Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6: Live Endnotes?

Sep 30, 2012 4:51 PM

Tags: #live #indesign #cs6 #notes #endnotes #footnotes

My project is to set up a book design file that will accurately convert to ePub and like formats, including 150 live endnotes. The manuscript was created in MS Word and has 150 endnotes. What is the method I will use to convert these endnotes to live endnotes? Thanks very much for your input and help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to Babington.co

InDesign has no support for live endnotes. The best you can do is add a cross reference.

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2009/03/endnotes_in_indesign_cs4.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Babington.co

Babington.co wrote:

Thanks but I had already read all that and conversed with Peter K. He thought CS6 might have integrated this rather basic book design task. Amazing if it hasn't.

Unfortunately, CS6 added nothing (nothing) for long documents. You do get a Content Collector, though. Yippee.

Maybe it will make it into CS7 -- ask on the Feature Request Form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Babington.co

I, too, appreciate Peter Kahrel's many valuable contributions to book production.  Still, I am wary of using InDesign's Book feature (i.e., sets of InDesign files) with cross-references between files.  I'd love to be proved wrong, but let me cite another of the forum contributors I most respect, Harbs, who wrote a few months ago:

My opinion has been for quite some time that Books and Cross Refs don't mix. If you need cross refs make the whole Book a single document. I've seen way too much trouble with cross doc cross refs...

David

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to Babington.co

My experience (as of today) is that Peter Kahrel's script works great... I ran it on a document with about 30 footnotes and it gave me exactly what I wanted. However, I just tried (like, four times) to run it on the same document after I added the rest of the content which included a total of 94 footnotes. No way.... it just hangs, and I have to force-quit InDesign. I tried it again on a shorter version - worked great. Longer version - no way.

Anyone else have a similar experience with this script? Any suggestions, or know of an alternative solution out there?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points