Skip navigation
Paul Marquess
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot edit MPEG-2 in Windows Photoshop CS6

Sep 15, 2012 7:45 AM

Tags: #photoshop #windows_7 #cs6 #video_editing #mpeg-2 #64bits_cs6

Just upgraded to Photoshop CS6 and am attempting (unsuccessfully) to edit some MGEG2 content. The video content has been extracted from Windows DVRMS files using DVRMStoMPEGGUI. I can work with H264 content in Photoshop without a problem.

All MGEP2 videos play fine with both Quicktime and Windows Media Player.

Here  is what happens when I try to edit the file in Photoshop

1. File is read by photoshop and all looks fine. First frame is shown as expected.  (see screenshot below)
  2. If I try to play the video in photoshop, the elapsed time counters at the bottom give the impression that all is well, but the video does not play.
  3. Attempting to trim the video does update the overall timings of the video, but the first frame is still displayed.
  4. Rendering the video as H264 appears to work - the export dialog appears and a file does get created. THe H264 file export is playable, but consists of the first frame  displayed continually for the duration of the video..

Capture.PNG

I've checked through other discussions regarding editing MPEG-2 video content in Photoshop and another thread suggested checking that the video content is playable via Bridge. Like with Photoshop, Bridge displays the first frame of the MPEG2 in the thumbnail, but attempting to play it locks up Bridge completely.  Doing a "Reset Settings" with Bridge made no difference.

Any suggestions about how to troubleshoot this further?

Here is my setup

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0.1 (13.0.1 20120808.r.519 2012/08/08:21:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:4 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2660 MHz

Built-in memory: 24567 MB

Quicktime 7.72.80.56 + Quicktime MPEG2 7.60.92.0

Bridge 5.0.1.21 (x32)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 15, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Convert/ Transcodse it to something that PS actually can use - an image sequence, a Quicktime file, H.264, whatever. Any ffmpeg based converter like Handbrake or MPEG Streamclip can do that. Not even the video apps handle transport streams or recorded program streams, only proper MPEG-2 derivatives such as used in cameras...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to Paul Marquess

I will second the rec. to convert the files.

It might be useful to run one of them through the great, free utility, MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) to see exactly what is in it. As Mylenium points out, there are variations on the MPEG-2 CODEC. Some of those variations can be highly problematic, while some perform well. I suspect that your ripping program is just writing to a non-standard variation.

It could also be that your ripping program can be set to use, say MPEG-2 DVD, and that might solve the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Send me a PM (Adobe Private Message)*, with your e-mail address. I will upload a short 00;01:30:00 MPEG-2 DVD w/ PCM Audio to test with. It is about as "plain vanilla," as it gets for MPEG-2. You will then get an e-mail via YouSendIt, with a URL to download that file.

It's a test for a Project, that I just happened to have sitting around, and is part of a much longer Video, but should give you just what you need.

If that does not Import properly, then it is likely that you do not have the Adobe MainConcept MPEG-2 DVD CODEC properly installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Just click on my Profile, and to the upper-right of the screen, choose Send Private Message.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to Paul Marquess

I suppose "MPEG-2" support means some very specific derivative formats from cameras such as XDCAM, HDV or the MPEG-2 flavor of AVC - essentially the same as Premiere would handle. Beyond that I don't think you can expect any Adobe app to handle files e.g. from TV disk recorders. Adobe are pretty stiff about the matter and strictly adhere to the specs and licensing regulations which prevent this.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Paul,

The file is ready for you to download, and you should have received an e-mail from YouSendIt. Just go to the URL provided, download and test the file. I did not archive it with anything, like ZIP, so it should be a simple download, and then Import to PS-Extended.

Please let us know if that file will Import, play and edit correctly.

If not, then it could be that the Adobe MainConcept MPEG-2 DVD CODEC is not installed, or is improperly installed on your system. If necessary, we can use a utility to check for that CODEC on you system, but let's wait, until you have had a chance to test the file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Dang!

OK, let's check into the CODEC's, but as Windows Media Player does not contain its own CODEC's (like VLC Player, and some others), I suspect that it IS using the correct MPEG-2 DVD CODEC from your system.

Download and install the free AV file utility, G-Spot: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Launch it, and look on the Toolbar for Tables>Video CODEC's. Look down the list for MPEG, and check for the MPEG-2. What does that show? Do not worry if you get an error message about Adobe MainConcept MPEG-2, as Adobe hides their CODEC's, so that they cannot be overwritten.

I would also drag that MPEG-2 DVD file to G-Spot. If you look at the lower-left, there are Vid Aud columns with little squares, containing numbers. Those buttons will allow you to Render the file. As you complete step 1 for the Vid, button 2 will become active. Press that. Then button 3 will become active. Press that, and play the rendered file in G-Spot's little viewer. Did everything render and play properly there?

Good luck, and sorry that we had to go to this step, but please report.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Two more thoughts that I had:

With that MPEG-2 DVD Clip Selected, if you go to PS's File>File Info, what does it show?

In the Header of you Track 1, besides the little "filmstrip" icon, there is a Reveal Triangle. When you click that, what shows in the dropdown?

MPEG is supported (in many variations) by PS-Extended, and, based on Adobe Premiere Pro (the video-editing program), the installation adds all necessary CODEC's to the system, if they are not already installed. I now wonder if the installation completed 100%?

Have you tried any other file formats/CODEC's, such as DV-AVI, or MOV [Animation]? Do they work/play/edit fine?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Paul,

Thank you for the screen-caps. Based on the 3rd G-Spot screen-cap, something is wrong. I will now run that file through G-Spot on my system, to check, and get right back to you.

In the first screen-cap, I see that you have FFDShow installed. That app. has proved highly problematic with Adobe Premiere Pro (probably uses much of the same code, as the Video module in PS-Extended). It has caused PrPro to not function properly and with many different Video formats/CODEC's. I cannot say that it IS affecting PS-Extended, but, for me, it is a likely suspect.

More in a moment,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

OK, on my system, without FFDShow, G-Spot renders and plays the file just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Paul,

Just to test, I Imported that MPEG-2 DVD file into Premiere Pro, and it Rendered perfectly, and played from the Timeline perfectly.

I do not have my PS-Extended installed yet, as I am waiting for my new 64-bit laptop, so I cannot test in PS-Extended CS 6 - sorry.

Wish I had more,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Paul,

Thank you for the info, and screen-caps.

The MOV possibly did not Import due to either the contained CODEC, or not having Apple's QT Player installed on the system.

Now, knowing that AVI (at least with the CODEC in your test) works, one possible workaround would be to convert your MPEG to AVI w/ a usable CODEC, such as the MS DV-AVI w/ the DV/DVC CODEC. I have one conversion program, that I love, but it is an older version and is shareware from DeskShare. There are several freeware conversion programs available, but I have not explored any in many years. One that does get high recs. is Prism.

If you go the conversion route, you will want to convert to a CODEC that has very low compression, and is compatible with PS, and the DV-AVI will be ideal. The compression is only 5%, and for AVI files, is easy to Import and Edit.

You have also taught me something - PS (regular) handles Video. I thought that was the domain of PS-Extended only, but was wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Paul,

I certainly agree with you. Conversion is never my first choice, but with some Video and Audio material, it is the only recourse. Stil, editing natively, and especially with material that has already been heavily compressed, like MPEG-2, is the best workflow.

I still want to find out why MPEG-2 is not working for you, when I believe that it should.

A test by another, with your version, and that test file is on-going, and I will report the results.

Good luck, and thank you for your patience.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 16, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I could not open the file into Photoshop:

CouldNotOpen.jpg

Note:  I don't normally work with video, but I am able to open other videos into Photoshop, both as timelines and imported as frames.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Just for clarification, was this in PS CS 6, or PS CS 6 Extended?

Thank you for your assistance, and your report.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 16, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Photoshop CS6 Extended (it's in the title bar of the dialog pictured above ).

Any idea why the Quicktime 7.6.9 Player wouldn't open it? 

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/QTError.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Duh, now I see it, plus I also got that info from the PM. Thank you.

Paul

Well, that lets FFDShow off the hook, and also indicates that it is not a system problem. Neither PS CS 6, nor PS CS 6 Extended will handle an MPEG-2 DVD file. This, though several "flavors" of MPEG are shown as Supported File Formats for PS-Extended.

As MPEG (like AVI, MOV, etc.) are but "wrappers," and can contain different CODEC's, it appears that the MPEG-2 DVD, and also your MPEG files are just not supported by PS. MPEG, unlike AVI, has fewer internal options (AVI can contain almost anything), but there must be limitations for PS.

At this point, conversion is looking better and better. While it IS an extra step in the workflow, some conversion programs do batch conversions. That is what I like about my DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 - it does batch conversion, so I can load it up with a bunch of files, check my settings, hit OK, and get a cup of coffee. Depending on the CODEC of the Source Files, their Duration and the speed of the machine, this is usually pretty quick - maybe two cups of coffee for a big batch. DMC has been replaced by newer versions, but 2.7 did all that I need, so have not upgraded from Deskshare. The newer versions have trials, if I recall correctly, and that might be a good test. My older version cost ~ US$49, and I think that the replacement is priced accordingly. Deskshare has added a "Pro" version, but I cannot recall the differences now. DigitalMedia Converter: http://www.deskshare.com/media-converter.aspx and I see that they still have a trial, plus the cost is US$39.

As you know that AVI (some CODEC's) will work in PS CS 6, I would suggest converting to DV-AVI, using the DV/DVC CODEC and setting the Audio to 48KHz 16-bit. I would hope that those would Import, play and edit in PS just fine.

Otherwise, I am at a loss to explain why very common MPEG-2's will not work. As soon as I get the new laptop, I will install PS-Extended CS 6, and study its capabilities, plus also which CODEC's it installs.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Just tried in QT Pro 7.6.9 on the PC, and got the same error message, as you did.

I speculate that it's a CODEC issue, and QT Player cannot handle MPEG-2 DVD?

That file played perfectly in all of my other players, but some, like VLC Player and MediaPlayer HC, have their own CODEC's, so do not rely on the ones installed in the system, unless they lack the proper one. Those are not really a fair test, because of their internal CODEC's.

Welcome to the wonderful, but highly mysterious world of digital video!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Paul Marquess

Paul,

Thank you for that. Usually when my QT Pro does not have a component to play X, I get the Apple page, with those components, either free, or pay-to-play. I just got the error message, that Noel did. Wonder if I have something turned OFF in QT Pro?

Appreciated, and that explains why you could play the file, but Noel and I could not. As I seldom use QT Pro for much besides some file conversions of basically Apple formats/CODEC's, I have to plead a certain amount of ignorance with it, but your post was very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Paul Marquess

This seems to be a big clue:

Here is a quote about Photoshop MPEG2 support from this link http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/photoshop_reference.pdf

Supported file formats in Photoshop CS6

MPEG-2 if a decoder is installed (for example, with an Adobe video suite)

It reads as though PS CS 6 does NOT include and install the MPEG-2 CODEC, but will use it, if one has Premiere Pro.

Now, I wonder if PS CS 6 can use perhaps the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC, if installed. Adobe PrPro installs the Adobe MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC, so it might be worth investigation. MainConcept: http://www.mainconcept.com/products/sdks/video.html

Thank you for that information.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points