Skip navigation
AlanPezzulich
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble with Video

Sep 22, 2012 10:09 AM

Tags: #video #cs6

I have edited video before in CS6  and the first frame was displayed as the thumbnail. Now I am getting a frame from the third video clip that I added. I have a new video cam which shoots at 1080, 60p.

How can I make it choose the first frame for the thumbnail?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to AlanPezzulich

It would help if we knew the camera and something about your system...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to AlanPezzulich

Along with Mylenium's questions, please go into detail about the video files, that your camera produces, in as much detail, as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to AlanPezzulich

Thank you for that info.

One more quick question: does your Exported Video start with a fade from black?

Also, the thumbnail display for Video can differ via format and CODEC, plus also the program that is being used, whether Windows Explorer, Bridge, ThumbsPlus, IrfanView, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to AlanPezzulich

Where are you looking at the thumbnails?

Some programs will show the first Frame, regardless of what it is. Some will go to beyond any Dip-to-Black, and show the first full Frame. A few will not show any thumbnails (usually depends of format/CODEC), and a few others seem to pick a random Frame, that might be well into the footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to AlanPezzulich

Alan,

Now I am using an older version of Bridge, but with some flavors of MPEG, I get no thumbnails, even when the first Frame is not black (no Fade In).

Usually, DV-AVI's and WMV's display the first Frames, and some MPEG's do too.

I can only speculate on the reasons for a lack of thumbnail, and that starts with the way that the file headers are written - perhaps something missing, or not recognized? Next, MPEG (like several other formats/CODEC's) is a GOP (Group of Pictures) structure, so for about every 15 Frames, one has only 1 I-Frame (with the full visual information), and then ~ 15 "difference Frames," that reference back to the changes from that previous I-Frame. That means that if the cataloging program does NOT focus on that first Frame, then all it sees are the difference Frames, and there is no real image. See this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2722719#2722719

Remember, that is but speculation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points