Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ID CS 4 exporting PDF books with low-res graphics

Jun 20, 2012 8:54 PM

I've been exporting ID CS 4 documents to PDF with absolutely no problems, but today I created a book containing multiple documents, and I'm running into a snag when exporting.

If I open a single document and export as PDF, everything is fine. All the images in the document are rendered in high resolution.

If I open a book containing that very same document as well as another document, then I export the book as PDF, many, but not all, of the graphics in the original document are rendered in very low resolution. See image below.

Why? I didn't change a single thing in the dialog box for exporting to PDF.

I did several tests and it appears that if I open all the documents which comprise the book, all the images in the exported PDF are high resolution as desired. However, ultimately I want to create a book with 120+ documents, and there's no way I can keep them all open in memory without ID crashing. Yes, I suppose I can open a subset of the documents, export them, then combine the PDFs in Acrobat, but that's a cludge workaround.

Surely ID CS4 should be able to properly export as PDF a book containing a lot of documents with images, but damned if I can figure out what's causing these low-res images to appear.

If anyone has a solution, I would be very grateful if you'd share it with me.

http://www.banknotenews.com/images/pdf.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

It looks a lot like the links are missing. Have you checked to be sure they're all up to date in the individual files and saved the files?

Waht patch level are you using for CS4? What's the OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

Are all of these links in the same folder, or a subfolder of the same folder? Is the path to these links really long, or does it have any non-alphanumeric characters in it someplace?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

You should not need all the files open, as far as I know. ID ought to open them in the background and close them again. Does it make a difference in you export if the files ARE opened first?

You say the low res images are details from the same link as the larger images? What's the effective resolutuion that's being shown for them?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

Are you, by chance, running Suitcase? I recall a bug in Suitcase that was changing the link status on .psd files when a document was closed. If, in fact, something is happening to the links, then asking to update before the files are opened makes sense, but that still doesn't explain why it's only the magnified details that are being affected and not the entire image instances.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

Personally, I'd still like to know why the links aren't up to date, but if you're happy, that's all that really matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

I think there's something going on on your system that is making ID think the links are not up to date, and by not having the options checked you wind up using the low res proxies. It disturbs me that you haven't been getting a warning, though, when you try to export, but perhaps you turned it off at some point. It could be instructive to "reset all warning dialogs" in the prefs, then uncheck the link options again, and see if a warning pops up when you try to export withthe files closed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

I don't have a lot of files to test with, but I have one book that has about a dozen component files and around 200 images that's still in CS4. I just tried and export withthe docs closed here, and ID opened them all, as expected, exported, and reclosed them. I see no signs of image degradation, but these are not scaled images -- they were all converted to the correct profiles and scaled in Photoshop and then re-linked during the editing process, and I run Windows, and I'm only at 6.0.5 because this book has a number of Illustrator charts that I spent hours getting right in the first edition and I didn't want to risk them changing, so it may be an apples to oranges comparison.

The last thing I have for a suggestion to try would be a manual prefs replacement (so you can put your current set back when it turns out to be irrelevant). See Replace Your Preferences

Other than that, I'd say you may have found yourself a bug, and there's not a chance in the world that it will ever be fixed for CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

Are you running into a memory problem?  Do the images just appear low resolution but later print in high resolution?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

well I hope it all works out well - best of luck

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

What was the solution? I'm running into the same issue. =\

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Owen Linzmayer

Hmm... I had those all checked (except create links), and it still outputs as low-res.

The one thing I did that helped was in Graphics: Images, I selected send data: all instead of optimized subsampling. There was still image degradation, but was significantly better.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points