Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Set 'Output Name' to chosen/queued clip rather than Composition

Nov 30, 2012 8:16 AM

I'm adding clips from AE compositions into Media Encoder but each clip I choose shows the session/project name in the Output Name queue rather than the individual clip.

Is there a way for it to automatically name it as the actual clip?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to mlfix

When you drag a piece of footage onto the Make Comp icon in the AE project window, the resulting comp takes on the name of the clip, so the file name of the rendered AE comp will also have the name of the clip.

Is that how you did it?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to mlfix

Media encoder is improved. More presets. The defaults are now multi-pass rendering most presets and it's just one reason to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to mlfix

Do you know if the new AE6 will open files from AE5?

Yes, that's the whole point of selling upgrades, is it not?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to mlfix

1440x1080 is an HDV resolution for 1080 video.  The pictures are 16x9, but the pixels are wider than 1920x1080.  You should probably find out from the client the full deliver spects for this file before you start guessing at things and wasting your time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to mlfix

Web and mobile devices do not do rectangular pixels. The mobile app must be specifically that size and you must, and I mean must, find out from the developer exactly what format the files are to be delivered in. The workflow you are suggesting is NOT standard and is most likely wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to mlfix

Did anyone ever figure out how to name the output in AME to the name of the comp instead of the name of the project file? Our company has started to use AME to render out AE comps with audio because of the stereo-to-mono bug in AE and it very annoying that it does not automatically name the outputs to the comp name. Otherwise AME is great, renders much faster than in AE itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to cspecter
    1. Highlight the clip in question in the AE project window.  Hit the return key. Copy the file name.
    2. Highlight the comp in question in the AE project window.  Hit the return key, and paste in the clip file name.
    3. Save the project.
    4. Render in AME.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

The problem is with AME and not with AE. The comps all have individual names. So in my AE project, let's call it "Cool_TV_Project.aep", I have several comps I wish to render. Let's call these comps: Show_Main_Title, Show_Credits, and Lower_Third.

In AME I go to File->Add After Effects Composition..., then I find the After Effect project that I want to render (Cool_TV_Project.aep), then I pick the three comps I wish to render. These comps are then added into the queue in AME. Here is where the problem is.

The "Output File" name for each comp is listed as the project name plus an _number even though it lists the correct comp name in the "Source Name" column. So the queue looks something like this:

Source Name                                                  Format          Preset               Output File

/Cool_TV_Project.aep/Show_Main_Title          Quicktime      Prores               /Cool_TV_Project_1

/Cool_TV_Project.aep/Show_Credits                Quicktime      Prores               /Cool_TV_Project_2

/Cool_TV_Project.aep/Lower_Third                 Quicktime      Prores               /Cool_TV_Project_3

I want the Output File name to be what the COMP is named, not the PROJECT. As it stands I have to manually select each output and retype the comp name. This is ok when there is only a few comps in a project, but maddening when there are many.

What I'd like to do is force AME to name the output the same as the comp name in the project, instead of how it defaults to naming each output to the project name + _1. So far I have not seen any option to do this. My hope is there is some tricksy way to make it do this as I like rendering in AME.

FYI I am using AME from CS 5.5.

Ideas?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points