Skip navigation
alfateam1976
Currently Being Moderated

Any chance for a begginer to create a professional website ?

Sep 20, 2012 1:31 PM

Any chance for a begginer to create a professional website ?

I have no experience at all - zero- on web design - web creating. Registering Adobe Dreameaver will enable me to create myself a professional website ? I need a website similar to bwin.com  in design but it is not a betting site . Latest web site design/ support chat/ forum section/ members acces / paypal/ card/payments.

I wonder how much time it takes to learn it.. instead of paying 1000euro - the price a webdesigner asked for the job..

thank you

Mario

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to alfateam1976

Will probably take you a couple of years to learn what you need (wild guess).

The quote you got is very, very cheap if they're really offering you a website to compare with bwin.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 2:02 PM   in reply to alfateam1976

1000 Euros is a bargain!!

When you need a plumber or electrician you hire an experienced professional, not some amateur whose never done this before, right?.  Well, the same goes for web development.

Unless you can devote 30-40 hours per week for 6-12 months learning everything you need to know about HTML, CSS, JavaScript, server-side programming, databases and web security, you have zero chance of doing all this on your own.  Owning Dreamweaver doesn't make you an instant web developer any more than owning a digital camera makes you a professional photographer.  It's not the tools, it's the person using them.  The more skills you bring to the table, the more success you'll have.

That said, there are some good frameworks out there that might help you get the job done faster.  But you still need good coding skills and very good grasp of how the web works.

Are you up for that?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 20, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to alfateam1976

In my company, to recreate something similar to bwin.com in terms of design and to include the functionalities you've asked for, I'd probably be charging anywhere between 1,800 - 3,000 euros.

My recommendation - Go ahead with the 'web designer' who quoted 1,000 euros for this project!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Sudarshan Thiagarajan wrote:

My recommendation - Go ahead with the 'web designer' who quoted 1,000 euros for this project!

The real question is whether someone who quotes 1,000 euros for such a job has the skill to deliver.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to David_Powers

>The real question is whether someone who quotes 1,000

>euros for such a job has the skill to deliver.

Exactly. The OP needs to get several bids and request portfolios and urls' of similar sites they have developed. In fact, it might be helpful for us to look at some examples from the developer they already got a bid from.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 20, 2012 11:19 PM   in reply to alfateam1976

It's like this. A coffee brewmaster who is extremely good at what he does cannot pick up web designing unless he dedicates time to it. Likewise, we cannot brew a nice cup of coffee the way he does.

What's easy for others is not necessarily easy for us. We all take time to learn and specialize in our field of interest/ career.

'Dedication' is the keyword. That's what sets apart a 'just a web designer' with a 'the web designer'.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to alfateam1976

alfateam1976 wrote:

As I live in Romania where medium net income its around 265euro/month I think the price its abaut right.

On that basis, the price represents about four months' work. You could certainly learn a lot about web development in four months, but I doubt if you could learn enough to create a complex site of the same quality as bwin.com. I've taken a look at its source code. The style sheet is more than 2,000 lines of code, and there's a large number of external JavaScript files. It also has a user registration and login system, which means that it connects with a back-end database.

One of the attractions of web development is that the entry barrier is low. It's easy to get started. However, there's a long and steep learning curve if you want to get beyond the beginner stage. When I started developing websites nearly 20 years ago, the technology was simple. However, it has become increasingly complex. So much so that building a sophisticated website usually involves a team of people who specialize in different aspects of web development.

The comments that you have received aren't intended to put you off, but to introduce a realistic sense of perspective. If your intention is to become a web designer/developer, start learning about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Be prepared to put in many hours of study and practice. Everyone is a beginner at some stage, so there's nothing to be ashamed of. But buying Dreamweaver doesn't wave a magic wand and turn you into a professional without a lot of effort on your part.

However, the real question is whether you want to become a web developer or whether you've got a business idea that needs a website. If it's the latter, concentrate on developing your business, and be prepared to pay a professional to build the website for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to alfateam1976

That's a good start.  Now work on this.

BUILDING DYNAMIC SITES in DW

Get one of these testing servers for your local OS and follow the installation instructions.

Setting up a PHP environment in Dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_php.html

Building your first dynamic website – Part 1: Setting up your site and database connection (3-parts)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_dynamic_site_pt 1.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to alfateam1976

I'm amazed at the prices being talked about here but I guess it's where you are located in the World. It's unlikely that anyone in the UK can create that site for under 5k-6k given the design and server langauge required. Perhaps even more!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to alfateam1976

I am stuck with moving objects/tables/spry around the page.

Sorry but DW is not a drag & drop application like Photoshop.   Owing to all the different browsers and web devices these days, there is no such thing as perfect WYSIWYG in Design View.   Use Split View with Live View.  That way you can see a valid representation of your page in one panel while you edit code in the other.

Being able to work with code is essential.  There's no way around it, especially for a project this advanced.

I am also ''fighting'' to connect dreamweaver database to WAMP in order to make the login form work .

Is Wamp server online?  

WAMP-taskbar-online.jpg

Did you start all services?

WAMP-taskbar2.jpg

By any chance, do you have Skype installed on your computer?  

Skype reserves port 80 for its incoming connection which conflicts with WAMP, so simply configure Skype to use another port:

Open Skype, go to Tools|Options|Advanced|Connection uncheck the option --> Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections, that's it. 

Close Skype.  Restart Skype and Restart all services on WAMP by doing the following:

Left-click WAMP tray icon > Restart All Services"

Now Wamp and Skype can co-exist without conflict.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to alfateam1976

alfateam1976 wrote:

After speaking with several web designer about my needs, they recommend me wordpress as its much more easy to update it daily and the same to build it. What do you think ?

Go for it and try Wordpress. You can't lose and you'll learn a lot.

It's not an all-or-nothing decision. If you don't like it you can always try something else later.

alfateam1976 wrote:

Actually I found it one template that is really nice, I need to add forum and payment options , html version its 80$, while wordpress theme version (for exact the same product) its 200$. I dont know which one to chose.

Which Wordpress theme exactly? Got a link?

I don't know of any premium Wordpress themes over $50 and I have dozens of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to John Waller

If it has a forum, e-commerce module and other functions built-in, it might cost more.  But yeah, WordPress is infinitely easier than re-inventing the wheel. 

The Theme is what you're paying for. It shapes the layout, appearance and site functionality.  What your theme lacks in functionality can sometimes be added with plug-ins -- although not all plug-ins work with all Themes. So I like to find a Theme that has all the bells & whistles I'll need built-in.

The WordPress core files are free to download and install on your server.

But before you do, ask your host about WordPress as many have services such as Fantasitco that can install WordPress for you with the press of a button.  Much easier than doing it yourself.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points