Skip navigation
Nic0nik0
Currently Being Moderated

Advice on how to keep Flash website small & fast

Sep 12, 2012 5:51 AM

Tags: #as3 #graphics #loader #external_swf #flash_site #website_speed #ui_loader

Hi, I'm developing my first Flash website (I know, I know, there are plenty of reasons to use other development products, but for now it will be Flash), and I envision a site with several pages and needing to load some large graphics.  I'm doing the main design work in Illustrator and importing it into Flash.  I'm not too concerned with animation except perhaps moving some buttons around.  My plan so far is to use a lot of UI loaders to keep the main .swf small and to really try to keep the coding pretty simple as I'm a newbie anyway.  I'm looking for general advice on how to prevent the main site from loading quickly - for example, I don't have a good sense of the best format to use for graphics, or which makes the site slower: using several UI loaders or just keeping the content in the main site?  Is a lot of code or large graphics more draining on the load time?  Any thoughts on what you think I can do or not do to keep it lean would be super appreciated, or any other resources you might be able to point me to.

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 12, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Nic0nik0

"I'm looking for general advice on how to prevent the main site from loading quickly"

That contradicts the title of your posting. 

Optimize/resize all graphics that you import into the file before you import them.  Otherise, load all sizeable content dynamically, especially sound and video files.  Which types of images you use depends on the nature of the images and the intentions.  Generally, between jpeg and gif you will get the best savings bite-wise.  Anything you can draw using the Flash drawing tools is a bonus in the savings department.

Instead of using UILoaders, use code-based Loaders.  Using Flash components tends to add weight when you don't need it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to Nic0nik0

If you have vector drawing in illustrator, then importing them as vectors into Flash is the better way to go.  I do not have alot of experience working with Illustrator (in any regard, nevermind in association with Flash), but what I usually do with illustrator graphics is copy them in Illustrator and paste them into Flash instead of importing them.  I don't know if this buys me anything, but what I end up with is just the graphic elements I need.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Nic0nik0

Nah... really really stupid questions only get asked in non-Flash forums.  The size of the swf is not tied tot the size of the fla.  The fla has alot more baggage that inflates its size greatly compared to the swf it creates.  The swf will end up bearing the weight of whatever content you put in it.

If you want to see what's adding weight to your swf, go into your Flash Publish Settings and select the option to Generate Size Report.  When you publish the file it will display a detailed report of each element and the weight it contributes to the swf.

As far as dynamically loading swf's, it is often a necessity, unless the swf is strictly an animation.  If you import an swf into an fla file, all of the actionscript that might have been in it is stripped out.

Code will have negligible weight in a file.  Images (large/heavy ones) can put lead shoes on a file, along with video and sound files.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to Nic0nik0

You're welcome

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers