• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to install PS CS2 on Windows 7 64 bit???

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not advise me to buy or upgrade to CS4, 5, or 6 PLEASE!!!

I've read that there's a definite way to install CS2 (or any 32 bit version of PS) on Windows 7 64 bit successfully with some folder code "C:\progra~2\adobe" or... C:\program~2\adobe...or the same code but with the back slashes in the opposite direction like /.

I'm totally confused: why does the first code say "progra" and leave off the "m" and other say to spell out "program" entirely?

WHICH is correct "progra" or "program" and which way should the slashes go?

I'm very untechnical and don't understand how to do this at all so can someone please explain the install procedure in specific clear steps from inserting the CD to the end?

I saw a member named Marian Driscoll post about this install but don't understand how to do it each step of the way.

I need a new PC and was thinking I would be forced to get a used Windows XP machine to use CS2 but would prefer to get Windows 7 64 bit but won't unless I can install PS CS2 on it successfully.

Can someone please help with detailed install instruction using this floder code?

Thanks so much, I'm desperate!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

The reason for using progra~2 on a 64 bit system while installing a 32 bit app is the 8 character limitation imposed by Windows. progra~2 totals up to 8 characters, program~2 is 9.

You have 2 options:

1. When installing, change your path to C:\progra~2\..... and install. It should work.

2. Copy the installer to your local drive. Right click Setup.exe, Properties > Compatibility tab > Run this in compatibility mode. Choose XP SP2. Click OK. Run Setup.exe

Either one should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for using progra~2 on a 64 bit system while installing a 32 bit app is the 8 character limitation imposed by Windows. progra~2 totals up to 8 characters, program~2 is 9.

You have 2 options:

1. When installing, change your path to C:\progra~2\..... and install. It should work.

2. Copy the installer to your local drive. Right click Setup.exe, Properties > Compatibility tab > Run this in compatibility mode. Choose XP SP2. Click OK. Run Setup.exe

Either one should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NO idea how to do this as you direct.

What do you mean "change path" to?

Can someone please explain this IN DETAIL on what I do after I put the Photoshop disk in to install?

At what stage do I change this "path" and how do I change it? Where is this "path" and at what point in the installion does it show up?

I'm sorry but the above is totally confusing to a non-techie like me!

I need specific steps explained because i don't even know what a "path" is!

Thanks again to annyone who can explain the steps in clear English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you install the software, one of the steps you will be asked where to install Photoshop. Instead of just clicking OK there, you should 'Change' that location as I had mentioned earlier.

Or, have you tried Option 2 that I had posted in my earlier response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Sudarshan : Please stop answering because you are not explaining it step by step. So PLEASE cease adding to my confusion. And YES, I am brain dead when it comes to anything technical so let someone else explain who can do so step by step starting from the beginning to end of install. I need to know ALL OF THE STEPS in succession. Thanks for your attempt but you are not helping.

Can someone else please help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck, mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2012 Dec 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sudarshan's #2 worked fine for me and Win7 sees CS2 as XP software.   The program installed without a hiccough and works even better than before.

How is that possible you ask?  Because the Render filter that allowed changes in lighting would not display any brushes in its prior incarnation, even after a CD repair.  Now the brushes are visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guys, I appreciate the irritation, but as the Original Poster asked for clear, detailed and plain English explanations for every step from inserting the install disc and on from there I can see why they're lost with such accurate but efficient explanations.

OP, in case you are still looking for support:

1. Insert your CS2 CD, open Windows Explorer, navigate to Computer and then to the drive for your CDs (usually labelled D: or similar), right click it, and choose to Open or Explore.
2. Create a temporary folder on your desktop. Call it something like TempCS2.

3. Find the installing program, usually called setup.exe, and copy that to your temporary folder. If you want to be sure, copy all the contents of the CD to that temporary folder.
4. Right click on setup.exe in your temporary folder.

5. Select "Properties".

6. Click on the tab that says 'Compatibility' in the box that pops up.

7. Click 'Run in Compatibility Mode' and a menu will drop down - from that menu, choose the option 'XP SP2' (Windows XP Service Pack 2). Your Windows 7 computer has now been told to recognise the program as one made for Windows XP (which it is). Also tick the 'Run as Administrator' checkbox at the bottom.
8. Click OK on each box so that all these settings are saved.

9. Now, run (double click) setup.exe FROM YOUR TEMPORARY FOLDER, ie, the one we've made all the changes to, and it should hopefully work properly and start the installation wizard.

10. When you get to the point in your installation wizard's window where it asks you to choose where to install your product, THAT is your INSTALLATION PATH. You need to change it from C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe to C:\Progra~2\Adobe and it will install in the Program Files (x86) location. That's it!

If you are interested, the reason for this is that CS2 is very old software and does not recognise paths (locations) with certain characters in the name like the ( ) brackets in Program Files (x86). We therefore have to use an alternate name for the location, that is, an alternate path. Progra~2 is an 8-character abbreviation for Program Files (x86): the ~ signifies the remainder of the folder name to the computer, and the 2 is simply a record of where the folder falls in the order of all those folders in C:\ which start with 'Progra'. Since you're using Windows 7 64 bit, you have another folder just called Program Files that holds all your 64 bit capable programs: the folder you need is Program Files (x86), the second one down, hence 2. This way, the installer has a path name that it can recognise, and the program is installed in the correct location, rather than in a location which will try to open it with 64 bit architecture instead of the 32 bit architecture that it can handle. Using Compatibility to get Windows to treat it as an XP program allows some aspects of the CS2 suite to work more smoothly and also helps with installation.

If the above doesn't help then I'm sorry but I can do no more for you - I don't have the CD myself to test with!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines