Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insufficient data for image

Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an update to version 10.1.4.  My previous version was 10.1.23.  After the upgrade , I started to receive an error message insufficient data for image.  This is the first time this error appeared so it has to be related to the new version.   I unistalled this version and installed version 9, the problem went away.  Is anyone else having this issue or is there a fix for this issue? 

Thanks...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Hi all

Acrobat engineering would like to inform users facing this issue that the latest Reader XI release (available for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader) fixes this problem. Users are requested to download the latest version at the earliest to avoid encountering this error going forward. As mentioned earlier, the team is working actively towards fixing the problem in earlier versions (10.x and 9.x) as well and expects to deliver a solution by Q1 2013.

For more information, please see ou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share any such PDF with me, to enable me to have a look at it from our end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I attached one with the issue.

Alan Adams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just installed the update for Adobe Acrobat 10.1.4 and no matter which PDF file I open, the same error message comes up.  I hit the "O.K." button and the message goes away.  Nothing seems to be any different while reading the file -- I wonder if it's an error that just automatically comes up but has no bearing on the file being read?

Small Town Gal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me.  I changed the zoom setting to 100% and file displayed fine.  Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I speculate this is the same problem as here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4632511#4632511

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the users local profile seems to fix this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A month ago Nikhil Gupta of Adobe promised me to fix this issue. The same promise is made on the Adobe web page at http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2012/08/21/acrobat-insufficient-data-for-an-image-error-after-updati... However, Adobe has yet to announce a date for the release of Adobe Reader 10.1.5. Well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular issue has been logged for tracking, while we design, build and test a proper solution.  But, since each release must balance the needs of all of our customers, especially when security fixes are involved, an issue can be delayed from one update to the next. Therefore, we cannot provide an exact timeline until the fix has been officially submitted into our production build process, which unfortunately, is not the case at this time. If this issue is blocking your workflow, please try the workaround provided in the blog mentioned, while we continue to work on a fix.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Release 10.1.4. This is a lethal problem. After running the recognize text tool the PDF is nothing but blank pages and, if saved, a valuable PDF is lost.  The "fit to page" work-around does not work.  This is not just an inconvenience.  It is bad enough that I believe 10.1.4 should be with drawn immediately.  I will certainly roll back to the previous release immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Reader 9. Frustrating there is no solution. I tried reducing the display, saving the pdf as optimized, but nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example you can try yourself.

If you cannot fix it please recommend a work-around.

Somehow, destroying valuable documents seems to me to be equally as important as fixing the latest security hole.

At

http://archive.org/details/pioneersongstert00thom

select PDF and save it

Open the downloaded PDF: pioneersongster00thorn.pdf

edit > preferences > page display

Zoom: Fit Page

OK

tools > recognize text > AA In This File

Recognize Text:

Pages: All pages

Settings: Primary OCR Language: English (US); PDF Output Style: Searchable Image; Downsample To:600 dpi

OK

Upon completion get "Insufficient data for an image"

OK

Now, review PDF page by page: every page except the front and back cover is blank.

If you don't know that the text has been trashed, the next reasonable thing to do is

tools > Reduce the time for searching by adding a search index

Embed Index...

For

The PDF document needs to be savede before an index can be embedded. Do you want to save and continue?

Yes

the index is embedded but the PDF is useless.

In this example only some time has been waisted since the original PDF can be downloaded again.

I was not so fortunate with PDF's downloaded in the past but no longer available, and for which I did not discover the disaster until long after the text had been "recognized".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently my example of a PDF destroyed by this problem in Acrobat X was either not clear or not convincing.

Had it been clear or convincing I would have expected, as a registered Acrobat X user, to have had an independent warning about ths lethal problem from Adobe.

You have my example of a PDF destroyed by this bug. I start with that PDF to illustrate how that problem effects my use of Acrobat X.

I am a researcher. Acrobat X advanced search is one of my most important tools.

The PDF I used to illustrate the problem, the International Archive digitization of Harold W Thompson's _A Pioneer Songster_, came to my attention because of some reference to a song it includes. Having used that bit of information I saw that the PDF has many other interesting songs and is likely to have information I will need for future projects. I would normally use the Acrobat X tools I cited in my example to make the PDF searchable.

I run many searches every day and each uses the Acrobat X advanced search to look through the hundreds of PDFs in my library. I often don't look at a PDF after I convert it unless it satisfies a search.

As I showed in my example, the PDF of Thompson's book will never satisfy a search because its content was completely destroyed by the conversion process. Worse, I will not know that the PDF is destoyed unless I am surprised by it's failure to satisfy a particular search. Then I will look at the PDF itself and see that it is entirely blank. That may be a long time after the conversion.

This bug has already been in the field for more than a month and, since my backups go back only a month, I have already lost PDF's that I cannot retrieve from my backups. If I had not discovered this problem I would continue to destroy my library in ignorance, and not be able to restore the lost PDF's from backup. Much worse, valuable PDF's are not always available from their original source.

To sum up, not only are searches no longer getting hits from expected sources, but those sources - which may not be replaceable - are quietly being destroyed.

As I said above, I would have expected, as a registered Acrobat X user, to have been warned by Adobe of the dangers of this lethal bug. You have my example, in which the page display "fit page" workaround is ineffective. If there is a workaround that works for my example please post it here and include it in the notification to Acrobat X users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A terrible problem indeed but I don't understand why you consider PDFs destroyed. It's a display problem - isn't it? PDFs will display again undamaged if you go back - won't they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Acrobat Reader then no damage is done to the PDF.

If you are using Acrobat X uou often use it to build PDF's or modify them, in my case by making them searchable. The procedure is destructive in that you usually replace the original unsearchable text wiith the new searchable text.

The act of making a PDF searchable generates the error message but also, stealthily, makes the target PDF blank.

The problem is stealthy because, usually, the cover of the PDF looks fine; only the internal pages are blank.

In order to embed an index you have to save the PDF and what you are saving is the PDF of a nice looking cover and blank pages inside.

I agree that for Reader users the problem is an annoyance, but for Acrobat X users that use the Acrobat tools to make the PDF searchable, the bug is exactly the disaster I have described.  The PDF cannot be restored by closing it and opening it again.  There is nothing worthwhile left to open.

The problem is that apparently the tools use the buggy Reader code to do the conversion to searchable text, and in doing that they convert the displayed text whcih is blank, and so, destroy the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr. Gupta.

Are you and your team still " continue to work on a fix"?

Tree weeks from your post, NINE (9) weeks from discovering.

Not enough to create patch or hotfix with no touching security?

Shame on you, guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor Nikhil Gupta is not to blame. He has his boss. The responsible person is Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantanu_Narayen). I have forwarded many of the messages on this forum to Mr. Narayen. He has not made a single response.  If anyone needs to take responsibility for this egregious failure, it is Mr. Narayen. But he does not care. Adobe makes much more money from Photoshop than from Adobe Reader. Take heart, however. Windows 8 has its own built-in PDF viewer (see http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-feature-focus-windows-reader-142710). You will no longer need Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What still shocks me is that I, as a registered Adobe Pro X user have not been notified by Adobe of this lethal problem that destroys PDFs and a detailed workaround (which does work; see my last, above).

A fix may have to be scheduled, implemented, and tested, but notification to users takes nothing more than administrative asgreement to issue the message.

Adobe has no regard for its paying Adoobe Pro users.  I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Ben, ignoring nonpaying Adobe Reader users is bad enough; ignoring paying Adobe Acrobat Pro users like yourself is unforgivable.

You can write a personal note to CEO Shantanu Narayen (snarayen@adobe.com) to thank him for his "excellent" customer service, but he is probably thinking of his Photoshop customers, who pay much more than you do. I guess you will have to write off the money you paid for Adobe Acrobat Pro and mourn your losses.

Take heart, however. There are several free PDF viewers that, unlike Adobe Reader, are excellent and bug-free (see http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-non-adobe-pdf-reader.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide). There are also  several free PDF tools that can replace your Adobe software (see http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-pdf-tools.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Acrobat engineering would like to inform users facing this issue that the latest Reader XI release (available for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader) fixes this problem. Users are requested to download the latest version at the earliest to avoid encountering this error going forward. As mentioned earlier, the team is working actively towards fixing the problem in earlier versions (10.x and 9.x) as well and expects to deliver a solution by Q1 2013.

For more information, please see our KB document for this issue: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/insufficient-data-image.html

Message was edited by: David Kastendick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this fix also in Acrobat Pro XI currently available for download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

benschwartz55 wrote:

Is this fix also in Acrobat Pro XI currently available for download?

That's what Nikhil wrote in his post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben, Adobe Reader  is a PDF viewer. Adobe Acrobat Pro is a PDF editor. You will need to buy the new version: see http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro.html Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

On the contrary.

Adobe has never acknowledged that the shared code between Reader and Pro has resulted in a Pro bug.

Nikhil specifically referred to "the latest Reader XI release."  

I **assume** that the fix incorporated in Reader XI has been incorporated as well into Pro XI.  Before I pay for Pro XI I want to be assured that the version of Pro XI currently being offered for sale includes code that Adobe intends as a fix for this problem (this very wordy statement is an acknowledgement that no one can ever guarantee that a problem is fixed; I want to know that Adobe thinks it has fixed the problem)..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I misread.

Since I have never been able to reproduce the problem in Reader or Acrobat, I cannot tell whether the problem is fixed in Acrobat.  Maybe Nikhil can clarify that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines