Skip navigation
SFS-DPS
Currently Being Moderated

IPAD3 PINCH AND ZOOM

Sep 14, 2012 10:35 AM

Ok working my first ipad 3 rendision. Have a Pinch and Zoom or pan and zoom box and on the ipad3 its not allowing me to zoom in vary far? I have the asset at 4000x4000 px?

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 14, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to SFS-DPS

You'll get that behavior when you use a 1024x768 source document for the pan and zoom and create a 2048x1536 folio. When you're doing that, you'll want to scale the image by 50% so that the effective ppi is 144 pixels (the Info panel shows the image's effective ppi). (By the way, the upcoming v23 release will offer more options for this situation.)

From the Pan & Zoom help topic:

As a general rule, make sure that the image has the exact dimensions you want to use. For example, to pan a 1024-by-1024 pixel image within a 200-by-200 pixel view area, create a 1024-by-1024 image in 72 ppi. However, if you are using 1024x768 source documents in a 2048x1536 folio, using 72 ppi images can result in a different initial view experiences on different iPad models. One approach is to use layers to create different pan & zoom overlays for the different iPad sizes. Another approach is to scale the image by at least 50% so that the effective ppi is at least 144. That way, the initial view behavior remains identical, although the iPad 3 pan and zoom has a more restricted view area.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 14, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to SFS-DPS

Did you create a 2048x1536 alternate layout? Let's take a step back. What is the size of your source layout? What is the size of your folio? What are the dimensions and ppi setting of your pan & zoom image?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 14, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to SFS-DPS

It sounds like a bug. I'll look into it and get back to you. Unfortunately, I have a deadline (v23 help updates), so it might take me awhile.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 14, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Would you mind sending the InDesign file and test images to me? bbringhu@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 14, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I can get the files to you Monday thanks bob.

I look fwd to working out this work flow.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 17, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to SFS-DPS

Thanks. I'll let you know what I find out.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,649 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Sep 18, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I heard back from the tester:

"I've had a good look at this and can't figure it out. I do have a workaround, if that helps him. But he's probably already figured it out....

The image pan on the first layout does work, it's the ones on the alternate layouts that provoke the error. With those, no matter how I resize the containing rectangle, or copy it, resize it, or scale it I can't get it to work. If I just draw a new rectangle the same size and paste in the image it does work (that's the workaround).

Somehow the rectangles on the alternate layouts got damaged to the extent that they're confused about their size or coordinates. That corruption may just be a fluke. However, one theory is that he scaled the rectangle in InDesign at some point and then had Scale as one of his alternate layout policies. I couldn't reproduce the bug using that scenario, however.

It would be nice to know if he hits the same issue with a new file and new assets, built using the same steps - but I don't know if it's worth the trouble."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points