Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Please stop "Find Font" from deleting text when I select "change all."

Sep 17, 2012 6:42 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5.5 #find_font

I'm using ID CS6 on Mac OS X Lion. I am learning as I go--I used to work with PageMaker about 10 years ago, so it's not completely unfamiliar, but I know there is a lot I don't know yet.

On the project I've been working on, when I select "find Font" -> "Change all", sometimes the font changes as directed, but about 30-40% of the time I lose text instead. Sometimes it deletes just the italicized words, sometimes I lose everything in the document. I've tried deleting my ID preferences, and I've tried switching templates, but the problem keeps coming back.

From googling this problem, I see that there are other ways to switch fonts, and I hope to learn them, but the "Find Font" feature is supposed to work, and I really wish I knew how to make it work consistently without being afraid of losing text.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Ozzie736

I've moved your thread from feature requests to the main discussion forum so it can get some better attention.

What do you mean the text disappears -- holes in the text where things used to be, chunks of text that are deleted from the document?

A before and after screen shot would help a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Ozzie736

OK, I've never seen anything like that before.

Go to Edit > Edit In Story Editor... and see if the text is really gone or marked as conditional or something.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Ozzie736

You were ask by Peter to look in the story editor. Did you?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to Ozzie736

OK, this is far from normal behavior, whcih means there's somethign wrong in your installation, your prefs, or with a third party plugin.

Let's try the easy stuff, first, and trash your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

Do you have a font manager? If so, try removing the Auto-activation plugin from ID. Do you have any other third-party plugins?

If that doesn't fix it, create a new user and try that for a while. There might be more corruption in your original user than a simple prefs change will fix and that would be an easy way to find out. If it behaves badly in a new user, it's time to uninstall, run the clean tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) reboot and reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

> "I tried opening the Story Editor, and all of the text that had been in italics was simply gone--it read as if I had gone through and deleted all of that text."

seems like it to me...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yikes…maybe I need three cups of coffee instead of two. <g

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

It's going around this morning. I've got miss-the-obviousitis too.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Ozzie736

Ozzie736 wrote:

I have trashed the preferences already, to no avail.

When people say that I always have to ask "how"? I'm not trying to be insulting when I ask, but it's very important that you do it correctly. ID isn't like most other programs when it comes to replacing the prefs, which is why we send you to that link so you can see a couple of methods that work.

If that alone is not enough, there's a list of addtional things to delete for Mac users at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup

Also, if the problem is restricte to one or two files, it may actually be file corruption, not the program or your prefs. You can try cleaning the files: Remove minor corruption by exporting , but I've not had a lot of luck doing it with .idml. I'm finding exporting the text in the fiel to InDesign Tagged Text, then palcing that into a new file is generally effective, though, in those cases where the problem is text related and isolated.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to Ozzie736

I use CS5 and I've had the problem to with my Windows 7 computer. I haven't figured out how to fix it, but I just don't bother trying to fix the font anymore and just highlight all the text and change it manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to Ozzie736

Since you've found this doesn't happen every time, is it possible that sometimes you have a "space" character in the "change" box and other times you don't? It would then appear at first glance as though your text is disappearing. Next time you find this has happened, try turning on the hidden characters. (Type Menu -> Show Hidden Characters) If you see extra spaces where your text is missing, perhaps this is the culprit. To avoid the problem, highlight the "change" box and hit delete before completing the "find/change."

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to Mead324

Find Font doesn't use Find/Change, at least not in the sense that it would be substituting characters. Totally different dialog and operation.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Oh, gosh, of course. Sorry...sent my brain down the wrong track!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Mead324

It's been going around this week, and I think it started with me....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have CS4 here and I too have had this happen to me on usually but not always old files say PM65 opened in Indesign and replace the old type one font for a newer opentype font.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to Ozzie736

Having the same problem here in CS5.5. There are 3 of us in this office and we are all experiencing it on our systems; so it's unlikely to be individual installations of CS.

It happens at the find/change dialog box stage. The text imports OK from Word (in Calibri or whatever) and can be seen in the InDesign doc. So the issue is not at the importing stage. When you open the find/change dialog to change the fonts from the ones word was using to the ones you want to use, the italics or bold italics can vanish from the imported text as you convert from the imported font to the selected desired font.

It doesn't matter if the fonts are OT or TT. It happens with 'reliable' faces such as Myriad pro as well as with more obscure ones.

I thought it might be a CS5.5 bug but I note that it's happening in CS6 too which is worrying. Its a really dangerous bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to kevermillion

kevermillion wrote:

Having the same problem here in CS5.5. There are 3 of us in this office and we are all experiencing it on our systems; so it's unlikely to be individual installations of CS.

While that may be true, it's also possible you all have the same plugin that causes this. How many of you are using a font manager, and which one?

This really soounds like a conflict, not a bug, but anything is possible. If it is a bug, it gets triggered by something uncommon.

Just another random thought, have you opened the Word file before importing, accepted all changes, then done a Save AS to rewrite the file? Word files have a tendency to be flakey.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks Peter

We thought it might be FontExplorer alright, so one of my colleagues removed his FontExplorer InDesign plugin; but it's still happening for him.

I'll try accepting the changes in the word doc, but as I say, the text imports fine from word, it's only when you use find font, select 'calibri italic' (or whatever face imported from word), select the face you want to use instead and hit 'change all' that the italics vanish.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to kevermillion

It would be great if all of you who have this problem would file bug reports. Include as much detail as you can, including the font manager info, and offer the files for testing. We might get someone from engineering or QA interested in digging deeper.

If you don't have a support plan, you can file at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Done, thanks Peter. Hope this one can be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to Ozzie736

Did the text per any chance come from a word docx document with manual text overides?

I've seen this problem pop up for a friend of mine, and I can almost replicate it on windows. But instead of deleting the text, the text is formatted with an obscure (don't remember the name) windows system font. And it's exactly the same text that is affected by deletion on the Mac.

Saving the word file in the doc format fixes the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Ida Engmark

The font might be Calibri (Theme Body) which is the default font for Excel and doesn't exist on a Mac. Make sure the font in the Word file is some usable font like Arial or Times New Roman.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry: Not Calibri. Wasn't a standard western font, but (i noticed after I dug through the document again) an Arabic font.

For some reason the InDesign tekst import on the PC recognizes the troublesome tekst as Arabic and assigns the font MS Mincho (the one I couldn't remember).

However there's no use of this font in the word document. There is however a fragmentation of the word XML data that corresponds a little too well to the text that goes missing on Mac, when the font is changed.

However not all text that follows these rules disappear. I just had my friend do some tests and is awaiting responses.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I too have experienced Find Font spasmodically stripping out text. I'm running OS 10.7.5 on an iMac and its happening in both CS 5.5 and CS 6 (having recently upgraded). My font manager is Suitcase Fusion 4. Through trial and error I have found its more likely to occur if you have the Type Tool selected before going into the Find Font dialogue box. It seems to be a lot more stable if you are on the Selection tool first. It certainly is a very dangerous problem so I hope a solution can be found.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to Leonie15

Thanks for that tip mts-lgr, I'll try that out. Just yesterday I got 3 hours into typesetting a large report only to notice the italics had vanished due to this InDesign problem. I had to start from scratch. It's infuriating, and the fact that it hasn't been fixed in CS6 is worrying.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to KevD77

Has a commom solution been found for this issue? I experience it all the time, but it's not a consistent problem. It ocurrs with some word files while not others.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points