Some suggestions: try placing a frame around all elements of the master record. The frame should have no fill, no stroke, and made to the precise dimension that is one record. Make sure there is no extraneous art on page or pasteboard. Place all elements on a master page.
Some more suggestions: if you are using a CSV file for the merge, try a TXT file. If you are using a TXT file for the merge, try a CSV file. If your data file is from Excel, examine the export (csv or txt) file in a text editor and look for anything that might have went awry, illegal characters, etc.
So it works when I export it to PDF, but I would really like to be able to make it into a merged document so I could edit the photo locations inside the frame. I'm assuming that was making it into a merged document does. I tried both a txt and a csv file. I even tried it on another computer. I tried changing the $ values to just a number and then just a general column in excel as well. I'm not sure what the deal is. Why would it make a PDF correctly but not merge the document into an editable file?
Did you try the new user?
Behavior there will tell us if the problem is user related, and possibly repairable by trashing the prefs (Replace Your Preferences) or if it a file or program problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1so4l15k1lvb88/LotPrices.csv Thanks in advance. This would really make my life better.
The data file is clean except for one thing that I noticed. I don't know if this will have a bearing but the Whsl Price and MSRP headers each begin with a space. Sometimes ID datamerges can be finicky.
Still not working, I even removed the space from between WHsl and Price in the header. Could the images being large effect it? They are PSDs between 5-25 MB each.
I've been out most of the day, but I don't seem to have any problem merging here when the placeholder are on the document page, but it fails if you put them on the master page.
I haven't done any other Data Merge projects in CS6, so I won't call this a bug yet, but it sure looks like on.
Actually, the only real justification for putting the merge fields on the master are if you have other master elements you don't want duplicated for each record in a mult-record merge, and more importantly the bilityt to update an already merged file when the data set changes.
I generally do my merges with a blank master, then apply the correct master after the merge to avoid any issues with master objects, and from reports here updating an existing file that has merged images is a lot less than reliable -- the images reportedly disappear. Given the ease of saving the merge temaplte and just rerunning the merge if the data changes, I don't see any compelling reason to use merge fields on the master page in most cases.
Europe, Middle East and Africa