Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

YouTube doesn't work correctly in any browser

Sep 14, 2012 3:58 PM

Tags: #problem #error #issue #flash #youtube #skipping #restarting

I recently replaced the motherboard and CPU on my PC (ASUS Z77 Sabertooth, Intel i7 3770K) and completely reinstalled Windows 7, 64-bit. I use Google Chrome for web browsing, and for a while everything worked fine. Then I had to install the "other browsers" version of Flash, and YouTube videos became incredibly glitchy; they will always experience one of three errors:

1. Randomly restart.
  2. Randomly turn green, emit loud crackling (like a bad CD player skipping), and skip ahead in small increments until the video ends. The recommended videos appear as normal.
  3. Randomly get stuck buffering, and then display the recommended videos and replay button as if the video were done.

Things I tried to fix this, in no particular order:

1. Restarting my PC.
  2. Reinstalling Flash.
  3. Uninstalling Flash and letting the Chrome built-in version take over again.
  4. Disabling various combinations of Flash in chrome://plugins.
  5. Reinstalling Chrome.
  6. Using Internet Explorer.
  7. Deleting Flash Player browsing data.
  8. Removing the Flash Player Cache.
  9. Disabling Flash hardware acceleration.

NONE of these things have helped my problem. The only thing that has temporarily alleviated the problems was reinstalling windows again (yes, I completely reinstalled Windows to try to solve this problem). And then a Steam game I installed downloaded Flash without me realizing it, and the problem started all over again. I don't want to reinstall Windows again.

The only indication I can see of a problem is that Flash is telling me I have a 32-bit OS when I have a 64-bit OS, but I don't think that's actually a problem. Chrome, Flash, etc. are all up to date.

Because I frequently unwind with YouTube videos, my PC is effectively useless due to this problem. It's really, really frustrating. Can anyone help me?

Edit: I opted into the HTML 5 trial for YouTube and the problem seems to not happen on videos using HTML5, but it can't be used on videos with ads, even with ad block (which I normally have disabled on YouTube anyway). I also tried disabling my firewall after a friend suggested this, which didn't help either.

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 18, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to Rognik

First, I'm sorry you're running into problems.  Thank you very much for posting all this info, it's very helpful to have complete information like this.  I suspect the timing around the problem occurring and when you installed the plugin version of Flash Player was coincidental.  Chrome uses it's own built in version of Flash Player that is completely separate from the version you installed.

When you changed versions of Flash Player in Chrome, did you verify that the version was different by right clicking on the video being displayed?  Green in video usually indicate a driver issue.  In your screenshot, is hardware acceleration enabled or disabled?

Could you try reverting back to Flash Player 11.2 (or 10.3) to see if this continues to happen?

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Rognik

Green stuff (or other strange colors) usually indicates a problem with the graphics driver.

What is your display adapter, device driver version & date?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to Rognik

Sorry, I just noticed that you posted the dxdiag log, which contains all your driver information.

It seems that your graphics driver is almost the newest, which should not produce such a problem.  Still, can you try the latest driver from the ATI website?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I am having the very same issue. I have the latest version of Flash (as of writing this, 11.4.402.278) and the latest driver for my Intel HD Graphics card (this is an Acer Aspire M3910 desktop box, VGA driver version 8.15.10.2827 the date I see is 2012.07.31.). I tried unistalling Flash using the uninstaller tool (removed all remaining files as described in the instructions), then disabled the built-in Flash plugin in Chrome using chrome:plugins, reinstalled the latest Flash version. I also tried switching betwen the built-in Flash plugin of Chrome and the Adobe one I installed. I tried both with hardware accelaration off and on.

None of the above has helped.

I do not think it is a hardware problem, because

1. It used to work before, no changes have been applied hardware-wise (driver upgrade or anything like that)

2. A friend of mine started having the very same problem on the same day on an entirely different hardware configuration

Any help is appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 21, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Rognik

@Rognik - Thanks for trying 10.3 out.  I'm going to ask our video team to take a look.  I'll let you know what they have to say.

@kicstitian_real - Could you try reverting back to a previous version of Flash Player to see if that resolves the problem?

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 21, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Adam, could you open a bug report on this at http://bugbase.adobe.com.  Please include all of the info from your first and second posts, along with the additional troubleshooting steps you've taken.  Once added, please let me know the bug number and I'll forward this to our video team to investigate (they hadn't seen this reported before).

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 21, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Rognik

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Sep 24, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Adam,

We gave this a try using two similar setups

Win7 64bit - Intel Core2 - AMD HD6970 (8.982.0.0 / 7/27/2012)

- IE9: 11.4.402.278

- Chrome: 11.3.31.232

>

Win7 64bit - Intel 2500K - AMD HD6950 x2 (8.982.0.0 / 7/27/2012)

- IE9: 11.4.402.278

- Chrome: 11.3.31.232

but we've been unable to reproduce this.  The stream that you provided worked fine and we ran it eight times all the way through.  Could there be anything else on your system that we should be aware of?  Any chance you could try another video card or use the built in Intel HD GPU?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

i have been having the same prob. on both my comps

this comp: HP model# p6653w

flash ver.:11.4.402.278

browser: IE

other comp: EMACHGINES model# EL1333G

flash ver.:11.4.402.278

browser: IE

Both are still have factory hardware and have the latest updates for windows and have all the latest drivers for everything. i have tried everything in this post and on the support  site but nothing works even tried chrome and it still does it with chrome . i have talked with several friends and WOW buddies and all seam to be having the same prob. but  all of them are to lazy to report it, which i bet is happening with a bunch of people lol, but they all have tried everything i have and still have the problem. with me and a few others youtube only plays half of the vids we try to watch and half of them stop working in the middle. usually i get a white screen or it will pop up " need to install flash" or "update to the latest version of flash " or something to that extent. i think the only thing i havnt tried was reinstalling windows , which im not going to do, to much of a hassle.  it will also do it when i try to watch movies on xfinity, so i know its not just happening on youtube.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 12:46 AM   in reply to pyrotek29

DirectX 9 up to date ?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 has DX9 & DX11 but Flash Player is using only DX9 as far as I know.

Sadly Microsoft is only updating DX11 via Windows/Microsoft update.

If this fix your problem vote here:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3287974

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris, I tried what you suggested (clean uninstalled Flash Player and reverted back to 10.3 by following the instructions). I no longer experience the video going green and audio glitches, it now simply stops (freezes) after a few seconds Moreover, now I have to enable Flash every time I try to watch a video, because Chrome says "Adobe Flash Player was blocked because it is out of date. [Update plug-in...] [Run this time]".

I know three people in our office experiencing the same problems, all with different hardware configurations and the latest drivers / browsers / Flash player installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to kicsitian_real

If you have 10.3.183.25 (Released 9/18/2012) installed then it is a false alarm from Google Chrome (in my opinion).

You should contact Google.

"Note: Although not recommended, if you don't want Google Chrome to notify you when a plug-in is out of date, use the command line flag --allow-outdated-plugins. Instructions on how to add a command line flag can be found on our Chromium site ."

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to MrX1980

Thanks, that solved it. I also disabled the other plugin of Chrome in chrome://plugins (PepperFlash, the PPAPI one). Now I will give it a few days of testing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Oct 1, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Rognik

I haven't seen the network corruption issue come up recently.  We have had reports of slower network speeds on Firefox with protected mode, but nothing related to corrupted files that I can find.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to Rognik

It just disables the warning, so I do not have to enable the outdated plugin each time. The playback issues are less frequent with 10.3: videos still freeze sometimes after a few seconds, but only occasionally, and no more green video/audio glitches appear.

By the way, I experienced the green screen issue on Vimeo as well, not only Youtube.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Oct 4, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to kicsitian_real

@kicsitian_real - If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend opening a bug report on this over on the Chromium bug database.

How do I report a bug against Flash Player for Google Chrome?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hello, i have had all of the same symptoms as mentioned in this thread for both 10.x and 11.x.

I also wrote about it before in a different thread:
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/4744449#4744449

After days of testing i tracked down the problem to be Comodo firewall :

https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/flash-player-playback-issues -caused-by-comodo-firewall-t87120.0.html

I had to completely uninstall the program before Flash 10.3.183.25 would work properly without these, indeed, strange freezes. "the video image simply freezes and video sound stops or has occasional crackling/distorted snippets"

Now i can finally watch flash videos again on both Youtube and Vimeo. And i have hardware acceleration enabled.

Flash 11.x also works much better after i removed Comodo.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Rognik

Hi Rognik, that's great!

I am also looking for a new firewall, now temporarily using Windows Firewall (ugggh indeed) until i find a proper replacement or when the issues gets bug fixed.

Just playing around with and testing http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/index.php  . I also wonder how Kaspersky Firewall performs. But it's good to know i should avoid Eset Firewall as well. I have a license for the Antivirus programme, and i can at least confirm the antivirus programme is not conflicting any of my programs.

Also check out the last posts in: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4752612#4752612

Adobe Staff Member Jerome Clark posted they are forwarding the issue to Adobe Test Labs. I replied again and also pointed him to your thread. So i hope they find out how the NOD32 Firewall Service and Comodo Firewall Service are affecting/conflicting flash.

Both programs install a service which keeps being active even if you disable the firewall. Thats why uninstalling really only disables the programme.  For me Comodo was also the last option, i never though it would be the problem.

I feel like a kid playing with his new toy. I have been watching films on vimeo all day now for the first time in months without any problems. I feel so happy. :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Rognik

Hi Rognik , you should uninstall microsoft silverlight because i had the same problem since 3 weeks..This Microsoft SilverLight affect online movies (maybe) or are incompatible with them. After i unistalled it, at least in Internet Explorer I don't have anymore problems of Incompatibility. Have a nice day and i hope this helped you. Reply me if you resolved !Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points