Skip navigation
bevansciw
Currently Being Moderated

Adding EXIF standards back into a JPG file using Photoshop

Sep 20, 2012 2:58 PM

Tags: #photoshop #jpg #exif #standards #dcf

Can anyone tell me how this is done?

I'm trying to get photos (JPG files) I've edited in Photoshop and placed on an SD card to display on a Panasonic plasma television (TC-P42X1). The televison will only recognize JPG files with DCF or EXIF standards in tact. I'm assuming photos taken with a digital camera (unedited) already build in these stanards, as those photos view just fine. I'm also assuming that Photoshop strips the JPG file of these standards since the error I'm getting is "Cannot Read" with edited images.

Of course Panasonic says, "It's an Adobe issue." Adobe would probably tell me "It's a Panasonic issue." Neither of those answers help solve my problem.

Here is what I've tried so far, with little to no luck. Using Photoshop, I've opened an image, gone to File/File Info (given the photo a description), selected "OK" and saved the image as a JPG file (did not use the "Save for Web" path). This has gotten me a step closer. Now I can see a thumbnail image on the television when in menu view, but it still says, "Cannon Read" when trying to view the images with the slide show option. Does anyone know the trick is using Photoshop to correct this issue? I'm open to other options as well.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help solve this problem!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to bevansciw

Not sure what the problem might be. DCF is a file naming standard for digital cameras, so perhaps the TV expects file names that follow that format (e.g. a top level directory named DCIM, with a subdirectory consisting of a three digit number followed by five letters, with file names following a similar number/letter scheme; Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of this). So if you're changing the directory and/or file names and structure, the TV probably won't be happy.

Photoshop does preserve EXIF data, but nothing in that should affect the ability to display the image itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to bevansciw

Photoshop CS5 and CS6 follow the EXIF standard for JPEG files, and preserves EXIF metadata.

But many devices only display JPEGs that are very, very similar to those created by the device (not implementing the full standard).

This is most likely an issue with Panasonic's implementation of JPEG.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to bevansciw

Try this possible workaround:

1.— Take your original file (before any edits) and duplicate it.

2.— Work on the duplicate (exact clone) only.  Do all your Photoshop edits to your heart's content.  (Optional step: save the file, but don't close it so you don't compress the JPEG and deteriorate its quality.)  Do a select all (Command+A on the Mac, Control+A on Windows) to select the entire pixel content of the duplicate, and COPY that.  Now you have your edited image on your clipboard.

3.— Open the original file, and do a select all on it, but don't copy that!  Instead, DELETE all the pixel content of the original.  Now you have a blank image with only the metadata of the original.

4.— Paste the contents of your clipboard (the pixels of the edited clone) into the blank original.  Save.

With any luck, you'll have the edited pixels with the metadata of the original.

It should work, but there are no guarantees.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points