Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video card importance on a dedicated encoding computer

Sep 13, 2012 11:39 AM

Hello,

We are looking into getting a separate computer specifically for encoding from AME. This computer will not even have Premiere on it most likely.

The purpose of this is because out IT dept. won't allow us to stay logged in and encode overnight

This computer will have top of the line processor and memory amount.

My question is: A top of the line gfx card isn't necessary correct? Since we won't be taking advantage of NVidia's acceleration because we will be encoding straight from AME.

What would be a decent gfx to have in this case?

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Bucketheadd

Encoding from what to what?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Bucketheadd

Better get a very cheapy nVidia GT 630 with 1 GB DDR5 for around $ 70 or a GTX 550 Ti for around $ 110, since there is scaling all around so hardware MPE is very usefull. ATI Fire is a waste of money. Another suggestion is to increase the amount of memory to at least 12 GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Bucketheadd

Forget the single Xeon ($1450) and instead get an n/vidia card.  Right now I would suggest a GTX 660 Ti

For a single CPU get an i7 it will do better than a single Xeon and is overclockable

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to Bucketheadd

HD footage .prproj's --> .wmv's, .flv's, and .mp4's using AME

I don't think you can encode a sequence from a PP project without having PP installed.  You may have to export a lossless intermediate file out of PP to encode on a machine without PP.  But then, that rather defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do here.  So you'll probably have to have PP installed on the encoding machine.  Which means you'll need any plug-ins also installed (which usually means a separate license), and you'll need all media transferred over to the encoding machine, and since it's basically a replica of the editing machine, it would be very helpful to have the nVidia card for acceleration.

In short, getting your IT guys to back off is probably the better option here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Bucketheadd

Since you cannot buy Adobe Media Encoder seperately, I would guess that you cannot install it alone.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Bucketheadd

Security is so tight it’s ridiculous.

And what does that have to do with leaving the machine on all night?  You can lock a room.  You can disconnect from a network.  None of those very simple security measures will require a duplicate machine to be built, with duplicate licenses for all software.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points