Skip navigation
RobSher1
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for Areca RAID HW Recommendations

Sep 15, 2012 12:32 PM

I need to get an 8 disk tower enclosure and a reasonably priced 6G controller + six disks. My budget is 2-3K.

I've done lot's of research and found several sources, but don't know which sellers are the most reliable and not sure which disks to get (manufacturer and size 2,3,4 TB)? I want the most reliable combination which is why I'm primarily thinking Areca for the enclosure and controller, but am open to other suggestions. Super high performance is not a priority.

I have a P6X58D Premium ASUS MB, Intel Core I7-920, 14 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 480, Internal RAID 10 for my system disk and an internal three disk RAID 0.

I currently have a RR231x controller and TowerRAID TR8X-B enclosure with 4 WD Black 2GB disks that are starting to flake out and have had to rebuild the RAID 5 twice in two days (so I'll be ordering on Monday). I was cash strapped at the time and doing this more as a hobby. We are now starting a video production business and I can't affort to have disk issues.

I've checked arecaraid, sansdigital, atacom and B&H, but they are closed next week.

Thanks... Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to RobSher1

How about starting here: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/cpu-mobo and continue to the next page about disks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to RobSher1

Rob,

I live in the Netherlands, so 'our' marketplace is quite different from say the USA or Canada or Australia. The site I normally use to find a good store for whatever I'm looking for is http://tweakers.net/

Specifically for Areca stuff I look at Max ICT, Azerty or Webconnexxion, but they are Dutch shops. For other stuff I also look at German and Swiss sites, since I go to Switzerland regularly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Sep 15, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to RobSher1

Rob,

Are you planning to get ARC-1882x and CineRAID CR-T08E?

Here is a little something to worry about. It's likely purely a firmware problem and should be fixed soon, but for now, I'd go with ATTO controllers.

Disks: on paper, HGST 7K4000 enterprise class drives are the best: 5 year warranty, 2m hrs MTBF, fast.  Served me well thus far.

If it's in the cards, I'd also go for RAID6 rather than RAID5.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Sep 15, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to RobSher1

Rob,

I am a specialty integrator in Los Angeles, authorized Areca and CineRAID VAR.

If you are looking for a larger online retailer - there just aren't too many for CineRAID products, for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to RobSher1

Rob,

Personally, I much prefer putting all drives in the PC. I really like Supermicro's hot-swap device which mounts 5 drives in the space of three 5.25" drive bays. I do however change out supermicro's fan with a MUCH quieter version for video editing purposes.

For an external 8-drive enclose, you already own the exact model that I would purchase if I needed one. An even quieter solution, although far from elegant, is to build your own drive enclosure using a PC case (Antec 900 o9r 1200 work pretty well) with its own power supply (paper clip trick allows for turning on without having a motherboard to connect to).

Dump the RocketRaid immediately!!! Even as a non-professional, I moved far away from the consumer RAID controller cards a long time ago and will never go back. Areca is my favorite for now; the reliability and tools that come with the expensive RAID controllers are truly in a different league. They sound expensive, but I do suggest getting the battery backup option for your controller. Whether or not you think you need the battery backup, it may help for faster caching options to be enabled on your controller.

For drives, you can certainly buy the uber expensive enterprise SATA or SAS drives for your RAID. Many of us however have had excellent success using the much lower priced consumer drives with Areca controllers even though they are not "certified" by Areca for that service.

If you are located in the USA, Newegg is pretty hard to beat as a supplier. I also order from Amazon, eBay, Provantage, and Directron from time to time and have had good luck with all of them over the years.

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to RobSher1

You may also want to look at LSI and their 9286 series of adapter’s they offer outstanding customer service and firmware validation as well as specialized firmware for added security, recovery or performance enhancements. As for vendors when personally ordering I go with CDW, Newegg, Amazon ( direct ).

If you end up going with the Areca make sure you get the PCB revision 3.0 as it supports Gen 3 operation. While currently you do not have a Gen 3 capable system this could provide a considerable increase in performance depending on how you evolve your system overtime ( not just from a bandwidth standpoint but on the efficiency of data transmission ).

Due to you use in a complex raid set and extensive operation and variable power initialization i would advise a RE4 series WD drive or their new RED series both focus at RAID and high end storage system needs.

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Sep 15, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to frogo369

Due to you use in a complex raid set and extensive operation and variable power initialization i would advise a RE4 series WD drive or their new RED series both focus at RAID and high end storage system needs.

Are RE4 3G and, like, four years old? Max capacity 2TB?  They are decent drives - just old tech.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Sep 15, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to RobSher1

I'm going to ... get an Areca arc-1882x

You did see that there is an issue with read speeds on RAID levels others than 0? Just making sure.

Does the Areca controller require enterprise drives or can I use the WD Blacks?

Does not require, will work with desktop models - but Areca may refuse support.  I.e. if you have an issue with performance or anything else, their first question is, what drives are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to RobSher1

Rob,

Both Areca and LSI have great raid controllers and their price is comparable. The major difference is that Areca supports raid3 and 30 in addition to the raid levels that both brands support and Areca supports up to 4 GB cache, while LSI is fixed at 1 GB cache.

This article may be of interest before deciding on which brand to get: Adobe Forums: Raid Performance and Rebuild Issues

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points