• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash v11.4.402.278 - MSI installs "wrong" version!

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We always install Flash Player using the .MSI installer.  It allows us to use tools to remotely, and silently install it directly from a server location without having to copy the file to the remote pc.

We download the latest version from "http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html"

The latest version on this download site is listed as v11.4.402.278 so I downloaded it.

However, when you install the .MSI installer, the resulting version listed in the Windows installed programs is v11.4.402.267.  Notice the difference in version numbers!

When we install Flash Player, we always do a 'version check' before installing.  Since the .MSI installer is installing the "wrong" version, it's not possible to correctly do a version check to verify if the target computer already has the latest version installed.

I don't know that anyone from Adobe will ever read this email, so I doubt they are aware that they have a problem on their download site with the offline .MSI Flash Player install file.  But I thought I'd ask if someone here might know an alternate location in the Adobe infrastructure to download the offline installer for the Flash Player .MSI file that actually installs the correct version number?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The latest Flash Player version is 11.4.402.278.

I downloaded the Flash Player msi (both ActiveX and plug-in) from the distribution page, and it installed the correct version. (11.4.402.278)

However, the Flash Player version written in this page is incorrect. We are updating the page.

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil.  Thank you for the reply.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the version written in this page is incorrect?  Are you referring to the version number that shows up in the list of Windows installed programs?

I'm running Windows 7 on my workstation.  I just now downloaded both the ActiveX and Plugin version of the .MSI installers again.  After I install them both and I go into Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features, it shows v11.4.402.267 is the installed version.  This is the version number that I am referring to that is incorrect.

I did notice if I install the .EXE versions of the ActiveX and Plugin, it "does" show the correct version number of v11.4.402.278 in the list of installed programs in Windows.  However, we only use the .MSI installer, which is what we are having a problem with.

EDIT:  If you hear when these downloads get updated with a fixed version, can you please post that here?  I will check the downloads frequently, but I'm guessing it will take some time before new files are put out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KHemelman,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  It looks like we forgot to update the version string in the .msi.  As Sunil mentioned, the version string that Flash Player reports (11.4.402.278) is correct.  We'll correct the problem with the msi the next time we release an update.

Thanks,

Chris

Edit: Just to be clear, the incorrect version string in the msi is the one reported in the add/remove programs control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chris.  Thank you for the update.  I'll discuss it with our folks and see if they want to download this update or wait until the next one.  Is there a place to find a "revision history" for Flash Player so we can review them to know the changes from one version to the next?  We're primarily interested in security updates between versions and use that as a determination on how important it is for us to update our computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have revision information in our readme's and I also maintain an "Announcement" forum for runtime updates that you can subscribe to here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer/announcements?view=discussions

This release was simply a result of changes to our build process.  There were no code changes made and no need for you to update your client systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

You said "We have revision information in our readme's and I also maintain an "Announcement" forum for runtime updates that you can subscribe to here:".  But the latest announcement on that page is from 4 weeks ago, the 8/21 announcement of Adobe AIR 3.4.  Where is the announcement of Flash 11.4.402.278?

If I check the "Adobe Flash" version online at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ it does show me as having the current version, so it's just an MSI buglet.  A simple registry fix will correct that for our version testing software.

For the plugin (I don't install the ActiveX player) on XP 32-bit,

FlashPlugin11.4.402.278-VersionFix.reg

===========

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8C27E4F1-9CE6-4C32-ADBB-D51CD226649E}]

"DisplayVersion"="11.4.402.278"

==================

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris.  As GeoAppsTucson mentioned, the revision info is a bit behind at the link you posted.  So I have to ask where I might find the readme's you reference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question, but it appears since this is a build difference only with no code changes, release notes would be redundant.  Confusing though, especially when people ask whether or not this update should be installed.  With nothing to reference, we didn't know what to tell them.  I'm having no problems with the prior release so will hold off until a security update (with release notes) is issued and will advise the same with our forum members.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also addressed here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1072691?tstart=0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SMSTechSR.  It looks like you reported the same thing I did.  Because we couldn't identify what was in this update, we've chosen to bypass installing it and not have to deal with the version bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MSI could be fixed by using ORCA or similar if you need to distribute.

However I agree it may be best to bypass this version.

As far as I can see this issue has not been fixed (first reported 19th September) and is still causing confusion for organisations that try to distribute automatically.

I wonder why we have such a delay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As mentioned before, this will be fixed in our next update.  Look for this becoming available in the next week or so.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines