• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash is missing after installation.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac 10.5.8 running Safari 5.0.6. After the incremental update to 10.5.8 the installed version of Flash no longer worked. I've attempted to install the new version three times. The download and installation seem straightforward, it says it's installed, but all websites say I don't have it, I and cannot find Flash Player on my HD. (I've run uninstallers twice between attempts at installation, and the installers are on the HD.) Flash does appear in my system prefs, and says that v. 10.3.183.23 is installed, but the Adobe website page that has a box to show your installed version is empty - there's not even an error message.

I've been through the instructions and the troubleshooting three times with the same result, and the Adobe and other fora twice without finding a similar problem. I'm usually good at doing my own troubleshooting, but this has me stymied. I hope I'm just overlooking something obvious. Suggestions, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna,

In Safari, please click Help > Installed Plug-ins.

Do you see Shockwave Flash there?

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for replying!

Alas, no Shockwave plug-in.

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

Could you please go to the following folder: Library/Internet Plug-ins

Ideally you should see Flash Player entries there.

Please see the following post for more information: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4650606

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

Yes, both Flash Player Plug-ins were in the folder when I looked.

After looking at the links I wondered if I had some old stuff on my HD that was incompatible, so I trashed both plug-ins, the installer that was still on my desktop, all of the installer docs in my downloads folder, and Flash Player 9 that I found in my apps folder.

Then I installed again.

Both plug-ins re-appeared in the Internet Plug-ins folder, and the Flash PrefsPane says version 10.3.183.20 is installed.

But there is no Flash Player in my Applications folder and the New York Times and Pandora do not recognize FP on my computer.

Thank you for your continuing help.

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

I am not sure what's going wrong here. Flash Player version 10.3.183.23 is the latest version supported on your machine.

Could you please uninstall Flash Player by following the instructions at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html.

Then install Flash Player by visiting the following link: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

I uninstalled, and then installed again, per instructions.

The Internet Plug-ins appeared in the folder, and the Flash PrefPane now says that v. 10.3.183.23 is installed.

But the websites don't recognize it, it doesn't appear in my Apps folder, and the FP Find Version page shows an empty box.

I noticed that the uninstall instructions include a step to manually delete the following:

\Library\Internet Plug-Ins\Flash Player.plugin\

Library\Internet Plug-Ins\flashplayer.xpt

~\Library\Preferences\Macromedia\Flash Player\

~\Library\Caches\Adobe\Flash Player\

I deleted the first two, but the second two did not exist in the Prefs and Caches folders, and they did not appear after the install. Should they have, or are those from older versions?

Thanks,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

The last two folders will not have Flash-related plugins. Also, Flash Player is supported on Mac 10.5.

Now, in Safari, when you go to Help > Installed Plug-ins, do you see Shockwave Flash? Or is this page blank?

If that's the case, go to Safari > Preferences > Security. Select the Enable Plug-in option.

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

There is no Shockwave Flash Plug-in installed in Safari, but the Plug-in option is enabled in Safari and has been all along.

Thanks,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue in Chrome.  I have tried multiple attempts at installing, uninstalling, enabling, troubleshooting, etc.  I have the same operating system as Anna above.  I am guessing th problem is on Adobe's end and not on our end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pvanleer, what prompted you to install the new version of Flash? Was it because the old version did not work after the incremental upgrade to OSX v. 10.5.8, as was the case for me? Or was it something else? I'm trying to narrow the possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem in Chrome. OS 10.5.8

Have installed and unistalled a few times and I'm told on sites that require it that my Flash is out of date and has been disabled.

I go to chrome://plugins/ in the browser, and flash is there and enabled, but it's giving me a link titled 'DowloadCritical Security Update' which is version 10.3.183.23, the same I've been trying to install repeatedly, but it's just refusing to work.

That's my situation. Help appreciated as it's tres annoying.

Thanks

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the Genius Bar because I was having other issues and mentioned this one.  They told me that my operating system was out of date.  The 10.5.8 is about three generations behind.  This is not updated with the regular Mac updates, you actually have to pay to update to the newer version.  Because 10.5.8 is SO FAR behind, I need to update to 10.6 using a CD first, then I can update to 10.8 through the iTunes app store.  I had to call 1-800-APL-CARE to order the CD.  Hopefully when it comes, everything will get better.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be the reason, but I was hoping if I didn't say it out loud it wouldn't be true. Oh well, good thing I've got some money saved.

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pvanleer, although it's true that there are newer versions of OSX, this not the cause of the problem we've been having, and it is not necessary to keep upgrading every time Apple comes out with a new version. Millions of people are using 10.5 and earlier versions, which is why Adobe still offers Flash Player for those versions. Flash v. 10.3.183.23 is specifically for OSX v. 10.4 and 10.5, and there are other versions of Flash for both older and newer versions of OSX. Obviously, many people with the older versions are still using Flash without having to upgrade to 10.8. But I hope it works for you.

I'm going to keep hoping that someone at Adobe is still paying attention to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

I hope you face this issue only with Chrome. I just tested it on Mac 10.5.8.

Google doesn't support the latest version of Chrome on Mac 10.5.8. http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2599452

For me, however, Flash Player is working fine on a previous version - Chrome 20.

Could you please let us know your Chrome version?

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil,

As I said in my first post:

"I'm on a Mac 10.5.8 running Safari 5.0.6."

The two other people who have posted recently in this thread use Chrome.

I do not use Chrome and never have.

Perhaps you could test Flash v. 10.3.183.23 with Safari 5.0.6?

Thank you.

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash currently works for me on Safari but is asking me to update, I refused since I'd like it to work on at least one browser (don't like firefox). So I would but until the Chrome problem is sorted I'm hesitant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna,

Sorry. I remember you giving me the correct details.

I tested Flash Player on Mac 10.5.8. It's working fine for me.

1. I have Safari 5.0.5.

2. Flash Player version is 10.3.183.23.

3. In Safari > Help > Installed Plug-ins, I can see Shockwave Flash.

4. In Safari > Preference > Security, I have enabled JavaScript and Plug-ins.

5. In the Library > Internet Plugin folder, I have Flash Player.plugin.

You mentioned you can't see Shockwave Flash in the Installed Plug-in page. Ideally you should be able to see. Do you see other plug-ins, but not Shockwave Flash? Could you please check 4th point again?

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sunil,

I solved this problem by downloading Firefox and using it to successfully download and install Flash (on my second try, after I realized that I had to first uninstall the useless partial Safari download). I still don't know what the exact problem was, but it was clearly browser related. My clue was that you were testing on a diferent version of Safari than the one I was using. Hope that's helpful for you in the future.

Thanks,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines