Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
rmpdesign-hull
Currently Being Moderated

Image Placeholder

Sep 26, 2012 12:54 PM

Tags: #placeholder

Just upgraded  Dreamweaver Creative Cloud (12.1) via the Adobe Updater and the insert image placeholder has disappear from the Insert menu - as has the whole item Image Objects.

Anyone have an idea where this command now lives?

Thanks

Charles

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 26, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to rmpdesign-hull

In Dreamweaver CS6 it can be found at INSERT > Image Objects > Image Placeholder.

Hope this helps

Jarrod

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to rmpdesign-hull

Are you able to reset your workspace at all?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to rmpdesign-hull

It's not in "Image", fourth from the top, is it?

I don't have CS6, but in CS4 "Image" is it's own item, not another dropdown as it appears in your screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to rmpdesign-hull

I agree. What is in the submenu of IMAGE? In the screenshot you posted it exands further.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to Jarrod_Cooper

Adobe has  definitely tinkered with the Insert menu in the Cloud-only update and removed the Image Objects menu items, without telling anyone what specific changes were going to be made.

http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/09/dreamweaver-update-for-crea tive-cloud-members.html

"In addition, an overhauled Insert Panel provides a more meaningful and organized workflow, with some dialogs such as Tag Editor and TagChooser having been removed – without taking away the functionality."

I'm not sure what the alternative method for adding an image placeholder is now.

This is DW 12.1's Insert menu as it now appears:

dw-121-insert-menu.png

There seems to be "OMG, what have they done to my favourite feature?" moments with each update and upgrade lately.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

"In addition, an overhauled Insert Panel provides a more meaningful and organized workflow, with some dialogs such as Tag Editor and TagChooser having been removed – without taking away the functionality."

Is that Adobe's way of saying "we added more junk to the Insert tab in the Window menu"?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

That's one interpretation :-)

I'm still getting my head around "meaningful and organised workflow".

It's been fine for over a decade and everyone knows where everything is - except Cloud users now apparently - and which version of the Cloud have you got?

Pity the poor DW trainers around the world: "if you've got the traditionally licensed version of CS6, then the command is here. If you're a CS6 Cloud member who has not yet updated, it should still be here. If you're a 12.1 DW CS6 Cloud user then the command is...non-existent."

Training and support is now exponentially more complex for no good reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to John Waller

WHY the HELL is Adobe still  in business? They have tried at every stop to alienate their customer base and we're still here giving these schmucks money. I say burn adobe down, (not really) but that's what they think of us.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to Garth Dideus

Oh I see there is a grading system so that we can't mouth off without being downvoted, even if people agree. I'd be okay if they would just adopt some ******* standards.  <- f r i g g i n (the censored part)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Garth Dideus

To answer the QUESTION part of this post,

Adobe is still in business because they are the best out there. End of Story.

And more to the point, if you feel so strongly about the company and its products, why are here?

I can say from personal experience that the company has been nothing but supportive and proactive in making sure that their customers have everything that they need.

*Yes, I know that I am probably having a conversation with a Troll that has no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand.*

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Jarrod_Cooper

You can live in your little bubble, but the truth  is that other companies know that they answer to their customers, not to themselves. Just because they're not dead yet doesn't mean it isn't coming, apple is headed that way as well. I'll just have to adapt to the stupid.

The sad thing is that Dreamweaver IS my favorite piece of software, don't you think that that is why I am upset? And call me a troll again, you don't even know what I look, that was kind of rude.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Garth Dideus

When the software I depend on - no the actual software company - that is already ridiculously over priced, costs me more money due to lost production time due to changes in the software that AREN'T documented ANYwhere then I do get a little upset.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to Garth Dideus

I consider Adobe, the company, to be a stellar organization. I have used their products for more than a decade to make my living. I actually love working in Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and After Effects, to mention a few. I would never even consider replacing them. But there is a point where drastic changes to these tools, and how they function, can be very insulting to loyal customers like myself.

Traditionally, over the years, Adobe used beta testers to try out new things and to get feedback on critical changes. By the time a new version hit the market, there was already a fair amount of talk about it circulating around the various communities, which allowed us to gauge when or whether to upgrade. Now it looks like Creative Cloud subscribers are the new beta testers, and many of us are not happy about it - at all.

Part of the incentive to subscribe to the Cloud was to get access to all the cool new features as they became available. With the Dreamweaver CS6 12.1 update, it seems like they took away more than they added. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have passed on the Cloud. If this keeps up, I will most likely cancel my subscription and go back to the TRIED & TRUSTED boxed upgrade route.

Your move Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to Web Magi

I think Adobe's strategy in the near future is no secret.

They'll keep adding incentives to the Cloud (which will undoubtedly include deprecating more and more legacy features) and slowly retire the boxed upgrade route and perpetual licenses.

After 6 months on the market, there's already daylight between the Cloud apps and the traditionally licensed apps. That'll grow.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to John Waller

Legacy features are one thing, the removal of the option to use color icons is something else entirely.

If they're going to go gray, the least they could have done was to give Dreamweaver the same user interface options as Photoshop and other apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to Web Magi

Secondly, since the Cloud is the new path forward, and it's all about instant gratification, then why not engage Cloud members and ask their opinion on these types of critical changes? That question was addressed to Adobe, obviously.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to Web Magi

Actually, Adobe did contact me recently. I received an e-mail a couple of weeks ago from Heidi Voltmer, regarding the "Participating in Adobe User Research Study". But she never asked me about recent updates, or new features, or my satisfaction with them. It was more about the Cloud experience itself, how I heard about it, how long I've been a member, what tools I used the most, and what tools, outside of Adobe, that I used. I had to offer up my experience with the Dreamweaver update. She listened, but didn't really engage on that particular topic.

What I would appreciate, is a little notice ahead of time regarding drastic changes to features and functionality. I assume most of us run businesses with this software, so not having a heads up about a particular update, especially one that will remove a considerable amount of functionality, could negatively impact our business. To me, being blindsided with an immidate loss of features and functionality with a simple update is a very serious matter.

Message was edited by: Web Magi

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

Pity the poor DW trainers around the world: "if you've got the traditionally licensed version of CS6, then the command is here. If you're a CS6 Cloud member who has not yet updated, it should still be here. If you're a 12.1 DW CS6 Cloud user then the command is...non-existent."

Training and support is now exponentially more complex for no good reason.

Thanks for your concern, John, but it's always been like that. Each version of Dreamweaver is different. I've had people in Dreamweaver classes who are using a different version at work from the one in the training centre. I've also been hired in the last couple of years to do some training on Dreamweaver MX.

The key point about teaching someone to use Dreamweaver is not teaching them the mechanics of individual features, but teaching the fundamental concepts behind building web pages with HTML and CSS. Once students understand those, they can usually find the relevant tools in Dreamweaver.

I imagine it's more difficult for someone involved in the daily routine of building websites. You get used to finding tools in a particular place, and become frustrated if they're moved or disappear completely. I have the same problem when switching between Windows and Mac. My muscle memory is tuned to the Windows keyboard layout, and I often use the wrong keys on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to Web Magi

Web Magi wrote:

Traditionally, over the years, Adobe used beta testers to try out new things and to get feedback on critical changes.

They still do, but the ultimate decision remains in Adobe's hands.

If you would like to become a beta tester, you can apply through the following form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=prerelease_interes t. There's no guarantee you'll be accepted, but if you are, you'll be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement about the software you're testing.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 5:16 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Thanks David.

You know what's interesting about the beta testing, or "Adobe Prerelease Programs" page? In the drop down for "Which Adobe products’ Prerelease programs would you like to participate in?", there is no option to select Creative Cloud or any variation of the exclusive updates that Cloud members receive. So who, I wonder, is beta testing Cloud updates?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Web Magi

As stated in this press release: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201208/082812A dobeIllustratorCC.html

“As soon as our engineering teams can finalize new features, like the ones were seeing for Illustrator today, we will release special Creative Cloud editions of our desktop software, only available to Adobe Creative Cloud members.”

Question to Adobe: Are you beta testing these "new features"? If so, are the engineers concerned primarily with finding and fixing bugs, or is user experience given adequate consideration as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Web Magi

Creative Cloud is simply a method of delivering individual programs. As far as I know, there isn't a separate prerelease for the Cloud. Just apply for the programs you would like to test.

Adobe recruits a wide range of user skills for beta testing. The fact that you don't like the changes in a product doesn't mean that it hasn't been beta tested. Two possible scenarios come to mind:

• The beta testers also didn't like all the changes, but Adobe decided to press ahead regardless.
    • The beta testers have different priorities from you.

One of the conditions of beta testing is you don't reveal any of the discussions that take place between testers and Adobe, even after the product has been released.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to David_Powers

Yeah, those who know are not talking.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Web Magi

Web Magi wrote:

are the engineers concerned primarily with finding and fixing bugs, or is user experience given adequate consideration as well?

I can't answer on behalf of Adobe, but I do have considerable experience of beta testing for several organizations. They all follow pretty much the same principles. Bugs are found through using software in a range of different situations. A good beta tester will report not only what doesn't work, but also on what can be done to improve the workflow. There's an excellent article on writing good bug reports at http://noverse.com/blog/2012/06/how-to-write-a-good-bug-report/.

This section sums up the purpose of beta testing perfectly:

Bug reports help us developers in a myriad of ways:

• They tell us about issues we are not aware of
    • They help identify new features that we may not have thought of
    • They help us get a feel as to how our customers use our software, so we can make it better

Without bug reports, we have no idea things are going wrong, or acting slowly or not working for you. We need these just as much as you need the software to sing and dance.

If you're not happy with the way Dreamweaver works or with features that have changed, file bug reports/feature requests through the form at http://adobe.ly/DWBug. Reports submitted through that form go directly to the product team. Follow the good bug reporting advice in the article I've pointed to. You can't expect everything to be implemented the way you want, but at least you can try to influence the direction the program takes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to David_Powers

If you're not happy with the way Dreamweaver works or with features that have changed, file bug reports/feature requests through the form at http://adobe.ly/DWBug. Reports submitted through that form go directly to the product team

Been there, done that - many times, but thanks for the advice anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Web Magi

[personal attacks are not allowed in these forums]... No excuse for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to lskadjfklsadjfips

[personal attacks are not allowed in these forums]

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers