• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove sound from videos in PS CS6 extended?

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a series of movies which I intended to individually import into PhotoShop CS6 Extended, add end credits, and then export WITHOUT SOUND. For the life of me, I can't see any way to remove the audio from the movies! I'm sure this feature was easily available in the PS CS6 beta version. Any clues?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

In your video layer, you'll see a small 'play' icon. Click on that to bring up the controls tab. You'll see 'Audio' as a tab on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scrub to 2:05 on timeline of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQiveXnUZlM

You can mute audio for the tracks you have and export it.

Also, I'm assuming you're aware that the video editor in PS is only for short DSLR clips, not for long video files. You may experience glitches if you try to work with a large/ long file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sudarshan, but it doesn't seem to work for me. When I right click onto the video I get a box titled "Motion" with a drop down which lists "No Motion", "Pan & Zoom", "Pan", "Zoom", "Rotate" and "Rotate & Zoom".

The movies I've got to do this to range in size from 30 seconds to 5 minutes and are in various formats (mpg, mov, avi).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video layer, you'll see a small 'play' icon. Click on that to bring up the controls tab. You'll see 'Audio' as a tab on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sudarshan. You are absolutely correct. I tried what you said with a different original movie and the menu with the audio information popped straight up on a right click. Started afresh with the original movie and the audio options were there with a right click. So I'm not sure what I did to the original movie yesterday but, like I say, starting again with it has produced the desired results.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to my last post: I open the movie in PhotoShop and the ability to mute the audio is there. I then add my end credits, add a fade between the movie and the credits and, once the fade is there, the ability to mute the audio 'disappears' (may be accessible somewhere) and right clicking on the movie or the little 'play' icon only brings up a 'Motion' box with the earlier mentioned choices.

So I'll make sure to mute the audio prior to adding any motion fades...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you add your transition, right click on the video layer to bring up Video/ Audio Properties Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Ham. I can't see the context menu for sound.

I saw that context menu in the video that Sudarshan mentioned, but it's not in my Photoshop CS6, where - like Ham experienced - i only see a context menu for Motion.

Just as Ham, i do see the sound context menu at the beginning of my work. I even got to clips in a project where one clip offers sound editing, the other doesn't.

Clips where sound can be edited appear as a blue bar. Clips where sound cannot be edit appear as a violet bar. Even if i add an MP3, it appears as a violet bar, so sound cannot be edited while motion editing is offered. I also tried to dampen the sound via the opacity control in the layer panel, but it didn't work.

I already created a complicated project out of 6 clips. I can't restart now to edit audio before anything else.

Is there any way to get audio editing (in the limited way that's part of Photoshop CS6 sometimes) in ALL clips within a project?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, am a bit cleverer now (compared to my previous post). Video clips that are shown as a VIOLET bar cannot be sound-edited immediately, because they are smart-objects. Instead, double click on the clip's thumbnail in the layer palette. Then you can SOUND-EDIT this single smart-object (a file in a file, so to speak); after closing this single object, it is updated as wished in the project.

I also noticed that for adding MP3 files to your CS6 video project, it is not helpful to simply drag MP3s into the movie preview in Photoshop; this again makes the MP3s smart-objects which are more complicated to edit. Instead, use the command Add audio, which embarrassingly i do not see at all times. But if you are able to use it, the audio appears a green bar and gets an audio-editing context menu without opening it as a separate smart-object first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you explain a little more in depth because I am trying to follow and I still can't seem to find the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no idea either, please share if you know how I can get it to show something other than "no motion" when clicking on the triangle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines