• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Adobe Premiere Pro CS Run/Work On A 32-bit Edition Of Windows 7?

Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to know if Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 will be able ot run/work on a

32-bit version of Windows 7.

I.E. on a laptop. Yes, The laptop will be just able to run the program, providedthe program will run on a 32-bit operaing system.

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not even install on a 32 bit OS.  You must have 64 bit Windows.

It does seem to be running just fine under Windows 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jim stated, an emphatic NO. Premiere Pro CS6 is 64-bit exclusive, and thus requires an entirely 64-bit system (CPU and OS). If your system has only a 32-bit OS installed, Premiere Pro versions since CS5 will not even install at all, let alone run at all, on that system. The last version of Premiere Pro to support Windows x32 was CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of PrPro CS 5, it is ONLY a 64-bit program, requiring a 64-bit OS to install/run. Going back to CS 5, if one had the Production Premium suite, PrPro CS 4 (32-bit) was included. I do not recall any 32-bit versions of any of the Production Studio, or Master Collection, being included with CS 6.

It is an OS upgrade, or nothing.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, Thank you 3 both. Now I hve one final question on this forum.

Can you get a laptop with a 64-bit operating system, and if so, how does it handle, compared to a 32-bit? e.g. Faster, slower, runs hotter etc. (I know there are a lot of variables in that, but just in general.)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet with any editing system is to wipe the hard drive and install Windows yourself, then install only those programs you need for editing.  Use a second computer for everything else, like web surfing, email, games, etc.

So from that perspective, yes you can have a laptop with a 64 bit OS.  You just need to buy the right version of Windows.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy a Laptop that is designed and built for Video Editing http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A well-designed laptop, with a 64-bit OS will perform all functions w/ 64-bit programs, much faster. There should be no downside to that 64-bit OS.

I think that John T's link will point you in the right direction regarding a new laptop w/ 64-bit OS.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer this is a question and you've been very helpfull to me.

I have a Dell machine that the processers are 86 meaning 32 my current OS in XP pro I'm updateing to Window 7 64 bit sp1 pro.Then I plan on getting Prem Pro CS6. I'm looking at the specs it saying I need a 64 bit processer talk to Adobe Tech they said everything would be fine I don't get it. Seem like I've got a problem. If CS6 won't work will CS4 work using the windows 7 pro in 32 bit mode

Think that covers it

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to be much more specific, what is the processor name/model number?  Just because it is x86 does not tell us enough.  Chances are if it is XP based that you will be struggling with CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz Dual Core this is what I know not great at this stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder how much these would get you in an antiquities store? They ought to have some value for collectors of ancient stuff. Similar to the Eniac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate coming here to me to ask a legitmate question what do I get from you sarcasm. Glad your rich and full of pride

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it's too old to run Premiere Pro CS6 - and also below Adobe's stated minimum requirements. The Pentium D is based on the now-very-obsolete NetBurst technology (used on the original Pentium 4), and it is extremely inefficient (in terms of performance per clock cycle). Adobe requires a Core 2 Duo (or a Core 2-based Pentium Dual-Core, not to be confused with the archaic Pentium D) at an absolute minimum to run Premiere Pro CS6 at all. But because of its 64-bit-exclusive operation, a Core i5 or higher is better if you're going to run CS6 at all.

As for CS4, the Pentium D still barely meets Adobe's practical minimum requirements for HDV, and insufficient for AVCHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a clear answer my CS 4 Runs except for a sometime crash but I've learned to live with it. What I wanted to avoid is formating my computer to Window 7 64bit Pro and discovering CS 4 would not work any longer which is something the Windows 7 advisor said and I need to upgrade but now I see that is not possible.

As I mentioned Adobe said CS6 would work I did not believe them and to format and discover I had to go back to XP would be a waist of time.

Final question of the day will CS4 run on Windows 7 64 bit Pro under XP Mode if it won't I'm not installing Windows 7 and leaving things as they are.

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not bother to make a fresh format and install of everything on this system. Sure it cleans up a lot, but there is no gain from going though all the time and effort of a fresh install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I do not know or understand this stuff I do my best with what I have. Your comment on is it worth the effort seem if I did do this I'd be waisting my time. Since I gain nothing switching to Window 7 it would seem point less to install it other than the fact Windows XP will soon be a discontinued support item in the near future. I'd do it if I knew Pre Pro CS 4 would work thought what do you think would it. Love to buy new one but with what I do there's no great point in doing that I know it's old but it works great.

Someone tell me will  PP CS 4 work on it Windows 7 sp 1 64 bit even though it may not be a great move if it will work even to a slight advantage

or should I get the 32bit

Sorry this is the only way I know how to get the answers

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reese,

The system you currently have is very outdated. I had a similar outdated server (2004) here that died the other day and the only solution was to get a new one. It made no sense to replace parts, the costs would have been too high in relation to getting it back up on its feet, so I decided to get a new server. You are in a somewhat similar situation. One of these days your system will die of old-age. Well, that is the major risk of being born, sometime in the future you will die. Being born is deadly, just like smoking if we believe the statements on cigarette packs.

The best approach I can offer is to start saving for a new system. Let your old system run as it is, don't invest time or money to keep it going. Instead have a look at some of the FAQ articles, like Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

Another way to show you about planning for the future is here: Planning and Buiding a new NLE system.

My editing system is getting pretty old and I know I need to replace it sometime in the (not too distant) future, so I plan ahead and consider all my options. Sure, this is not a system for everybody and likely it will end up in the € 7 K range, but I show it to give you an example of how you might go about building a new system.

I realize you may not be up to speed with all the technical jargon, but if you take your time reading these pages, it may help you to get acquainted with the basics you need to know for a new system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found something related to Windows 7 being ok running CS4 hope it's accurate

I started looking I can get a Dell XPS again the 8500 model that should do all I need it to do here where I'm at.

I'll look into your links

I get these ideas that I need to improve something then find it hard to hold myself back.

31 is something I found tested link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have something with Dell:

• They have a great price/quality if you select a base system and do not add anything.
  • They steal you blind if you add anything to the base configuration.
  • They can not deliver a video editing system because that is not their target market.
  • They cripple their BIOS, so they can not be overclocked.
  • They make life miserable with custom connectors instead of standard molex connectors.

FYI, I just bought a Dell Precision T410 server with dual Xeon E5620 CPU's, 16 GB RAM and 2 x 500 GB disks, no extended service, no OS, nothing else for € 1,315 which seems reasonable. All the rest I did myself (well, more accurately, my son did it). Installed an old LSI PERC raid controller, added 5 x 1 TB disks and a DVD burner from the old server and installed ISXi 5.1 on a USB stick and it is running nicely.

If you want to get a video editing system and do not want to build it yourself, forget about Dell, go to ADK Video Editing and ask for Eric Bowen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm Millaard wrote:

FYI, I just bought a Dell Precision T410 server   ...

If you want to get a video editing system and do not want to build it yourself, forget about Dell, go to ADK Video Editing and ask for Eric Bowen.

Harm, why didn't you buy a server from ADK? Well OK, they don't make servers - then not from a customer server shop?  (with SuperMicro, Asus, Tyan, EVGA COTS components)? Cheaper, no custom un-molex hell...

Right, few others have on-site warranty, the quality of engineering that goes into that server, warranty options, maintenance and monitoring options. Same with HP.

You don't think some of those factors could apply to an editing system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, but this only applies to me, not to the average person, I don't need on-site warranty, maintenance and monitoring from third parties, whether Dell, HP or whatever name, I have the support on-site. My son helps Dell, HP, and a number of other companies with their server problems, not the other way around. This is lucky for me and not the average situation.

For an editing system you are best served with a company that KNOWS what editing entails like ADK. Unfortunately Dell, HP, and name a lot of others have no idea what video editing means. They probably have never even installed PR on any system, let alone have any idea how it works.

Harm, why didn't you buy a server from ADK? Well OK, they don't make servers - then not from a customer server shop?  (with SuperMicro, Asus, Tyan, EVGA COTS components)? Cheaper, no custom un-molex hell...

I needed a system the next day and found nothing cheaper and with faster delivery than Dell as I said:

• They have a great price/quality if you select a base system and do not add anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My son helps Dell, HP, and a number of other companies with their server problems, not the other way around.

I hear you. Without your son, they wouldn't even know how to go about fixing their server problems...

Ask your son if there are reasons IT departments buy Dell and HP servers outside of speedy delivery, inertia and legacy reasons. Engineering reasons. Share his response with us, please.

Unfortunately Dell, HP, and name a lot of others have no idea what video editing means.

That's what this forum and specialty integrators are for?

After all, there gotta be a reason Z800 (and before that, xw series) has been the staple of video editing in Windows - for large post houses, .gov, etc.  Or the fact that Z800 is the most recommended system for video editing - by Adobe, Avid, Sony, Grass Valley.

Regardless - what you said about getting base Tier 1 configurations and adding storage, memory, GPUs yourself - couldn't agree more - unless there is a lot of disposable income. Buying systems from specialty integrators who know their stuff - ditto.

(I am seriously off-topic here - sorry about that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask your son if there are reasons IT departments buy Dell and HP servers outside of speedy delivery, inertia and legacy reasons. Engineering reasons. Share his response with us, please.

The resons are simple, single source of supply, corporate rebates, attractive price/quality for the bulk of the users. Reliable machines for everyday office work. Great standardization. Simple roll-out and maintenance. Single slip-streamed installation. Easy Help desk.

But read some of the posts here and you will notice a number of common issues with users that have an IT department lurking around. Problems with slip-streamed installations, user rights, storage policies, lacking hardware, lack of understanding the needs of users, etc. All too often the IT department does not understand issues, that are raised here because 99% of the employees can use their standard Dell or HP for office applications or accounting without problems. Why would you need administrative rights? Nobody gets them outside IT. Why do you need a different disk configuration? Use the storage server. You are running out of disk space? Use an external USB disk, we still have a number laying around. Why do you need a nVidia card? Everybody works without problems with the base AMD/ATI card. You want more memory. Sorry, we have a standard configuration for everybody, including you. We make no exceptions.

Sounds familiar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds familiar?

Haha, totally!  Usually it's my clients who have to swim against that stream quite often.  Then they can't do their job, go upstairs, and get clearance to (a) call me for a quote for customized Z820s, (b) set up a media lab that is not under direct control of the IT folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines