Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bender Extensions Dead ?

Sep 22, 2012 8:07 PM

What happened to Pixel Bender ?  I was hoping to install this bender extension, unfortunately it is only for CS4, any solution to something eqivulant ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2012 8:16 PM   in reply to StrongBeaver

StrongBeaver wrote:

What happened to Pixel Bender ? 

See http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/07/changes-to-pixel-bender-support-2 .html

Adobe blames the developers for lack of support, the developers blame Adobe for lack of support.

Make of that what you will. There are always at least two sides to every story.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to StrongBeaver

See Photoshop CS6: Please support PixelBender

The team that wrote it didn't see enough customer interest, dropped it, then broke up the team.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

That is a shame, but when in business, one must look at ROI. Development and implementation take time, resources, and money. That is how it is.

Heck, I still have not forgiven Adobe for buying, but then killing the font management program, FontMinder in favor of ATM, which was already in the stable, but which only had about 1/10the power. Still, I never sat down with Adobe's CFO to tell them how I felt. ATM is effectively gone, FontMinder is long dead, but such is life in business. You have to justify everything, and if that does not work - you are gone.

Bye-bye Pixel Bender.And FontMinder...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

There's such a thing as being a bit ahead of your time.

At least Oil Paint survived.  That's actually got some uses beyond just making oil painting like renditions of images.

I assume you didn't lose all that GPU expertise in that you now use GPU acceleration in a lot of things via the Mercury engine.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

"Ahead of your time... ?" Like Kodak developing digital imaging, but then staying focused on silver-based capture? Or, Xerox with PARC?

In a free-market society, it happens all the time. If one could just peer into the future, all would be better.

I fondly remember Aldus Software, and their Designer Suite. PhotoStyler was a godsend to me, and PageMaker was wonderful. Freehand did not get used that much. Soon, Adobe bought many of the assets of Aldus, and PageMaker lived to become InDesign. PhotoStyler was left behind, in favor of Photoshop. Freehand had a rebirth with MacroMedia, but faded away, in favor of Illustrator. It just happens. The old PhotoStyler crew became Ulead, and have done some neat stuff, over the years. Some is still around, and some lives on with Corel.

Some software lives on - some does not make it, and often for different reasons. Going back a bazillion years, I shot an ad series for a company called IBM (knew them from my engineering days), for something called a "Personal Computer." I loved the assignment, but could never imagine what sort of market such a device would have. Well, for IBM, maybe not so much, but for hundreds (maybe thousands) of other companies, it was the future, and now the present.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to StrongBeaver

If you have photoshop cs5 the pixel bender plugin is still available:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/pixelbenderplugin/

Also most of the pixel bender files (pbk) that say for cs4 will work in cs5 as well including the one you linked to:

photoshop cs5:

Untitled-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to StrongBeaver

If your talking about from the page you linked to in your post, you would just unzip and extract the download then copy the

QuaternionJulia.pbk to either:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Pixel Bender Files

and/or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Pixel Bender Files

then start or restart cs5.

Of course you also need the pixel bender plugin installed.

The file isn't actually an extension, but a pixel bender kernal file.

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points