bridge preferences to control it, but when it's set you'll see an entry in Autoruns.

Personally I've turned off most of the crap Adobe starts, and lo and behold Photoshop CS6 still runs perfectly.  Beyond Bridge, you've gotta wonder why they feel it necessary to run AdobeCS5ServiceManager and the SwitchBoard service when they don't do much for Photoshop.  Maybe they're needed when you have the whole suite in, I dunno.  Beyond those things, for Photoshop CS6, I have even more stuff from Photoshops CS5 and CS4 disabled.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to JJMack

Minimize to Task bar is far preferable to exit and restart. I suppose if I had Noel's

machine I could tolerate restarting time but I insist on having Bridge, PS and DxO running and minimized.

At any rate, I grin and bear it with the crop tool (There! I said it!) and go only with CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I just ran Autorun and wow! The number of entries was staggering. But looking at Startup only got it down to reasonable levels.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points