Did I miss something when R22 came out? Normally, ensuring identical MSO names and identical object state names within that MSO between landscape and portrait layouts meant that readers could rotate their iPads and keep the same object state on-screen. For some reason, this doesn't work any more: as soon as you rotate the iPad, the MSO resets back to its initial state. This is happening to all my MSOs in the R22 folio I'm about to release at the weekend.
Is there anything I should be doing to make it work how it used to? This feature was a bit of a selling point for DPS as no-one else could do it.
Is the Object State name identical in both layouts? If it is, try copying and pasting one of the MSOs into the new layout and then rename the pasted MSO. Then delete both the number and the space in the pasted MSO (example: "slugs 2" -> "slugs"). Then it should work.
Yes, the names are identical. I'm afraid I don't understand your instructions, Bob. You want me to paste an MSO from one layout to another, rename it, then rename it again?
I have tried simply copying and pasting an MSO from one layout to another, and ensuring they have the same name (by deleting the space+'2' in the pasted copy). It does not work: MSOs reset themselves when you rotate the iPad.
Is this perhaps a limitation of PDF or Release 22 in general? It affects every MSO in the folio, and there are dozens of them.
I'm not sure what's causing this problem. The DPS Tips app includes dozens of MSOs in v22 format, and they all preserve their state on rotation. Can you email me a sample file? firstname.lastname@example.org
Hold fire on that for the moment, Bob. In tests, I find that if I upload an article on its own or with just a few other articles, the MSO rotation trick works, but it doesn't work when that same article is uploaded to a folio containing LOTS of articles.
It is most frustrating. I've suffered endless problems with this folio, with interactivity and autoplay slideshows displaying correctly when previewed locally the Desktop or via cable on my iPad, but then not working when downloaded from the cloud server. One article even seems to generate a page thumbnail not of the page but of an object state, and for that matter an object state that I deleted from the layout more than a week ago. I have recreated the slideshows and, in several cases, recreated entire layouts from scratch again and again, but no joy. I have tried saving as IDML to clean things up. I have deleted folios, created new ones and uploaded everything all over again.
These actions helped fix some issues but not others. Faced with a 3am deadline, I had to strip out certain things (such as autoplay slideshows that weren't playing) and simply give up on getting MSOs to remember their states when rotating the iPad. Ah well.
OK, I've worked out what's causing the problem.
In a dual-orientation folio, it is not mandatory to have the same number of pages in both orientations of each article. This allowed us to convert print ad spreads into articles that comprise a single page in landscape orientation but two pages in portrait orientation. Great.
Unfortunately, this sets the following article pages off-kilter. The visual animation of the these subsequent pages switching between landscape and portrait as you rotate the iPad is clearly wrong: the page doesn't give the standard illusion of rotating but seems to spring out from the corner of the screen.
As soon as I changed the early ad spreads into single-page articles (i.e. strictly single pages in both orientations), all the subsequent articles in the folio began behaving correctly, including MSO object states being remembered when the iPad is rotated.
Europe, Middle East and Africa