I've upgraded to CS5.5 late last year. I've been thinking about upgrading to the CS6. I have a few questions and hope to get some opinions before I make my decision.
I have the Design Premium CS5.5. From what I gather, it's called Design & Web Premium CS6 now. I have reviewed my CS5.5 usage. I use InDesign the most, then Illustrator and Photoshop equally. I hardly ever need to use the web package ie. the Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash (almost never). I am (predominantly) a print designer but I also do web design, never web development though. I always outsource web development. So I mainly just need to output the web pages in layerd .psd files and send them to a web developer.
Just wondering what you guys think, should I just get the Design Standard CS6 and save a $165?
If I just get Design Standard CS6, will the Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash CS5.1 still continue to work?
For just an additional $165 I can get the Design & Web upgrade, but is it worth it when I almost never use the web package?
I know the CS6 Dreamweaver has been improved so designing for mobile app can be done easily. But, I don't get that kinda job because it's not my genre. I don't even know if I will ever get into that path.
Opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Bob Levine wrote:
At this point my advice is to move to Creative Cloud and get everything for $29.99 a month.
Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. That's a special offer price for only 12 months. After that it's full price $49.99.
But I still prefer owning the software because this probably will be my last upgrade until ......
By the way, is it worth upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6? I have Mountain Lion and will be getting Suitcase Fusion 4. At the moment, the font activation isn't working and I'm finding it tideous to activate fonts manually especially when I'm doing concepts, meaning heaps of different fonts on pasteboard.
Would you recommend upgrade to CS6? Is it better on Mountain Lion? I'm not having trouble with CS5.5 at the moment.
Well, I can attest to the value of the upgrade of Suitcase Fusion 4. It’s very stable and offers some nice new features.
As for your statement about not knowing when you’ll upgrade again, be aware that once December 31 rolls around there will be no upgrade pricing for anyone more than one version back. IOW, don’t think you’ll be saving any money by skipping versions.
I have 5.5 and 6 running on Mountain Lion with no issues.
Yes, I heard from you that SF4 works well. So I'm going to upgrade. While reading about SF4 on Extensis website, they talked about CS6 integration. So it got me thinking about upgrading as well.
Yes, I realised there's a deadline to upgrading CS6. Hence I'm looking into it. I upgraded CS5 from CS3, so I know well about the price of upgrading from two version back. It saves to keep it up to date.
If you haven't got any issue, I will look into upgrading but I probably will buy it outright though. Unless later version will come out in a year's time then it would be cheaper to get Creative Cloud.
You missed my point. After this you won’t be able to skip a version without paying full price.
Last Adobe announcement was that new versions would be on a one year cycle. That puts CS7 out in April or May of next year.
Your wallet….your call.
Oh. I did miss your point. Now I understand the benefits of Creative Cloud. It looks like it's the direction Adobe is going. I think it will be good to do it via membership.
Thanks Bob. You've been helpful.