Skip navigation
Tony Deller2
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Crop Tool and the disappearing image?

Sep 20, 2012 4:08 AM

I am new to CS6. Sometimes when I use the the crop tool, the image I want to crop disappears from the screen. I am left with a blank screen/window so cannot see where to place the crop. When I click to another tool a pop up window asks me if I want to make the crop? To which I click the 'don't crop' button and my image reappears. As soon as I click on the crop tool again, the image again disappears.

Why? What am I doing wrong? It does not happen every time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

Hi tony.deller,

I've tried to replicate what I think may be happening to you. When I first select the crop tool, here is what I see:

Crop-tool-1.jpg

Notice the "L" shapes at each corner. Those are the handles you use to drag into your image as you decide how to crop it. What I noticed is that they are really responsive and can move quickly. I made my photo disappear off the screen by accidentally dragging one of the corners too far.

Here is what that looked like:

Croptool-2.jpg

I dragged too far up and to the left and the cropping area moved completely off the image. If I had pressed the Enter key to complete the crop, my entire photo would have been cropped away. If you find yourself in this situation, try starting over. You can escape out of a bad cropping situation by using these keyboard shortcuts (this shortcut uses the period key plus either the Command key on Mac or Control key on Windows):

Mac: Cmd + .

Windows: Ctrl + .

I hope this helps,

Luanne

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to Tony Deller2

That sounds like you've got a video card driver problem (like many similar posts in the Photoshop general forum).

Try updating your video card driver from the GPU maker's website.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

Hi, Tony, you are lucky to have no less than two adobe employees, as the "Staff" behind their name describes it, to take care of your problem.

Chris happens to be one of the software engineers that actually write Photoshop!

Chris reads a lot of issues that customers sends, so I would tempt to believe him.

You may let us know the version of your driver, and many other details useful for troubleshooting by going to the "help>system info..." menu in Photoshop, and posting its contents.

We might then see the version of your graphic driver.

Sometimes, just updating it from the version published the next month might be sufficient to fix such issues.

You can go to http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html and search if a new version has been published.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

Also, Tony, please edit your username to something else than an email to avoid getting spam!

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Sep 23, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

No problem, Tony, we've all been beginners at one point.

Click on your name on the top right, in the actions box, select Edit Adobe profile. select the "Personal Info" tab, and edit the Screen name, as you did rightfully describe in your post. It might be possible that another user already used "Tony Deller", so you might want to try to change it somehow, by adding an underscore, or anything that you will remember.

Hope this helps!

About the graphic drivers, it might be a good idea, indeed, and do post your system info, it might help highlight a possible problem!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

I've had the same problems as Tony Deller. I  have an image on-screen and the second I click on the crop tool the entire image disappears. If I then select another took the image reappears. This happens with all of my files. This is using PS CS6 on a brand new Dell 8500 running Win7. I downloaded PS with my Creative Cloud subscription. It installed both the "regular" (?) CS PS 6 Extended version along with the 64-bit version. I was in the 64-bit version. I decided to open a file in the "regular" (I assume 32-bit) version and didn't have any problem. But aren't I losing some advantages to 64-bit by using the 32?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Tony Deller2

Please let us know if that worked for you Tony.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

Glad to hear it Tony. Happy cropping!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

I need some help with this too.  I have checked my video card ADM Radeon HD 7700 and it is up to date. I am using brand new Dell XPS 8500, Windows 7, 64-bit operating system.  When I have multiple files open when ever I try to use the crop tool the image I am trying to crop disappears.  If I just have one image open it seems to work fine.  Very frustrating.  Help, please.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Tony Deller2

I have to take that back, it still does not work on a single image.  It disappears. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to Sherrydog

Sherrydog, I also have an almost new Dell XPS 8500, Win 7, 64-bit OS. I had the exact same problem. I thought it would have come with the latest driver, but no such luck. After not finding a newer video card driver that helped, I finally called Dell and the rep was VERY helpful. There was a driver that wasn't even listed on their website that I needed, he did some digging and found the URL for me, and BINGO! My crop tool doesn't make images disappear anymore. The rep said he was going to tell "someone" at Dell they needed to have that driver on their website and to please fix. That was a few months ago so I hope it's available through Dell's website. Hope that helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to claire s

Glad to know I'm not alone. This has happened a few times to me and it's frustrating. I'm not new to PS, or computers. I'm a designer and it's the first time I've seen this in any version of PS going back prior to The Creative Suites!  The Windows (W7-64Bit OS) HP machine I'm using is new, I know it's not a card issue, I could go for the driver explanation, except that I just updated my creative cloud apps a few days ago, and I've been using PS all morning and suddenly my image disappears when I click the crop tool. The last time it happened, I closed the program and restarted, but when you're in the middle of a project with several tabs open . . . well, it's a pain in the @$$. Equally frustrating is the time you have to take to search for an actual answer!

Claire, I'm glad that this worked for you but I'm inclined to believe that theres an error in the software and a fresh restart of the app and your computer, likely resolved the issue for now.  I'm simply here to ask that Adobe take a deeper look into this, and perhaps get more info before responding to people by telling them they have a video card problem. We're paying an awful lot for this software as it is, I would like to think that they would not expect people to run out and buy a new video card based on advice from a forum. There ARE people who would follow this advice and do just that. So, anyone reading this  . . please be sure that you have a professional tech look into this before you spend money on unecessary hardware!

Thanks and good luck to you all!

Christi G

Adobe User & EXTREME SuperFan!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 2:01 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have the same problem as the person who initiated this post (Tony).... It's 2013 now and when I downloaded Creative Cloud today and went to crop something, it simply disappears. It's maddening... Has anyone found anything new on this problem. My computer is new too...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hello,
    I have begun having this problem as well!
    I have CS4, and I have used it since it came out. I have cropped so many times through out the years, and now i suddenly cannot do it any more.
    Presently it is photos straight from the camera (like all the other times).
    The only thing I can see it that it must been an update from Adobe that has buggered it up.
    This is really anoying and a feature I miss!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to hmd2009

Hi,

Yours might be a different problem/solution since the crop tool in cs4 is different from cs6/cc.

If with the Crop Tool selected, you press the Clear button in the tool options bar, does that resolve the issue?

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 3:15 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

Hello,

I pulled the crop frame over my photo but then the Clear button disappears.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to hmd2009

You would press the Clear button before drawing out the crop.

You might also just reset the Crop Tool by right clicking on the Big crop tool icon in the tool options bar and then clicking on Reset Tool.

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

Ok.
    It seems to work now. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)