Skip navigation
ci5ic1990
Currently Being Moderated

What did Adobe do to Smart Guides?!

Sep 21, 2012 8:38 AM

Tags: #snapping #smart_guides #snap #snap_to_point #snap_to_anchor #snap_to_path

Recently updated from CS3 to CS6, and although I'm mostly pleased with the improvements, I found that "Smart Guides" are no longer smart. I cannot even manage to snap to an anchor or a path. I've messed with every setting I can find regarding smart guides and snapping, and not one of them has even come close to solving this problem. This is killing my productivity. Any ideas?

Seems like something that wasn't broke but got "fixed" anyways.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to ci5ic1990

I haven't heard others complaining about this. I don't have CS6 and still using CS5 but in order to help the helpers you will be better off if you give an example describing step by step how others can reproduce your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to ci5ic1990

What colour mode is your document in?

Could it be that Snap to Pixel Grid is interfering with the snapping?

Dozens of people have complained about wierd snapping behaviour that can be traced to this.

Snap to Pixel Grid is only useful for web graphics; the rest of the time it's a nuisance.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to ci5ic1990

While dragging, hold down the Cmd key.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to ci5ic1990

In CS5 you also have to hold Ctrl in order to show the snapping labels under the cursor. Without holding Ctrl it still shows the intersections regardless where you drag the path. In your example, click and drag any point of the path (doesn't have to be an anchor and you can do it with the balck pointer too) when one of its ends is on one of the ends of the target path, two intersections lines (horizontal and vertical) will appear at the edge of the bounding box which is the same as snapping an anchor.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to ci5ic1990

The modifier key was probably introduced due to other smart guides changes.

Inspect the new smart guides thoroughly. In my view they are much smarter than the old ones.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points