Skip navigation
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to vaughaag2004

My problem has returned somehow and now getting the crash at startup suddenly. Changing permissions on the folders didn't help at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

Somehow you have re-contaminated your files.  Perhaps purging cache (especially in any folder with a .zip file)  might return things to normal?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Curt Y

My issue wasn't with zip files. I actually have not had a crash with those. The Bridge folder in the App Support folder is still suspect though - if I remove it, Bridge will start up fine with no issues. And then will crash if I change the icon size (in Computer) too big. Still suspecting a permissions or ML Icon issue...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

Icon size?  That reminds me of a post about 4 days ago in the Photoshop forum.  Chris Cox was discussing that  Apple told Adobe the pixel size of icons, but their released new OS does not conform to what they had told them.  But believe this had to do with web pages, so may not be same issue.  Wish I could remember more of the specific conversation but it was over my head and so did not absorb much.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 2:05 AM   in reply to Seems_like_Trav

vaughaag2004's fix worked for a couple of days, but the crash is now back with a vengeance. I launch Bridge, it crashes. I have rebooted my iMac 3 times now, hoping that it may at least allow me to start Bridge and clear the cache, but it just wouldn't let me do even this. I have switched back to Stuffit as default zip file expander, and while it seemed at first that Bridge was still very unstable, it has been holding up for a little while now.

To be honest, I am getting a bit tired of Mountain Lion's idiosyncrasies and am starting to think I might look into rolling back to Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to milktm

milktm wrote:

I have rebooted my iMac 3 times now, hoping that it may at least allow me to start Bridge and clear the cache, but it just wouldn't let me do even this.

If you hold down the Option key and start Bridge you get the reset preferences window.  One of the options is to purge the cache.  But this purges only the central cache.  If you have "export cache to folders" checked that extra cache will not be purged.  You will have to purge that after Bridge starts and go to Tools/Cache/purge cache for xxx folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 9:41 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I don't know what you all are doin, but i just got OS X ML and it works great.  EVEN BRIDGE CS 5.1 AND PS, AI, and LR CS 6.  i didn't do the clean download,  I didn't mess with the permissions,  none of that and i love it.  Have you all been geting it from the app stor or some were else.  i know you can get Lion from other places but i dont know if you could get ML the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 6:00 AM   in reply to Curt Y

@Curl Y, thanks for your help. I eventually managed to open Bridge and clear the cache for one of the main folders I needed, but only after I changed the default zip file handler to Stuffit.

@adoby10 Considering the number of issues raised on forums everywhere, including Apple's, about Mountain Lion (issues with external drives, conflicts with Adobe products - a showstopper considering how much Macs are used in design, and many more...), it seems that you've been lucky... so far. Bridge worked fine for about 2 weeks on Mountain Lion for me (bought from the App store, where else??? Considering how much it costs, it's not worth the risk of getting it from anywhere else, right?), but one day, it just wasn't working anymore, and I hadn't made any change to any of the default set up of either ML, Bridge or anything else. If it works, enjoy it, I just hope everything keeps working for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to milktm

I’ve just got back from a biz trip and check both my iMac and MBP and both are still working fine.?

I did finally hear back from Apple today as well, asking me to bring the iMac into the store for them to look over it, if I wished..

Rgds,

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to g4zilla

OK, let me throw this out there: Since "the fix" I've had no issues. However, I had one jump up and smack me in the face today.

Very simply:

Open up Apple's TextEdit app, create a new document.

Type a few words.

Save it (using the default rtf format) into a convenient folder.

Now fire up Bridge, and navigate to that folder.

Bridge go boom. At least for me. Can anyone else confirm this?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to g4zilla

Absolutely not here.

Give some details, please.  Are you on Mountain Poop by any chance?

Here are mine:

Bridge 5.0.0.9 ("CS6"), TextEdit 1.6, Snow Leopard 10.6.8, MacBook, 4 GB of RAM.  This system is dedicated to Ps 13, Bridge and TextEdit.

Also, it does not happen in any earlier version of Bridge running on my regular working machine:  2.5 GHz Power Mac (PPC) G5-Quad; 16GB RAM; mutant, flashed 550MHz nVidia GeForce 7800GTX 1,700MHz 512MB VRAM; ATTO ExpressPCI UL5D LP SCSI card; Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard 10.5.8 boot drives; intrusive Spotblight, Dashboard and Time Machine permanently disabled; dual 22" CRT monitors; USB wireless 'n' available but connected to the Internet via wired Ethernet; FW flatbed scanner; 2 SCSI scanners (one tabloid-size transparency scanner and a film scanner); various internal & external HDs; FW Epson 2200 and Ethernet Samsung ML-2850ND printers; 2 X Back-UPS RS 1500 XS units.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to g4zilla

Since your issue is a different one, you should start a new thread, rather than hijack this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to Molekula

Reposting myself here:

Have you made your user Library-folder visible in Finder?

I did that in the Terminal and shortly after that the crashes started for me.

I just updated to 10.8.2 and that made the user Library-folder invisible again.

At the same time Bridge started behaving properly.

Not saying that's anything other than a coincidence.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points