Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Table of Contents crashes on update

Sep 14, 2012 11:58 AM

Tags: #cs4 #crash #indesign #book

I am running InDesign CS4. I have a book file with 5 files, most of which use a data merge. I have a Table of Contents that I processed successfully until today. I wanted to include a new paragraph tag in the TOC. Each time I try to do so, InDesign crashes. I do not use preferences so wasn't sure if I needed to clean out those settings and not clear how to do that. I tried exporting the TOC file to an IDML, but still have the same problem. Any help is appreciated.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 14, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

I would export each of the component files in the book to .inx (which in my experience works better than .idml for file cleanup) then resave them with new names (don't overwrite your old files, just in case..). Make a new Book file, add the new files and try the TOC again.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 5:04 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Mac or PC? On the Mac you'll get a crash report that could tell us something. If you have on, put it on pastebin.com and post a link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Unfortunately, Windows isn't very helpful with reports, so we resort to pure guesswork and have to ask a bunch of questions to look for clues.

Where do we stand now? You tried the new book from rebuilt files approach and it didn't work, right?

Do you have a font manager? Do you have any third-party plugins installed for ID?

What happens if you do the following:

Create a new file with the same document setup as the one that is giving you trouble. Go to the pages panel and select Master A, then rename it to something like zz to be sure it does not have the same name as any master in the file causing trouble.

Open the problem file, select all the pages in the Pages panel by clicking on the first page, holding the shift key and clicking on the last page, then open the panel flyout menu and select Move Pages...

In the move Dialog that will, insert the pages BEFORE page 1 and choose the new file you just made as the destination. Don't delete the pages after moving.

Back in the new file, delete the original page 1 which is now the last page in the file. IF you redefined [Basic Paragraph] in your other file, you'll want to redfine it to match in the new file. Save with a brand new name.

Does that new file crash when you work with the TOC?

If it still crashes...

What happens if you create a brand new user account on your PC and try to work in that one?

You mentioned above something about a version that does not crash? Does that mean you have a older backup you could use, if all else fails?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

A new user accoutn means adding a new identity to the list of users who can log on. You do it from Windows Control Panel under Users.

Let's back up just a bit, because I'm not sure we're completely on the same page here.

In the new file that you made by moving pages, which should not be included in any book at the moment, are you able to add a new TOC? you can put tit anywhere, evn the pasteboard, for testing.

If you can, can you create a new Book file, then Add the new file to the book (ID defults to looking in the last location you did this operation, so if the new file is in a new directory, you need to navigate to the new directory on your own)? Can you make a TOC from the Book panel for this new Book?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

You need to move the pages for all the files into new files as you did for the first one (it might only be one that's the problem, but which one? so do them all). save all of these new files with new names so you aren't overwtiing anything, thenmake a brand new book and add all of these new files into that new book. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Sorry, my fault. I'm misremembering the procedure for adding the TOC to a book (I only need to do it about once a year). You have to add it to one of the files and check the "Include Book Documents" checkbox.

So are you saying that you can make a TOC if the file is all alone and you don't check the include book docs checkbox, but if you add it to a book it crashes?

In some ways that's actually a good sign, I think. If that describes the situation, it might be as simple as currupt preferences, which is really easy to fix. See Replace Your Preferences

You might not even need to move pages if it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

You can select each document in the book panel and from the flyout menu choose Replace Document... whcich should allow you to navigate to the correct directory, but I'd be much more inclined to build a brand new book and carefully add the files from the correct locations. I'm not sure, and can't think of a way to really test without creating the new book, whether the problem is just in the existing book file or is generalized.

Did you try making a new user? That's a very good way to test if the problem is in the program or the files, or in your exisiting user account.

You mentioned earlier that you can't export the original files to .idml. That's also pretty disturbing. Does the file you made from the moved pages export to .idml? if it does, that might be a good reason to do them all and use the new versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Style names aren't reserved, but where are these styles in use? TOCTitle sounds like a style you would apply to the title of the TOC itself, not something you would find in the body of your book. I can see where ID might hiccup if that style were applied inside the TOC and you tried to update. Let me test that... No, no hiccup here.

I never asked before if CS4 was patched. That was a silly oversight (waht can I say, it's Saturday and my brain is taking the day off). You should be at 6.0.5 at a minimum. Go to the Help menu and hold down the Ctrl key while you click About InDesign... You'll get a detailed info box wit the full build number in the upper left and save history for the active file in the lower left (which can be very useful).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

I'm really fried this morning. I did say .inx, and yes, I still stand by that.

Please bear with me.

I'll be going to lunch with a friend in a short while, so there may be a lag, but I'm not abandoning you....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Ah , yes, auto recovery. Try closing those files without saving when ID restarts. Probably won't make a differnce, but it would be good to not be using recovery files or files that have been through the crash and resaved.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

It's still sounding like it could be a problem in the user. It would really help if you were to create a new user account and log in with that to test.

I can also take a look here, if you like. We're about at the point where it will be easier for me to figure out waht the problem is if I can see the files. I'll send you an upload link and you can use it or not as you choose.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

That means with any luck it's just bad prefs in the original account. Log back in with that user, then follow the directions here: Replace Your Preferences

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Lindaholiner wrote:

but I never use preferences

You might not have taken the time to customize the prefs to suit yourself, but they are there and you use them. The prefs control how all of the optional choices in ID work, and some choice needs to be made, whether it's the default setting that is chosen when the program is installed, or a differnt option to suit your own work habits.

You should take the time to explore the prefs, you might see some things that you'd like to change to help you work more efficiently.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Twenty Questions is fun, right?

Basically I'm just stubborn and won't let go of a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

I think we just have to go back through the same steps again.

Can you open each of the files individually? If so, let's start by exporting each one to .inx, then open that and save as a new .indd file with a new name (do NOT overwrite your old files), then make a new book and add the files again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Sounds like perhaps one of the styles is corrupt. Do you remember which styles you added since it worked?

We might be able to correct the problem by creating a new style with a different name, but the same definition. Don't copy the old style or base the new one on it -- create the new one from scratch. Then delete the old style and ID will ask you to choose a replacement. Pick the new style, change the styles picked up in the TOC and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to Lindaholiner

Is it widely used?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Lindaholiner

So are you saying that the TOC will work if all the headings have the same style, but assigning any other style to the subheads causes a crash?

Are you still able to do a TOC for each individual chapter if you use two styles?

How many files are in the book?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points