Skip navigation
Gazmum81
Currently Being Moderated

Video camera - ease of use with PE9?

Sep 18, 2012 7:32 PM

I am wanting to buy a new video camera and move on from the mini DV tape format.  There are a number of new vidcams out there now, and I want to be sure I get one that will work well with PE9.  I do not have the capability to play blu-ray disks, nor does my computer have the grunt to handle Hi-Definition material.  So I'm guessing I need to look for a vidcam that is standard definition. Can anyone advise me as to what to look for in a video camera that would make a good match for PE9?  I don't do a lot of videotaping - mainly important family occasions - so don't need a fancy video camera.  However, I don't want to buy one and then come up against probs when importing stuff into PE9. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to Gazmum81

MiniDV is far and away the most efficient standard definition for editing. In fact, virtually every consumer-based editing system is built for it!

Unfortunately, you may have trouble finding a new one. I'm not sure if manufacturers are even still making them! (I picked my last one up used on eBay for $100.) If you do find one, I personally recommend you go with Sony brand.

The next step up is HDV, a hi-def tape-based format, which also works very well with programs like Premiere Elements. But it too is being phased out by manufacturers. Canon and Sony both make excellent HDV units.

The current consumer standard is AVCHD, for better or worse. It's an excellent hi-def format that records to a hard drive or storage card on the camcorder. Unfortunately, the video is highly compressed and you usually need at least a quad core or i7 processor to edit it.

But those are the options I recommend you work with. There are others -- like low-end hi-def and standard def camcorders that sell for $300 and less. But they usually aren't the best options if you're going to be doing any kind of "serious" videoing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Gazmum81

If you start with HD (High Definition) material, and edit in HD, you have two choices:

1. Author to BD (Blu-ray Disc) in HD for playback on a computer w/ a BD multi-drive, or a BD player, hooked to your TV
    2. Down-rez from HD to SD (Standard Definition), and then author to DVD-Video

Of course you have Export/Share options for other forms of output, but those are the two common disc formats.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

As Bill says, you can output hi-def BluRays, standard def DVDs or any other format from your hi-def video projects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points