Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Top Ten Questions About Creative Cloud

Sep 27, 2012 12:18 PM

1. What happens if I have say PS CS5, get Creative Cloud and also PS CS6. Can they exist independently?
    (Apparently not per some discussions)
  2. If I am "offline" (no internet accessibility) is it true that in as little as 7 days all of my Cloud licensed applications will be revoked even if my Monthly subscription is up to date?
  3. Same question as #2, but what if my subscription is Annual?
  4. Is it true that the licensing entity experiences "degradation" and when it does I may not be able to install software or activate my licenses?
  5. If I discontinue Creative Cloud, what will happen to my fully licensed applications (see question 1).
  6. Is it possible to do a "box install" and license through Creative Cloud (assuming a recent version of software?)  If so, which box installs are currently supported?  (Why would I do this? Because recent versions are available AND it saves me a heap of downloading).
  7. Where is the list of flaws in Adobe Software kept?  And specifically Creative Cloud?
  8. If an updated version of a Cloud product is released will I be required to update my installed copy?  Can I install and use more than one version of the same software?
  9. Is it true that trying to use Creative Cloud with a previously installed Trial Version may break my licensed copy?
  10. Is there a "throat to choke" when things go wrong - or is all support web based only?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 27, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Have you read through the FAQ?

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Many of these questions are addressed there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

1. What happens if I have say PS CS5, get Creative Cloud and also PS CS6. Can they exist independently?

Yes they can co-exist. As you point out some customers have had problems. We do work with those customers to resolve the problems.

2. If I am "offline" (no internet accessibility) is it true that in as little as 7 days all of my Cloud licensed applications will be revoked even if my Monthly subscription is up to date?

Per the Creative Cloud FAQ here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html under General information the answer to question Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications? the anwer provided is: "Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check." The license status check has a 7 day grace period. So you just need to check in once every 30 days.

3. Same question as #2, but what if my subscription is Annual?

The same answer as above. You still need to check in once every 30 days.

4. Is it true that the licensing entity experiences "degradation" and when it does I may not be able to install software or activate my licenses?

I am not sure where you picked up the "degradation" word quote from but this is the language used when the site is experiencing an issue affecting many customers but is not completly unavailable. If the site goes down or has a degradation of service we work very hard to bring it back up as soon as possible. But yes this could impact your ability to install software or activate your license.

5. If I discontinue Creative Cloud, what will happen to my fully licensed applications (see question 1).

Discontinuing your subscription to the Creative Cloud will not impact any perpetual licenses (using a serial number) that you have installed.

6. Is it possible to do a "box install" and license through Creative Cloud (assuming a recent version of software?)  If so, which box installs are currently supported? (Why would I do this? Because recent versions are available AND it saves me a heap of downloading).

Yes. The known issue you may run into is that the Adobe Application Manager will still show Install next to a program you installed from a DVD or electronic-software-download.

7. Where is the list of flaws in Adobe Software kept?  And specifically Creative Cloud?

There is no list of flaws kept anywhere. If a customer reports an issue that is a bug we investigate and then fix the issue. If the issue is lower priority it may take some time to fix it. And yes I can understand where different people can see an issue as having a different priority. Employees are also testing the software and services through automated and manual processes, and fixing issues as they are found.

8. If an updated version of a Cloud product is released will I be required to update my installed copy?  Can I install and use more than one version of the same software?

You will not be able to install multiple versions of the software using the Creative Cloud subscription, but can have older versions installed that use a perpetual license. Again in the Creative Cloud FAQ under Product updates the question When an upgrade to a desktop application becomes available in Creative Cloud, am I required to install it? says "No. You are not required to install any new version of the desktop software available in your membership. You also have flexibility on when you install an upgrade, if you choose to do so. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released."

9. Is it true that trying to use Creative Cloud with a previously installed Trial Version may break my licensed copy?

You should uninstall previous beta builds, this would be true of those who tried Muse and Photoshop betas. If you switch from the Free 30-day Trial to a Paid Subscription then no uninstall is necessary. Just sign in with your Adobe ID and your subscription will work.

10. Is there a "throat to choke" when things go wrong - or is all support web based only?

Per the Creative Cloud FAQ under the section Service and support the question Are service and support included with my membership? says "You get the same service and support with your membership that you would get under the regular purchasing model for the same product." which provides a link to http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/. In addition you can post to these forums and also email employees when they provide an email. Anyone in the forums can email me at kenrice@adobe.com and I will help answer a question or resolve a problem. I encourage people to post in the forums first so that everyone benefits from seeing the question and answer posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

One thing I would encourage for people who want to talk with Adobe employees and other Adobe product users is to come to a user group meeting. There is more information here http://groups.adobe.com/.

I regularly show up at the InDesign Users Group (IDUG) in Seattle which is held at the Adobe site in Seattle every month. Their web site is here http://www.indesignusergroup.com/chapters/seattle/.

In person conversations are really nice to have. I understand that customers have problems and get frustrated. At times I also see behavior in the forums would not happen if two people were speaking together (and not I am not saying that is happening here in this post). I know that it is not realistic to expect everyone to be able to attend a User Group meeting, but for those that can I encourage it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

And while a list of unfixed bugs may not be available I realize now that some of the products do include a list of the fixes in release notes. I just had AAM pop-up with an update and Audition has fixes with a link provided to here http://www.adobe.com/go/audition_502_readme.

I will work to find similar lists for the other products.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

I did not take your tone as terse, but having a written conversation can be difficult. And if someone is upset, frustrated, confused, or just has a question - and on top of that had paid Adobe money for a product, is paying for a service, or is considering a purchase - they should post like you are doing.

I do not know the answers to all of your questions. I will reach out to some employees and post back soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Here are the answers I received. Still waiting for an answer to #8.

Following is Clarification on the various questions/scenarios specified by user [in bold]

1. I don't use any Cloud Licensed products for 21 days. But the day I do try to use something falls 8 days after the grace period would have started - ie. the grace period has already elapsed.

2. I use the cloud licensed products everyday - but the "mandatory check" comes up the day after I leave on a 21 day expedition where I will have NO internet access.

3. I am going on a customer's site tomorrow. I'll be presenting things from my laptop but tomorrow is when it's going to get in my face to tell me it needs to check the internet.  (And how often is it going to pop up that message, by the way?)

As per current implementation during period of checking for license refresh, internet must be available during at least one launch. It will not be able to revert to trial if license internet access is not available. There is no way to disable the internet not available dialog.

4. My credit card is compromised and reissued (has happened TWICE in the last two years), and wouldn't you know it, my monthly license is charged to the now cancelled card. The monthly fee is charged and declined. My license is now expired. How much grace do I get now?

5 days is the subscription license renewal grace. But on 33rd day user will get subscription expired message and there will be link to renew it.

5. I paid for a 3 month license of the Cloud so that I can get a heap of applications before I go off grid for two months. From the prior discussion its clear that it doesn't matter how much in advance the fee is prepaid (and perhaps CAN'T be prepaid). If the internet is inaccessible my applications are going dead in at most 30+7 days or in as few as 8 days.

Yes the user must be online at least once between 23rd to 30+5th day.

(1B). 90% of the time I do all my work on my desktop machine.  But once in a while I hit the road with my laptop where I have installed second copies of some Cloud products (this is a variation on my first scenario 1 - a very likely one).

For license refresh all machines must be online at least once between 23rd to 30+5th day.

6 . When I start my Adobe Cloud licensed product in the field, the AAM* dies horribly (as has been reported by others). With no internet access, what will happen?

Not aware of this issue can you please point to more information about this.

7. On windows 7: I log in as a different USER to use the software I've installed under a different user account.  What happens?

NOTE: This is quite likely since I have an administrative and non-administrative user profile because I try to NOT be an administrator most of the time.

Subscription licensing is per Adobe ID and all machine users will be able to use the applications.

8. I have installed some (or all) of the Adobe software on my large external portable drive (or USB drive). What happens? **
    NOTE: This is exactly the scenario where Photoshop 3 blew up my drive in the past.  I never figured out how, but the update/reinstall ended up deactivating the partition that had all my DATA on it and scared the pee out of me when I saw an EMPTY drive.

<name removed>, please provide input if this scenario is handled in updater.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

You need to launch an application on each computer you use the subscription on. Same for Mac and Win.

Authenticating one application will authenticate all.

Second year and all future pricing is an unknown. This is the same as it has been for the perpetual license (ie serial number) purchase or upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

I am not trying to make untrue statements. I meant to say that the future price is unknown for purchasing or upgrading to CS7 when it comes (and CS8, etc.).

Many customers love the subscription model. If they have never purchased a perpetual license for any CS product than they are saying this is a good deal. Also customers who owns an individual CS product and are now able to subscribe to the Master Collection (plus more products and services) are saying this is a good deal.

But we still offer the perpetual license for those who do not want a subscription.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Creative Cloud's licensing system  *cannot* be trusted. Believe me, your apps could go dead at any time. I was using mine just fine yesterday, and this morning it said my subscription had "expired" even though I was just billed two days ago (and the charge went through, I checked with the bank). Tech support said to uninstall and reinstall. That did nothing but reset everything to a trial version, which won't work because I already used the trial version on my machine in the past. I was told the issue would be escalated and that I'd hear from someone in 2-3 days. Basically, I have lost a full week of productive work, and spent more than 8 hours (including hold times) trying to get the product I paid for to actually continue working on my machine.

As tempting as Creative Cloud sounds, if you are doing mission critical applications, steer clear of it. Fortunately, I had an old DVD of CS4 I was able to get up and running so I can at least do *some* work. I'm actually thinking of just sticking with this and cancelling Creative Cloud because I don't think I'll ever be able to trust it again, if Adobe can even get it working for me (which I strongly have my doubts--their support doesn't seem to be the best and brightest).

This paranoid fear of software piracy is making it so that legitimate users are being penalized, while the pirates are sitting there laughing at us. If I were unscrupulous, I'd use a cracked version and be working just fine right now. Instead, I'm trying to do the right thing, and being punished by Adobe's horrible licensing implementation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to John_R_SF

^ this guy speaks the truth. Its not worth it if you need it to work all the time. I lost out on a weekend of work because nothing will open. Good luck with customer service, call wait time was just under 2 hours and online chat just tells me to call support.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to out-of-order

I apologize for the problems. We have now identified the root cause for the expired subscription message and are fixing it. Expect to have the sign in working by US West Coast morning hours on Tuesday, 27th.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to out-of-order

Interesting posts. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic, as I'm being forced to upgrade my 3 CS4 apps - Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, OR get the perpetual license by month end. I hate both options. In the past, I only upgraded every 2-3 years. Adobe will now suck a lot more money out of their consumers with these limited choices. I expect there are many casual users who don't understand all the ramifications yet. Like me!

IF I subscribe to and cancel Creative Cloud in 1 or 2 years for whatever reason, what will I have left to use - my original CS4 or the latest version on Creative Cloud such as CS6/7?

Seems to me this is a various precarious game... What will the price be in two years?

Will there be software glitches?

Will there by payment glitches?

Renewal glitches?

If my service shuts down for any reason, how will my immediate work be affected and restricted?

Most of these discussions are on Adobe blogs and forums. Is there a best independent designer forum out there?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to kiski

kiski wrote:

IF I subscribe to and cancel Creative Cloud in 1 or 2 years for whatever reason, what will I have left to use - my original CS4 or the latest version on Creative Cloud such as CS6/7?

There seems to be widespread confusion on this point.

Your original CS4 is a perpetual license. You've already paid for it. It's yours to keep forever (hence "perpetual license"). It will continue working indefinitely provided you have the hardware to run it.

The Cloud is a rental model only. While you're an active member of the Cloud (paying your subscription fee every month), you will have access to all software and services available via the Cloud.

When you stop paying the monthly fee (temporarily suspend or permanently cancel your membership), you lose all access to the software but you keep whatever files you created with it and stored locally.

So, if you're on CS9 when you stop the Cloud, you will lose CS9 (and all other earlier Cloud versions) but you'll keep CS4 (the perpetual license).

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

"If I decide to stop my membership, will I still be able to use my Creative Suite software and the other components of Creative Cloud?

When you cancel a month-to-month or annual membership purchased directly from Adobe or let a 3- or 12-month prepaid membership purchased from a retailer expire, you will no longer have access to the Creative Suite applications, other desktop software, and services that are components of Creative Cloud. However, if you saved your work to your computer, you will continue to have access to those files. You will also have access to the same benefits as a free Creative Cloud member, which include 2GB of storage space (reduced from 20GB), the ability to sync and store your files, access to a free 30-day trial of the desktop software that has not already been installed and provisioned as part of your paid membership, and access to the free level of services included with Creative Cloud."

Some people have requested a more lenient exit policy from the Cloud, rather than the current all-or-nothing. e.g. one suggestion is to pay a residual exit fee and keep whichever version you're on when you exit the Cloud. Then perhaps a 3-month or 6-month waiting period before you can re-join the Cloud again? (to prevent abuse of the policy). Don't know if Adobe is considering those suggestions or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to John Waller

Thanks for that explanation, John. That makes sense.

There are far too many unknowns to be locked into a subscription. I expect that conditions and terms will change as Adobe learns how it will work. There will be MANY low end users who don't understand the details. I only learned about this a few days ago and have been trying to understand all the options. There are far too many unknowns to commit to a never ending subscription.

I understand what Adobe is trying to do from their perspective. From mine, it's having options... Lease or Buy is a fair choice. BUT if I BUY, why do I have to now upgrade my vehicle (app) yearly? That has me looking for alternatives. (Photoline may be a much less expensive alternative for Photoshop. )

C'mon Adobe. Your inflexibility is turning people off!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to kiski

So, I upgraded all 3 Adobe CS6 apps before December 31st. Cost me $750. :-(

Before I installed I thought I would see if there are any issues I should be aware of and found this discussion...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4993035#4993035

I read over 340 comments from unhappy Adobe users. They've had an issue with Photoshop CS6 for over a month and it's not fixed yet!! Unbelievable! So much for the idea of being a loyal, perpetual Creative Cloud customer.

All very frustrating when you depend on this for your income. There has to be a better non-Adobe way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to kiski

@kiski - I believe you are referring to the issue of Photoshop launching as a trial for a paid subscriber to the Creative Cloud. This issue has been fixed with the 13.1.2 update per http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/trial-screen-displays-you-open.htm l.

The fix came on Tuesday one day after your post.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

If I need to re-install or migrate the OS from/on my PC, is there any way I can backup the app that I have downloaded from creative cloud beforehand? Or do I have download again and re-install that way?

What type of issues would I likely encounter?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Hi Ken,

Please can you explain what would happen in the following hypothetical scenarios if I subscribe to the paid Creative Cloud service?

1.  I'm away for 2 months without my computer, I come back and start up Photoshop.  Presumably my software will no longer work, so what happens then? is it just a simple matter of clicking a button to make it 'check again' or would I need to phone Adobe? Will Apple refund me 50% of that month's cost as they know I will not have been able to use the software?

2.  If my software is no longer working, will all my cloud stored files still be safe providing I've kept paying? I can't see any reason why Adobe would suspend the account if I've kept paying, surely it's only neccessary to revoke access to the software.

I can understand why it needs to check in every 30 days but it needs to be made so that it is very easy to unblock or reactivate the software if the person was unable to be online.  Having to telephone Adobe or open a support ticket should not be nesseccary.

Thanks, Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to poorl678

@ Paul (poorl678) - There are both annual and month-to-month plans. With an annual plan you pay every month whether or not you use the subscription. Same with a month-to-month plan except that you can choose to cancel at the end of a month, not pay for Creative Cloud for 2 months per your example, and then start up again. The advantage of the annual plan is that it is less expensive, but if you will not be using the service for months at a time then month-to-month may have a lower overall cost. The Creative Cloud Plans page is here https://creative.adobe.com/plans.

You can choose to store your files with the Creative Cloud but it is not required. A paid Individual subscription user receives 20 GB of storage, while a free/trial user only receives 2 GB. If you downgrade from paid to free then you have a grace period to remove any files in excess of 2 GB storage.

Finally the activation is usually silent. You just launch a program like Photoshop and you subscription is verified without any needed action on your part. At times you may need to sign in again with your Adobe ID.

For more details on the the answers to your questions there is the Creative Cloud FAQ at http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply, please can you comment more specifically on the 2 scenarios that I described? I'll clearify them a bit better.

1. Say I have the annual subscription as month to month is very expensive in the UK.  Imagine I'm away for 2 months without my computer so I haven't been able to check in, I come back and start up Photoshop.  What happens?

2. In the same scenario as above, imagine I had 10GB of files stored in the cloud, what will have happened to them?

I've read that there is an option in the help menu of each app to 'deactivate' it, if I deactivated it before going on a trip would that stop it trying to do the check in? if so that would solve the problems.

Thanks, Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to poorl678

@ Paul (poorl678) -

1: Photoshop just launches as it already did before. You will notice no difference at all.

2: The files will still be there.

To clarify - if you sign up for an annual subscription then you will pay for the 2 months you are away. The annual subscription lasts for one year.

You are allowed two activations - so you can activate on up to two computers. Chosing to deactivate does not mean you are not charged for that month.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:49 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Thanks Ken, sorry I think I'm not explaining my self clearly enough on my first question

The Adobe apps that are installed under Creative Cloud subscription need to checkin once every 30 days in order to check that the subscription is still valid.  If the user is not online there is a 7 day grace period before the apps are blocked.

I know this from reading the Adobe pages and understand it fine, what I am unsure about is what happens after the 7 day grace period, if the apps are blocked then how would I go about unblocking them?

My other point relates to the above.  If I was going travelling for 2 months without my computer should I deactivate my apps in order to stop them becoming blocked or will it not be neccessary? will I have any problems starting the apps up again after not using them for 2 months?

Thanks again, I hope I've been clear.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to Ken G. Rice

Hi Ken,

Could you also please look at my question above, number 25, and advise?

I couldn't find any information on backing and/or reinstalling up on adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 9:54 PM   in reply to poorl678

Paul,

I understand your question, and I assure you that there shouldn't be any problems launching the Creative Cloud applications after a 2 month absence. Your credit card is charged every month when you sign up for an annual subscription, the applications will silently activate every 30 days, or whenever the next launch occurs. When you launch the apps after 2 month, that will be the time they will contact the activation server, make sure you have an Internet connection then.

Sometimes the apps lose the activation information, in which case they return to a trial state and prompt you to sign in again with your Adobe ID. We have identified the root causes for this issue and applied fixes. Such occurances shouldn't happen if the latest product updates have been installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 11:10 PM   in reply to Kirsten Harris

Thanks Kirsten!

It sounds good but I think the grace period should be 30 days instead of 7 (I don't see why Adobe doesn't just make it revert to trial mode).

Because in some places it can be quite dificult to find an internet connection.

I also think after renting the software for a year or more, if you decide to stop they should offer a reduced price to buy the standalone software.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to How about this for a name

@How about this for a name - You can download the installer for the product page. For example to get the Photoshop installer go to the Apps page at https://creative.adobe.com/apps and click on the Learn More link for Photoshop. On the right of the Photoshop page there is a Try link. Click on this and you can dowload the installer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 12:43 AM   in reply to NightSkyGuy

Why cant adobe make the license check visible so we know when it happens so that we can keep track of when the next one will be?   I dont understand this.  Does it check randomly or is it on the same day every 30 days?   How are we supposed to know when this will happen so we dont get caught out?   Seems very odd. What do adobe mean by license will be revoked?   DOes this mean i will no longer be able to use my subscription??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points