Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to stop compiler error panel showing full path for location

Sep 21, 2012 4:18 AM

Tags: #error #panel #location #compiler

I'm using flash cs5.5 with FlashDevelop. When I make a mistake in my code and get a compiler error, flash displays information about the error in the compiler error panel. This has two parts, the location and the description. I am mostly interested in the description, but I would also like to know in which .as file the error can be found, so I do need to see the location too.

Unfortunately, the location is displayed as the full file path, which could be very long, such as :

C:\Users\alex.harrison\Flash\Nessy\BDC_HairyPhonics_CD\Development\Fla sh\Classes\app\screens\games\trickywords\data\TrickyWordsGameData.as

This leaves no room on my screen for the description to be displayed. If I shrink down the portion of the screen given over to the location info, it gets truncated, and only displays the useless end of the filepath, eg:

C:\Users\alex.harrison\Flash\Nessy...

Ideally I would prefer the location to simply display the filename, not the full path. Is there any way to configure it to do this?

And if not, why not?....

cheers,

Alex H

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to alex.harrison

I have no ability to answer the "why not" and doubt anyone here does.  While I cannot be sure what you are trying to describe, if it involves the compiler error window I have found that you can hover over the error and it will appear as a tooltip displaying the whole error.

It could help to better understand your problem if you include screenshots.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to alex.harrison

While you might prefer to have it your way, I am sure there are others who prefer more information rather than less, which is probably why they did it the way it is done, though I can't understand why they have it falling out the area and not wrapping instead.  Still, being able to see the entire message by hovering it is sufficient to get the information you want to see and it doesn't take much time/effort to do it.

I would like to see better error reporting myself, with more information, such as the ones that involve file loading errors where they won't tell you the name of the file that is causing the problem.  Or then there's the 1009 errors where they say an object is null, but you have to do your own research to find out which one it is.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 21, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to alex.harrison

copy the error and paste the error message into a text document that you can manipulate to suit your needs.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 21, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to alex.harrison

for compiler errors, you should be able to double click the error and be taken to the line of problematic line of code.  but if you don't recognize the error type in the panel, you'll still need to drag the description header to view the complete error text.

so, i don't think you can customize that panel to do what you want.  however, you probably could build a custom  panel that does what you want but you'll need to use jsfl and that might be more work than it's worth for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,340 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Sep 21, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to alex.harrison

you're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...