Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error 6 in CS4

Sep 22, 2012 12:30 PM

I tried to load CS4 onto my new imac and I'm getting an error 6 message. Does anyone know what that means and what I can do about it? I can't find my original software discs so have copied the software from my old imac via my external hard drive. Bridge loaded okay.

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 22, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to billymon777

Error 6 is generic. Can you post the detailed error log you would see when the error shows up?

No offense, but are you using a legit copy of Photoshop? Sometimes Error 6 occurs due to problem with activation. Sometimes, it may also be the case if you did not deactivate PS on your previous computer.

Please post more details so we can look into it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 22, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to billymon777

I can't find my original software discs so have copied the software from my old imac via my external hard drive

Did you just move the .app into your new machine or did you use the installer to re-install? The disc shouldn't be a cause for concern as long as you had the original DMG file that was in the disc to install on your machine.

Are you using the same serial number you had used on your previous iMac? If so, have you deactivated Photoshop on your old iMac before installing it on your new iMac?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 22, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to billymon777

That is not the right way for moving between machines.

You must use an installer. If you don't have the Installation Disc, do you at least have a disc image for the same? Have you made a copy of the Installer on your local system or something?

If you don't have the disc, the other option would've been to download a trial from Adobe. But since CS4 is over 2 main versions old, you cannot download CS4 from Adobe website anymore.

Another alternate would be for you to find someone who uses CS4 to see if you can make a copy of the installer disc. Install with this disc, use your serial key to activate.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2012 2:05 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Sudarshan Thiagarajan wrote:

If you don't have the disc, the other option would've been to download a trial from Adobe ... use your serial key to activate.

There seems to be legitimate CS4 Trial downloads still available via http://prodesigntools.com/download-adobe-cs4-and-cs3-free-trials-here. html

Follow the download instructions carefully, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to conroy

error 6 is an configuration error it means that application doesn't have access to some folders (permissions mising).

Try to set permissions to slstore and pcd :

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/configuration-error- cs5.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 22, 2012 10:21 PM   in reply to conroy

There seems to be legitimate CS4 Trial downloads still available via http://prodesigntools.com/download-adobe-cs4-and-cs3-free-trials-here. html

Conroy, That doesn't work. It's backlinked to Adobe downloads section. The file is no longer available there.

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, there still is a way to get CS4 installation. But I dont think I can post that on this forum!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 10:39 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Conroy, That doesn't work. It's backlinked to Adobe downloads section. The file is no longer available there.

It does actually work but not by direct clicking on the link. That leads to a 404.

The secret's in setting the trials cookie (steps 1 to 4).

Once the cookie is set, the download pulls the correct file from a different URL.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 22, 2012 10:55 PM   in reply to John Waller

Well thats what I tried, John. But, I guess my e-mail id is registered for Volume Licensing from CS3 onwards and my Volume Lincense account has CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 & CS6 registered. Is that the reason I'm unable to set a 'trial' cookie?

Not that I want to download CS4 from here - but just out of curiousity!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

... Conroy, That doesn't work. It's backlinked to Adobe downloads section. The file is no longer available there.

It does work for some people.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to conroy

Back when I tried that site I failed at it the first time I tried, and thought the same as Sudarshan.  But then I found that you have to follow their instructions to the letter, and it does work.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yep, I did say: "Follow the download instructions carefully, though."

I've just checked again in case the download has been pulled in the last 24 hours.  It's still available - the download started. The Mac file is ADBEPHSPCS4_LS1.dmg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to conroy

Y'know, we wouldn't be discussing this if Adobe would just include download links with the product info listed in users' My Adobe pages, even if they bought a boxed disc.

Would this be so terrible?  Clearly Adobe wants to limit the number of different packages people can use for 30 free trial periods or something, so they don't keep the old files right out in the open, but c'mon, clearly people are still downloading the files anyway, so why not make it easy for paying customers to get a replacement copy?  It's just the right thing to do.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 23, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I guess they do have a Media Replacement program if you've lost your media or if it is damaged. But there are no direct links to this on their support page. The best bet would be to talk to their customer care. I'm sure they're going to charge a premium for this!

I feel saved with the Volume Licensing as I get all my softwares as ESD (electronic software downloads)!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

To be clear I get all my retail Adobe software as downloads as well, though not through volume licensing, and while of course I've made my own media backups I can still download the software from Adobe if I want to.  In fact I'm re-downloading Photoshop CS6 right now just to see if they've refreshed the download with the 13.0.1 update.

The key is for the versions I bought as downloads, I can return to the My Order History section of the web site and download the software again if I want to.  The download link is still there, for example, for Photoshop CS3, which I bought as a download in April 2007.

My point is simply this:  Why not just provide a download link on that same page for software purchased in a box as well? Then people won't have to do backflips per the ProDesignTools website.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Sep 23, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

My point is simply this:  Why not just provide a download link on that same page for software purchased in a box as well? Then people won't have to do backflips per the ProDesignTools website.

Because that way, they cannot charge you for the media disc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

You're no doubt right.  It's hard not to feel squeezed after buying arguably the most expensive software available, isn't it?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points