Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

export pdf for screen with CMYK transparency

Sep 22, 2012 9:36 PM

Tags: #cmyk #export #screen #tranpsarency

so i created a pdf and it turns out it for on screen -not print.

so i used transparency effects with CMYK.

changing it to rgb messes up the look.

how can i just flatten this stupid thing for web view?

i exported smallet quality but changed the compression image quality to maximum. still looks dirty a bit...

i just want to flatten it completely. its not being printed at all!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

Not seeing waht you have, I'd suggest maybe exporting the print PDF first, then use the tools in Acrobat Pro to first convert the colors to sRGB, and then run the PDF Optimizer to flatten the transparency and reduce the file size. Play with a copy.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

How much have you downsampled the images, and waht quality compression? There's always a tradeoff.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

I do a lot of print work for customers who then wish to post a copy to their websites. They still want it to look good, but they need a small file size. I've used the following trick - but JUST for the web, this should never be used for print. Export your file from InDesign using a lower downsampling setting - 150, 100, etc. Whatever setting is a good compromise for your images. Most designers have a lower setting that they use regularly for proofing purposes. Open the file in Acrobat Pro. Go to File Menu—>Save As—>More Options—>Postscript. Take the postcript file and run through Acrobat Distiller. Use the Standard setting (150 dpi). You will find that whether you have used your original CMYK or changed your output to RGB, your file size is significantly reduced (i.e. from over 3MB to 890 kb) and the images still render decently. You can play with the compression numbers to find just the right combo for you. (Printing a postscript from ID will not gain you the same file size savings, but I'm sure if you then ran the resulting PDF through the same procedure it would probably work similarly.) Again, ONLY use this method if you are posting to the web, it will not produce print-ready files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points