Skip navigation
Androidblowtech
Currently Being Moderated

Help! Built in features/hints not working flash cs6. Need fix ASAP

Sep 17, 2012 9:52 PM

Tags: #flash #not_working #cs6 #broken

Loads of built in features are not working for me in Flash CS6. When I was using CS4 they did, now they aren't. I will give two examples. Say for example I am writing code in the actions window and I type "green_btn." in regards to the name of a button instance, what usually happens when I hit the "." immediately after "green_btn" a menu will pop up showing me every option I can pick, like green_btn.addEventListener() etc etc. There is usually a menu that comes up, but for me there is no menu. I have also created a button symbol, placed an instance of it on the stage, named the instance and tried it again (cs6 is supposed to recognize the "_btn" automatically and make the menu come up even if there is no button created, but I decided to create one just in case), and no menu pops up, still . Something is wrong here, it used to work for me when I had CS4 installed. Another example is if I am in the actions window again, and I type in a function like trace(); for example, you are supposed to be able to put your cursor infront of it, or highlight it and hit F1 and it will take you directly to the help page for that function. This does not happen as well. As I go on and on I seem to keep stumbling across all these built in features for convenience that are not working. And I know 100% that they are supposed to be, I am actually in a class right now for flash and I watch demo videos where it works perfectly. What is going on with mine? I have checked every possible preference and option, I have everything and I mean EVERYTHING up to date with the most current versions. I'm stuck, and I am getting really pissed off to be blunt, I need to fix this ASAP because it is going to affect my studies which are currently ongoing, I have deadlines to  meet and I am dicking around trying to fix this. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! Any suggestions and solution will be greatly appreciated on my behalf. If anyone helps me fix this I'll kiss you!!!!!!!!

Replies
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 18, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Androidblowtech

code hinting:

you need to save your as file in order for code hints to work.  in addition, the associated fla must be open in flash pro for code hints to work in your as file.

you should also click edit>preferences>actionscript and make sure code hints is ticked and re-save your associated fla.  then make sure the as in the correct directory relative to the associated fla.

help files:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/downloads.html#flashCS6

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 18, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Androidblowtech

code hinting:

next thing to do is increase  your cache size (and make sure your fla is saved to your harddrive, not a usb drive).

help files:

did you update your cs6 and resolve the help file issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 19, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to Androidblowtech

see if any of the suggestions here helps you:  http://adobe.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/1002794?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 20, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to Androidblowtech

green_btn means nothing to flash even if it is on stage and clearly defined in the properties panel as a Simple Button or Button or MovieClip.  to enable code hinting for green_btn, you must explicitly tell flash (using actionscript its data type).  you will then get code hinting for green_btn. 

for example,

var green_btn:MovieClip;  // with green_btn being an on-stage MovieClip

// now, if you type green_btn.<code completion hints for MovieClip properties and methods should appear here>

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 21, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Androidblowtech

that was only supported in cs3 and cs4, i believe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to Androidblowtech

I was able to get my coding hinting to work by unchecking the code hinting in ActionScript preferences (crl+U), which was checked by default, then quitting Flash Pro. Then relaunch Flash Pro, now I checked the code hinting in ActionScript preferences, increased the Publish Cache (last category on preferences panel list) size to 500 Mgs. Quit Flash Pro, then relaunched it. Selected the frame with my actionscript, pressed F9 to bring up the scripting window and code hinting was now working.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to Androidblowtech

OK here we go.  If you are still interested this is how I got it to work... sort of. 

Create a Flash project using actionscript 2. 

Change it to as3 in the project properties.

Type in a class name it doesn't matter what it is.

Save both.

Start working and see if this helps.

The thing is when you go to open your project after closing it you need to change it to as2 in the project properties pannel save it then change it back to as3 and give it a new class.

By the way if you don't do it this way and you..  Say create a simple shape and turn it into a movie clip then you creat a new layer and use frame 1 as your actionscript frame you will notice that if you use a "dot" to end your object statement you will see

that you can't even click on the code hints button.  If you use a comma you can use the code hints button or you can hit CTRL SPACEBAR and it will pull up the list we are all used to seeing when we simply typed in code.  Gee whilikers Adobe dropped the ball on this one.  I can't say it enough that it was just plane poor design planing on their part. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to Androidblowtech

I don't know if this has already been posted and given how frustrated I am by the level of help elesewhere on the forum from Adobe Staff, I'll just say this: Delete your entire 'Configuration' (or at least temporarily copy its contents somewhere else) and restart Flash. Working on a Mac with CS6 installed, this fix got code hinting working again. If I had time I would drill down into each sub-folder and figure out which one was failing me; but I don't.

An Adobe Staffer on this forum recently posted that  I was supposed to delete the 'Code Model' folder and restart the app but this had no effect.

So on a Mac, at least give my solution a try if you are as frustrated as I was.

1. Find 'Configuration' folder (Library > Application Support > Flash CS6 > en_US > Configuration) and delete it or move it temporarily.
    2. Launch Flash and give it a whirl.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Androidblowtech

Yeah did that too.  I appreciate the help and if I had a Mac life would be sooo much easier but the "code Model" folder on the PC, when deleted, does nothing to fix this issue. 

Thanks though.  By the way if anyone from Adobe reads this,  I come across more and more users that are going back to cs4 pro because of this issue.  Ask marketing if you have their permission to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to mcorrin

Sadly this didn't work for me...like the fourth "fix" I've tried without success!  I have to agree with the sentiments of many others before me - this USED TO WORK.  With a Creative Cloud subscription I don't have the luxury option of rolling back to developing in CS4.  I'm stuck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points