• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not using Cloud. What is the new update: Application Manager for?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updates of my Adobe Design and Web Premium CS6 meant for Windows 7 I purchased, offered me the option to install Adobe Application Manager.

I expected an update of one of the core components with the updater, so I may have missed some text with an explanation of this Application Manager. Now it's installed, but I am at a loss why.

1. What exactly is Adobe Application Manager?

There is no information, not even in the Help section, of this application that explains what it is supposed to do.

I found this link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4773

This link suggests, it is a sort of a one-stop-shop for Creative products updates and installations.

However, if I click the Updates function in one of my CS6 products, it does not start the Adobe Application Manager, but the usual Updates interface.

2. Why does it show all Adobe Creative products that can be run on my machine?

If it is an extension for my Creative Suite updates, then I am not supposed to see products on the list that are not part of my Creative Suite. This contradicts the information in the abovementioned link and suggests it concerns Creative Cloud products.

3. Why does it show "install" next to the list of all Adobe products?

Then again, if it is a general Application Manager, I expect to see differed states for different products:

• Install: when your product you purchased is not yet installed
  • Update: to update the products you have installed.
  • Try: if you want to install I a product you are instereseted in, but have not purchased.

The state "install" makes sense only if this Application Manger is meant for Creative Cloud products.

4. If only for Creative Cloud, why was it delivered to me as an update of my Creative Suite products?

I choose a Creative Suite, so why could it not detect that?

But I don't want to be pushed information through the Updates function about products I do not want.

On the other hand, it is seems to be a core component of the Creative Suite, since I cannot uninstall it using the "Programs and Features" function in the Control Panel of Windows 7.

This application comes with many contradictions, so I hope Adobe can clarify its function.

Cheers,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

D.P.middleton and Garetoo this would be expected behavior if you choose to install from the Adobe Application Manager.  It is trying to install a trial version of the software and this is related to the Creative Cloud.

This is great feedback btw in regards to the confusion this is causing.  We had much more confusion earlier with subscribers of the Creative Cloud only receiving a trigger to update their applications depending on how they choose to open the Adobe Application Manager.  I will go ah

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D.p.middleton the Adobe Application Manager has been available for quite some time.  It not only allows Creative Cloud users to install their applications but also downloads and applies applicable updates.  In addition it is also responsible for the licensing and managing your agreement to the terms and conditions of the EULA.

2. this could be due to you selecting a trial subscription to the Creative Cloud?  If you go to one of the Adobe Creative products and select Help>Updates it will launch the update portion of the Adobe Application Manager which I believe is the portion you are looking for?

#3 I believe this was already mostly covered in the answer to #2.

#4 the Adobe Application Manager also receives periodic updates which affects both perpetual and Creative Cloud subscription users.

I hope this provides you many of the answers you are looking for?  If not please feel free to respond back with any additional inquiries which you have.  Also if you are experiencing any difficulties with the update process please post this as well.  It may not be necessary to have a full understanding of the inner workings of the Adobe Application Manager to help you resolve your difficulties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the much more ignorant (I mean me, a student purchaser of a suite):

If I am not a Creative Cloud subscription user or perpetual user (know naught of which either is), could/should I uninstall this? It shows items I actually already have installed as needing to be installed, and shows some items installed that are. So, what happens if:

1) I click "Install" next to an item already installed?

2) I click install next to an item not installed and never purchased?

3) I install every item on earth it allows me to (I think #2 covers this)?

Thanks!

gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

This is exactly why I posted this message. This application is utterly confusing.

We don't have Creative Cloud and I did not select a trial subscription.

Indeed the question is: what happens if I install any of the applications listed in the Application Manager I already have?

Will it concurrently install Creatiev Cloud with my Creative Suite applications? I don't hope so.

I didn't dare to touch any of its functions untill someone can clarify what it is supposed to do.

It was installed as an update to my Creative Suite on Windows 7 and I cannot uninstall it.

Cheers,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The Application Manager got it installed as an update to Creative Suite CS6. It even has a desktop icon on Windows 7.

When I click the desktop icon of Application Manager my confusion begins.

My questions is not about the inner workings of Adobe Application Manager, but about its purpose.

When I open the Application Manager I see a list of applications I already have installed with a link to install the application.

Form the list I cannot see whether this application is meant for my Creative Suite or for a Creative Cloud. So what happens if I install?

Will it install a Creative Cloud application or wil it reinstall what I already have?

If the list contains Creative Cloud applications, why isn't it indicated? Hence the confusion.

Cheers,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I went ahead and clicked one of the "Install" items and I got a pop-up to confirm this would now begin the installation of my trial... This was an application I do not have ADOBE FLASH BUILDER 4.6. So, I said no. Oddly, the icon now appears in my start-up group. So, I went ahead and clicked that and I get the same pop-up:

Sign In Required

We will now register your trial to your Adobe ID: xxxxxx@xxxxx

Well.. I do not want it, so I cancelled it, you may only do so by clicking the X top right.

Then another pop-up

Quit

Are you sure you want to quit?

So I clicked yes.

The only final wonderment on my part is, what will happen if I click to install an item that is installed already but has the option to install. I actually do not dare do so because I have had some "not fun" issues with installing a suite that included AcrobatX while I had AcrobatX already installed.

This is what I know to date. This plus 10 bucks will get you a large frapachino at stargbucks, or whatever they call a large over there. I think this is whay I went to Pete's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this "experiment".

I was afraid that this would happen.

That is why I asked the question here before I make a mistake and mess up my Adobe application installations.

Cheers,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D.P.middleton and Garetoo this would be expected behavior if you choose to install from the Adobe Application Manager.  It is trying to install a trial version of the software and this is related to the Creative Cloud.

This is great feedback btw in regards to the confusion this is causing.  We had much more confusion earlier with subscribers of the Creative Cloud only receiving a trigger to update their applications depending on how they choose to open the Adobe Application Manager.  I will go ahead pass your feedback on to our Engineering team.

For now if you are not wishing to utilize a trial of the Creative Cloud applications I would recommend using the workflow of going to Help>Updates in the applications to activate the update portion of the Adobe Application Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for passing on the information. I think it will benefit more users.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do the recommended workflow.

Thanks!

gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely they is some way to only have the AAM do an updates check when run rather than this unwanted trial installation dialog that appears.

Otherwise we definately need a documented way to uninstall your offensive advertising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plasticAnimal what advertising are you referring too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This advertising, there is not useful need for me to see this dialog, IF this application would work as expected to check for updates:

AAM_Display-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Application Manager does a lot more than check for updates.  You can find a few more of it's functions discussed previously in this thread.  I have already sent on the feedback on to our Engineering team and they are evaluating other possibilities to allow users to also check for updates by opening the Adobe Application Manager.

As previously discussed please utilize the workflow of going to Help>Updates within your applications if you wish to manually check for updates.  This will launch the Update module of the Adobe Application Manager and check for updates for all of your installed Adobe Creative applications.  Otherwise the Adobe Application Manager by default will automatically check for updates daily and notify you when updates are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I got the auto update of CS6 the application manager came along with it.

Now I have an icon on my desktop that I should ignore since I am not using the Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You had the Adobe Application Manager installed previously with Creative Suite 6.  You are correct however that unless you want to try the Creative Cloud then it would be best to remove the shortcut on your desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines