Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Abobe Media Encoder is Now Broke After Update!

Sep 21, 2012 2:15 PM

Hi,

To my dismay, I discovered that Media Encoder no longer exports mp4 files. Each time I try it now, it exports a file with the extension m4v instead of mp4, and it will not play. This is CS6 on a MacBook Pro running mountain lion. It was working previously before the latest update from Adobe. Anyone else experiencing this?

When I try and play back the m4v file, I am seeing this error.

Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 5.14.35 PM.png

thx

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 21, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Keith Lee

AME should output m4v files only when the multiplexer is set to None, in which case you get separate audio and video files. Please check which preset was used and what the muxer is set to. Please let us know if it's set to anything other than None, in which case you may have found a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Keith Lee

I just encoded to all three of the iPad2 system presets, and all outputs are .mp4.

If you send a copy of your custom preset to me [mapes (at) Adobe *dot* com], and I'll see if I can repro with it. [To do so, select it in the Preset Browser and click the Export Presets button.]

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2012 9:11 PM   in reply to Keith Lee

I had this exact same problem, but when exporting using the Vimeo h264 tweaked preset. The tweak I made was not to export the audio. It then kept making .m4v files, not the .mp4 files and I couldn't play them. I too had no problems with CS5.5

I got around it by simply not unchecking the export audio. It then produced the correct mp4 file and I could play it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to liquidguru2

Same problem, but not with the legacy h264 encoder, which was one work around, the other was just to include audio with the encode.  When checking the log, it shows that it is writing out an .mp4 file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to liquidguru2

I had the exact same problem & resolution for trying to produce H.264 Youtube HD 720p 25 video files.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Keith Lee

Yes Keith, Mac OS X 10.8, and no, the m4v output did not play back at all (I tried Quicktime 7 & 8 and VLC), and the 'file' command line utility did not recognize the contents. A superficial hexdump check shows that the file does not have the typical header for 'proper' M4V video files (signature 00 00 00 14 66 74 79 70), so it really seems to be the bare video stream.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to Keith Lee

Windows 7 on my end.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I'm sure glad I found this forum posting, because I have just wasted 3 days attempting to use AME to create MP4s for a customer!  I have exactly the same problem reported here by others.  I was not exporting audio.  The workaround of exporting audio, even though there is no such track, seems to work, but I'm uncomfortable delivering this as a finished product to this customer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to liquidguru2

Thanks for posting this guys. I thought I forgot how to export .mp4s till I saw this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to liquidguru2

I will have to try keeping the Export Audio box checked.  I am having the same .m4v problem when trying to save as mp4, and my videos have no audio (screen capture tutorials) so I chose not to export the audio.  I will see if keeping the box checked works.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit, CS6 Master Collection Student Teacher;  I just downloaded the full version (paid for) a couple of days ago, so apparently, this is still a bug.

I had posted this same type of question earlier today, now I found this forum.  I don't know if the problem was there before the update because I just bought my Adobe products the other day (November 10, 2012) and installed the updates prior to even opening any single one of the Adobe programs.  Oddly enough, Handbrake does a fine job, so I am using that until I figure out the problem with AME.

UPDATE: 

YES!  Keeping that Export Audio box checked resolved the problem.  What I did was (since there was no audio in the original) just take the audio settings down to the lowest possible quality so as to save on file size output.

Thanks for the pointer!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to BonniesDharma2012

I seem to have the same problem after leaving the audio on but I check Best Render/Maximum render quality.

I have to also out put a 1440x1080 version for a certain mobile app interface and keep trying to find a built in preset but I always get the 16:9 format. Can't seem to find out how to output to 1440:1080 without stretching the image. and also rendering properly as an mp4 file

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

To reproduce the bug you should import footage without audio. Then you export it without audio. There is 100% chance that you get corrupted m4v file instead of playable mp4.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to BonniesDharma2012

Yes, this has worked for me as well. Really hoping Adobe fix this nonsense, as h264 is kind of like.. ya know... important.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to alexenman

Just experienced this issue for first time today---just got cs6--when I exported a prppro sequence without audio to h.264 legacy format then it gave me a good .mp4 file that was playable-but the regular h.264 gave me an unplayable (in vlc, playable in windows media player) .m4v file

quick question

what's the difference between the h.264 and the legacy h.264--I guess the mainconcept codec is not used for the new h.264?--Is that it--is there some reason we should not use the legacy format anymore?--i just assume it's more compatible than the "new" h.264 in ame and the legacy still works well for me-so I'd like to continue using it until adobe works out the kinks on the newer version--any thoughts?

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to TL2121

I do not want to be pathetic, but use x264. You will get better quality and smaller file. I do not encode to H.264 from adobe products anymore. I've asked them to implement x264 in Media Encoder by feature request, but it seems they do not feel the same as I do about the issue. May be  it is hard to take that open source product is better than commercial ones.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to Keith Lee

I just wanted to chime in and say that I have the same issue -- Mac OS x 10.8.2 ... unchecking the audio button on the H.264 preset results in a .m4v file that is unplayable.  Please fix!  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to thornomad

Same problem here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to MannyEdwards

Also same problem here. I work on Mac OS X 10.8.3 and tries to output mp4 file with sound and image. The file is useless, can't even be red by VLC. The setting is Youtube HD 1080p 29,97 fps VBR 1 pass.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

This is still borked.

I'm trying to make an mp4 file to use for sound design and it won't let me.

Help me, Adobe Tech Support. You are my only hope!

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to Mars Rising

> Help me, Adobe Tech Support. You are my only hope!

This forum is not Adobe Technical Support. This is a user-to-user forum where people help out in their free time. If you want a guaranteed response from Adobe Technical Support, you can contact them here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Mars Rising

Do you installed the latest update? I installed it and it fixed my export problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Mark, or Todd, or anyone.... does anyone know why both AME CS55 and CS6 export .mp4 files that are 20% - 30% larger when running on Mountain Lion, vs. Snow Leopard?

I see this consistently, with same media inputs, same output presets, etc., etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to evnglst2

that's a good question...have you checked to make sure the output is set to the same bps ratein both OS's?

Maybe try exporting straight from AE or Premiere and see if anything changes?

sorry I can't be of much more help but please post if you find a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to mlfix

These are 1280 x 800 screen capture, so size is really important. With CS 5.5, I'm usually around 500 kbit/s, and with CS6, output is usually at 600 kbit/s.

Yes, the output template is identical. I have set Target Bitrate to .5 Mbps, and Max Bitrate to 1 Mbps.

And I've tried it in both AME and Premiere, but not AE. (I'm assuming they all use the same AME code.....)  It would be really nice to have an answer, because I have two machines I've keep on Snow Leopard just for compression! And would like to upgrade everything to ML.

G.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to Keith Lee

"AME should output m4v files only when the multiplexer is set to None, in which case you get separate audio and video files. Please check which preset was used and what the muxer is set to. Please let us know if it's set to anything other than None, in which case you may have found a bug".

I've now experienced this issue and, while it appears that this is the intended behavior, there are two observations to be made.

1) Import an AE project into ME. If export audio is unchecked, the muxer remains set to mp4 and the file extensions are shown as mp4 in Media Encoder; however, ME does indeed output a .m4v file.

2) Rendering same project in AE without audio however produces .mp4 file.

As a result...

"Soundless" AE files are more readily "playable" since "soundless" .m4v files are, well, virtually impossible to play. Prime example: under Win 8 desktop, click the AE .mp4 file and the Win 8 "Metro" player handles it just fine whereas the ME .m4v shows as unplayable. Unfortunately, the SAME unplayability resuls occur using Media Player, Qucktime Player and the vaunted VLC Media Player. AE really appears to do it right and it's interesting that, as of CS6, there is this encoding difference and, of course, furthur interesting that ME changed it's ways with an update at some point.

Three presets were used in Media Encoder yielding identical, i.e. .m4v files, results. H.264, Youtube HD 720p 23.976, HD 1080p 23.976 and NTSC DV 24p. P.S. renaming .m4v to .mp4 doesn't make it playable either.

AE selections were selecting H.264 from the drop down menu and leaving audio unchecked. BTW, examining the Format Options, Multiplexer tab under these selections shows mp4 as the muxer.

And, to be sure the value of AE's method is fully appreciated, please again note that AE renders generate a very friendly playable "soundless" .mp4 whereas ME's "soundless" .m4v is virtually unplayable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points