Skip navigation
jgb8705
Currently Being Moderated

PDF presets

Sep 21, 2012 1:34 AM

I've created a file in inDesign, exported it using High Quality print (PDF presets) and my Canon ImagePRESS (dropped the .pdf in Creo) is taking forever and a day to print. Should I use the Press Quality option? There are a lot of images and transparency is used a lot as well. But, its never taken this long... I'm printing a book of about 8 pages, it may take 5-7 minutes per book. Should I select another .pdf preset to print my job faster?

Please help!

-Justin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to jgb8705

The PDF presets really determine the quality of the PDF exported from InDesign. The High Print Quality preset (i.e. .joboption) is one of the few that would be appropriate for high quality printing on a digital printer. The only other preset that you could reasonably use for this is PDF/X-4, but that won't generate any simpler PDF.

You don't say what type of “creo” RIP is front-ending the Canon ImagePRESS, but if for example, you are sending it to a Prinergy, you may have a situation in which your file is undergoing a number of unnecessary transformations before finally going to a real RIP at the printer itself. More information would help us help you here.

Ultimately, graphic complexity of your content does directly effect the time for printing. Mnay images and use of transparency can be major contributors to such slow performance. However, the performance problem should only effect the time to print the first copy of your eight page book. Second and subsequent copies should print at full engine speed.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points