Skip navigation
CedricGall
Currently Being Moderated

Lost Newbie, help needed for building dream machine

Sep 14, 2012 2:34 AM

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if you could tell me what you think about this setup for premiere, after effects and speed grade use:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/trundrumbalind/saved/#savedbuild_167634

I know it's probably an overkill, but what do you guys think?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 14, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to CedricGall

First off, I would not go for that particular discrete sound card: It is not sufficiently better in quality than onboard audio to justify the $58 cost. What's more, that card is not a true X-Fi card at all; in fact, it is basically a descendant of the old software-based Ensoniq AudioPCI, which (mis)uses the CPU for most audio tasks (there is a controller chip on that card, but that chip is very similar to the codec-based onboard audio).

Second, the RAM and motherboard are both overkill. In fact, you might not be able to run all four sticks of RAM at anywhere near its DDR3-2133 speed. Intel (and JEDEC) officially limit the maximum memory speed with a fully-populated memory controller to only DDR3-1333 speed. You can run that memory at the DDR3-2133 speed using an XMP profile - but then, you're limited to running only two sticks of RAM total at that speed. Besides, that quad-channel kit is really meant for LGA 2011 platforms, not LGA 1155 platforms. And the motherboard actually costs as much money as or more money than many good X79 LGA 2011 motherboards. Remember, the LGA 1155 platform has only two memory controller channels, not four. The official JEDEC spec allows the implementation of up to four ranks per memory controller channel - albeit at only up to DDR3-1333 speed. With DDR3-1600 and higher-speed RAM as well as all RAM running using XMP profiles, JEDEC officially limits such operation to only two ranks per channel (one double-sided DIMM, such as in all 8GB DIMMs, already eats up two ranks per slot).

In other words, that setup is a waste of money at that price point. Why spend $2600+ on a limited LGA 1155 build when you could have gotten a superior-performing LGA 2011 build with an i7-3930K for the same price or slightly less? As a matter of fact, I would personally not spend more than about $2000 for LGA 1155.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to CedricGall

I agree with RjL190365, then I'd verify if ddr3 you have chosen and Noctua CPU fan are compatible. If ram is not LP kit (low profile) you could have problem

Power supply is understimated for your system also

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to Fabio Pis

Yes, I overlooked those two. There is severely insufficient dlearance between the DIMM slots on the motherboard and the Noctua heatsink - but those Vengeance DIMMs have extremely high heatsinks. As a result, those DIMMs will not even fit underneath the CPU heatsink at all! (Especially since the Noctua CPU heatsink's design will completely overhang over three of the four DIMM slots.) This is because those Vengeance DIMMs have heatsinks that are more than two inches high - but the NH-D14 heatsink leaves only about 1.75 inches of space between the bottom of the heatsink and the DIMM slots when properly mounted. Thus, a 2.25-inch DIMM will not even physically fit into a 1.75-inch space.

Also, I agree about the PSU (although that entire rig could be handled safely by a GOOD quality 550W PSU - but unfortunately, the Antec Basiq BP550+ is not a very good 550W PSU, having its +12V capacity that's more like a 460W to 480W PSU than a 550W PSU). You see, that PSU provides only 37A (444W) on the +12V rail (NEVER add up all of the rails!) - whereas a GOOD 550W PSU provides 42A on the +12V rail.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to CedricGall

Unless something has changed since I saved these discussion links, you do NOT want to try and use SSD drives for frequent write operations

SSD and Video Editing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/902915?tstart=0

-and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492104

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to CedricGall

Still weak on the PSU. That particular Rosewill is not one of its better PSUs. In fact, it has even less capacity on the +12V rail than the Basiq BP550+. Only 35A, or 420W, combined on the +12V rails - which is insufficient for an LGA 2011 build with a properly performance-matched discrete GPU.

And as I stated, your new choice of the Audigy SE sound card is no improvement over the X-Fi Xtreme Audio: It is yet another descendant of the old Ensoniq AudioPCI. In other words, neither of those cards is sufficiently better than onboard audio to justify spending any money on.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to CedricGall

Why two OCZ Vertex SSD's?

Why the Creative sound card?

Why Rosewill PSU?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 11:44 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

I have about same performance with a Corsair force gt 240 gb compared to a raid 0 with two WD velociraptor 600 gb each one.

For sure i don't edit with ssd but it has same performance of two WD velociraptor in raid 0

I have no attention for  benchmark disk test that in my system with aida 64 give a double speed in read test in advantage of my SSD drive.

In real test as PPBM5 results are the same

high costs for Gb, noise, space could help for choice

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to CedricGall

Because I've no idea what I'm doing... : (

That does not sound too good.

A single SSD for the boot disk looks enough IMO. You could use the funds you save to get another conventional disk. The OS disk is mainly used when starting an application but once it is running there is only limited activity on that boot disk. SSD's are not very suited to write to and with the costs, you may be better off getting an extra conventional disk to spread the load.

For sound, why not do what most do, use on-board sound.

For the PSU, get a 'Gold'+ rated PSU from a reputed brand, like Seasonic or Corsair.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to CedricGall

The Barracuda 7200.14 is a very good and fast disk but comes with a limited warranty. However, be aware of the 7200.11 or 7200.12 series, they are no good. The 11 series is an utter disaster, the 12 series is somewhat better, the 14 series is much better, but pay attention to DOA's and developing screeching noises.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

I like my 7200.14 1 and 2 TB drives a lot despite the short warranty they are excellent single drives and great RAID 0, 1 and 10 drives.  Funny thing the 1, 2, and 3 TB drives are made in Thailand where most of the hard drives in the world are made.  But on the other hand the 500 GB and lower 7200.14 drives are made in China. While the 1 TB and up drives have 64 MB of cache have a maximum sustained data read rate on the outside tracks of 210 MB/sec, the 500, 320 and 250 GB drives  have only 16 MB of cache and and the outer diameter tracks have a maximum sustained data read rate of 144 MB/second.  Benefit from my mistake of thinking they would all be as fast as my original 2 TB drives and stay away from the lower density drives!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points