Skip navigation

Flash Player 11.4.402.265 causes IE to crash

Aug 27, 2012 11:49 AM

Latest reply: Chris Campbell, Jan 14, 2013 10:46 AM
Branched to a new discussion.
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to N.A.Malik

I also tried the new version (11.4.402.278) of the flashplayer and hoped that adobe finally fixed the bug, but I think they fixed some other things, but the main issue is still present !

I'm wondering if adobe is still reading this thread !

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to ErwanBolleurs

Could someone from Adobe advise as to whether or not this latest version (11.4.402.278) was released to address the issue of IE9 crashing.

Adobe "released versions" page appears not to show this latest version and what has been fixed. Also under "known issues" for version .265 there is no mention of this IE9 problem.

Adobe... you are letting your user base down badly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to MikeIT1

I 'm having the same problem. After updating to 11.4.402.265   IE9 has started crashing each time I use it. Following suggestions from Microsoft I

have disabled Flash from the add-ons list of IE and the problem has disappeared. I have then uninstalled 11.4.402.265 and installed 11.4.402.278, re-enabled Flash

and IE has started crashing again.

I confirm I use W7 Pro 64-bit. Now, how can I install 11.3.300.271  if it is not available on the Adobe download page?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

Hi,

get old versions from http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player.php

Cheers,

Niels

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to niels70

Thanks. But see what I get when I press the download button on their oldapps page:

the 11.4.402.278 version! (which doesn't fix the IE problem). Any alternatives?

Screenshot.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

Scroll down the page. They are all there. Might be worth running Adobes' uninstaller first.

See post #53

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Mooly01

There is an earlier post from the adobe employee telling you how to uninstall the version and what the versions are you can install that don’t have the bug.  It may be worthwhile to read through the WHOLE thread than keep asking questions that have already been answered J

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to AliBaba0101

It's not a matter of reading/not reading the whole thread, it's a matter of how reinstate an older version of Flash. That said, this is what I had ALREADY done

before posting:

1. I had uninstalled both the 11.4.402.265 and 278 versions first thing
    2. I have gone to the http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player.php page to download the 11.3.300.271 version.
    3. I have selected the correct link to get  the download page for the version as per point 2
    4. When I click on the download link what I get is the newest version instead of the older one

That's why I'm asking for an alternative site. Doesn't Adobe keep older versions ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

Try downloading archived versions from here (you need to scroll down to see all versions).

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

You are going down the page and clicking the link for 11.3.300.271?  What’s the name of the file it downloads?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

@ M_Ikkerg - Here you go, these instructions will help.  You will need to run the stand alone uninstaller, using the add/remove control panel will not be enough.

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

@ everyone else - We're hoping to have a version of Flash Player with a fix for this issue available to test next week.  I'll keep this thread updated with info as becomes available.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

The filename you should be downloading and installing is fp 11.3.300.271archive.zip and only after you have followed the uninstall procedures listed on the link I just posted

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1022066?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thanks Chris, thats the sort of news we're waiting for

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Thanks Chris. Done. It works fine now!

Looking forward to the updated bug-free version

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to AliBaba0101

Agreed AliBaba010, but there is probably a problem with the oldapps site, because the link says 11.3.300.271 while the file it downloads says 11.4.408.278.

Anyway, I have solved through the adobe Flash Player archive page. Thanks anyway for your support.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to M_Ikkerg

The correct version is few links down there is double listing for 11.3.302.271. Also you need to use -force flag to get it installed.

Anyways, I chose to remove Flash completly from all systems, now IE is no longer crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to Martyvdb

I installed version 11.3.300.271. After I rebooted my computer, I got a message saying "An update to Adobe Flash Player is available". How can I find out which version the updater wants to install?

Thanks,

Shane.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Any new news here yet?  Frustration level at an all time high over here!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to c_Shane

c_Shane.

The updater will always want to install the latest version. If its the normal quick updater message then all you can do is click "remind me later" which seems to hold it off for a few days. Keep doing this untill we have a known good working update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hello Chris,

Will adobe release an updated version this week as you stated in your message? If not do you know when an updated version will be available? I need to make a choice wether to roll-back or wait for an updated version. We have many users that have frequent IE crashes every day since version 11.4.402.265. I can confirm that version 11.4.402.278 does not fix the issue.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 27, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to sgr3

@everyone - Please give our 11.5 beta release a try and let us know if this resolves the problem.  We believe this release should fix this bug and would like to know your results asap.

9/26/2012 - Flash Player 11.5 Beta

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Have had 11.5 Beta installed for a couple of hours now - so far so good!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Just ran the update for 11.5 and unfortunately it did not resolve the crashing issue.  Also note that the error we receive when we do in fact get one is a sysfader error.  I will attach the image to this post.  I'm now wondering if the problem is related to a MS windows update?  I can pretty much recreate the error everytime using mail.yahoo.com.

Win XP Pro SP3 32bit

IE 7.0.5730.13

Adobe 11.5.500.80

Java Version 6 Update 7

Error if you have trouble seeing it. 

Sysfader: iexplore.exe Application Error

The instruction at "0x3cfefcac" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  This memory could not be "read".

image001.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Works for me.  Thanks to you and the developers!  How long does it take for this to become the formal revision?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to AngusK20

Hi, did you do a clean install or an upadate?  Thanks,

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 27, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to INIT99

@SBJASBHerrema - Thanks for the update!

@INIT99 - Thanks for the heads up.  If you disable Flash Player does this error stop occurring?  Do you know if rolling back to 10.3 (or 11.3) fixes the issue for you?  Finally, could you generate a crash dump and send it to ccampbel@adobe.com.  Instructions for doing this are below:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/report-flash-player-crash.html# main_Safari_on_Windows_XP

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 27, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

@AngusK20 - If this fix pans out, our plan is to include it in an 11.4 update in the near future (eta weeks, not months).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I downloaded both the active X and plug-in installers for 11,5,500,80.  I installed the active

X version, confirmed it seemed to work correctly in both 32 and 64 bit IE vesions, and then

installed the plug-in version for Firefox.  I did not run the uninstaller first.  Everything works

about as expected.

The only glitch is the overwriting of the top line of text during the animation in the Flash

player "about" page that occurs in both IE versions, but not Firefox, which is consistent

with previous behavior.

Win 7, 64 bit, Dell Optiplex 390.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Email sent.  Thank you for your help.  Haven't tried the earlier versions yet but will report back. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 27, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to INIT99

Thanks for the crash dump.  I took a look at the stack trace and Flash Player wasn't involved.  It crashed in

mshtm which looks like it was called from javascript.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 27, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

@mikes_adi - any chance you could take a screenshot of the about page so I can see what's going on there?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

11.5 beta works for me. No more crashes from internet explorer!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Seems to work so far for me. I have been following this discussion for approx. 10 days and am glad there is a fix. Thanks, Chris! Will advise if I have future problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Works for me! Solved all the crashes I had. Much obliged.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hello Chris,

I have rolled out version 11.5 to a couple of test users. They were using version 11.4.402.265. I tested with the site http://www.caltek.nl/ using the old version and when you click on "SLA INTRO OVER" IE9 with the latest cumulative update would crash. Rolled out 11.5 and tested with the same users and now it doesn't crash anymore. So I'm happy.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

Further to my last e-mail saying everything was working fine, I've found a hitch.  This isn't exactly a crash and it may simply be down to the status (beta) of this release.  I use the HMRC software called 'Basic PAYE Tools' which runs on Flash.  That may or may not mean anything to you depending upon where you're located (UK or US), but suffice it to say that this software is what I use to pay my employees and record their tax contribution directly to the UK Inland Revenue (HMRC - Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs).  I think it checks to make sure I'm running the latest Flash version when it launches and was (when I downgraded to 11.3) complaining that it wasn't the latest.  Consequently it disabled all Flash functions and left me with a very difficult to navigate HTML interface. Now with Flash 11.5 it doesn't complain, but sadly it also doesn't work.  It just says that it is 'experiencing problems' and won't let me pay anybody.  Naturally this is a bit of a concern for my staff (or will be when I tell them).  The software is a free download from the HMRC website if you need to play with it to see what I mean, but I wonder if something still isn't quite right with 11.5.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/tools/basic-paye-tools.htm#5

This is a very handy, very cool, very simply to use bit of software which gives me the confidence that I am making the correct tax calculations.  Not having it working is, well, a bit of a snag.

Angus

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Adobe_About_IE_9.0.8112.16421.png

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)