Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Typography Verbage

Oct 2, 2012 11:02 AM

Tags: #hand #writing

Typography. I'm not sure if that's the place to be looking I'm trying to list the differences between writing on paper and on a tablet and I think there's a word for when you press harder with a pencil and it make the width of the lettering or font wider. Is there a word for that that you know of?


I am trying to verbalize what writing gives you complete conrtol over in the moment. Some things that I have run across so far are kern and ligature. But I would welcome a list as I am trying to be comprehensive and don't know exactly where to start.





  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 28, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to tlau3



    There are books about such subjects, and you can search for Typography/Calligraphy/etc terms. In some cases you may find different wordings, sometimes covering overlapping/related concepts, to choose between or use together. It may be a good thing to include descriptions rather than just using words that others will have to look up.


    With regard to the pressure, normally a more woolly description is used, something like: extra pressure is applied create the bolder/thicker/broader (parts of) (letter) strokes, and lighter pressure is applied to create the finer/thinner/narrower parts. It is worth mentioning that this may apply to pens, brushes, and (to a lesser extent) pencils (which may break before a notable increase of stroke width), as well as to tablet styluses with pressure sensitivity.

    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points