• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I open the installation programs downloaded from Adobe?

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to open "install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe" or "Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe", nothing happened at all. No matter how many times I clicked.

What's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And exactly on what system?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vista

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Flash Player, try downloading the offline installer from http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.ht...

For Shockwave Player, try if the MSI installer from http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/shwv_distribution3.html works better.

[topic moved to Flash Player forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked.

It would be better if the Flash Player installer produced some kind of error message, because it fails silently behind my university proxy, producing no visible output whatsoever. Because of this, I thought the installer was corrupted or was being interfered with by another running program, and rebooted the PC and ran the installer using ProcMon to investigate. A bit frustrating.

Why doesn't it work behind a proxy though? It should either pay attention to the system-wide proxy settings, or at least provide its own configuration dialogue for a SOCKS/HTTP proxy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why doesn't it work behind a proxy though? It should either pay attention to the system-wide proxy settings, or at least provide its own configuration dialogue for a SOCKS/HTTP proxy."

As far as I know, I'm not using a proxy, but I couldn't get install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih.exe to run without first right clicking, going into Properties, and then unblocking. I don't recall having this issue with prior Flash installers. For curiosity's sake, try downloading that installer and see if unblocking works. I wonder how many others are having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mdanehy

Wow, good call! I redownloaded the online installer, verified that it still produced no output, then went to properties and sure enough, there was an "Unblock" button. I've never seen this behaviour before - all other downloaded programs produce an "Open File - Security Warning" dialogue box which notifies me about the frankly bizarre behaviour of Windows and lets me choose to run it or cancel.

Why does it work differently with the online installer?

A strange thing - when I unblocked and ran the installer, then cancelled it, it deleted itself from my downloads folder. Very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Flash installer is self-deleting, so that's normal behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines