Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash CS6 code hinting issue

New Here ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Yesterday I downloaded Flash CS6 to try it out. Everything went smooth till I fired it up and tried to write some code into the Actions panel.

The code hinting doesn't seem to work for me at all. I cannot call it up manually with keyboard and the automatic is not working either. I tried with different cache sizes, turn it off and on again but nada. It simply did and does nothing.

Then I tried the "classic approach" (as - THANK YOU ADOBE! - you have this code hinting problem since which version!?) - to delete the CodeModel folder which now seemed to move to "Common" folder; as far as I remember it used to be in the "<install_language>" folder. Not quite sure about that. After deleting this folder and starting Flash again it was not recreated. However, I was able to get some limited code hinting, I wrote this code:

var s:Sprite = new Sprite(); //got code hints after typing ":" and "new"

s.graphics.lineTo(100, 100); //got code hints after typing "s." but NO code hints for ".graphics", so I had to type lineTo(100, 100) manually

What the hell.

Also, I cannot see import statements anymore but the code above worked. Is this normal? How do I unable the imports? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Anybody can advice what to do with the code hinting?

Thanks!

F.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

After ensuring that the "Code Hints" checkbox in the Actionscript section of the Flash Preferences dialog is turned on , please try resetting your code-hint cache as follows:

1. Quit Flash

2. Delete your code-hint cache folder

Win XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS6\<language>\Configuration\CodeModel

Win Vista/Win7:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS6\<language>\Configuration\CodeModel

Mac:

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS6/<language>/Configuration/CodeModel

3. Re-start Flash and try again.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this didn't help. After deleting codemodel and (re)starting Flash, the same thing is occuring.

CodeModel is re-created but I see no code hints.

Ps: Now after playing with it for a while, I saw the following exclamation mark for a moment. However, still no code hints and no more exclamation mark either.

cs6.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

If code hinting is not working , it can be due to many files that are opened. Code hinting only works on an AS file when it is properly associated with an opened AS3 Flash file.

Also please try out the following steps to increase the code hint cache size and then clearing the Code Hint cache as mentioned in above post.

Windows:

1. Open Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe > Flash 12 > Settings
  2. Right+click and choose: ‘New… > DWORD Value’
  3. Rename the key: Project File Cap
  4. Select the key and choose: ‘Modify’
  5. Edit the value (put say: 2000)
  6. Click OK and restart Flash

Mac:

1. Open /Users//Library/Preferences/Flash CS6 Preferences in Text Edit
  2. Under the section add the following: 2000
  3. Save the file and restart Flash

Let me know if this helps in any way.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I noticed Flash CS6 does not give code hints (testing on timeline) when you have a new SDK targeted.

For example, I downloaded Air 3.3 and  added it with the new manage Air SDK option.

If I target that SDK I get no code hints

If I go back to targeting 3.2 SDK I get code hints again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I was able to repro the issue when I copied the AIR 3.3 SDK in the <Adobe Flash installed directory> in the same place where AIR 3.2 SDK is present. Code hinting stopped working for AIR 3.3. We are investigating this issue.

You can try this workaround for now:

1. Copy the AIR 3.3 SDK to some other location say "Desktop".

2. Go to Help->Manage AIR SDK and delete the AIR 3.3 SDK added.

3. Click on "+" again in the Manage AIR SDK dialog and add the AIR 3.3 SDK from the new location i.e where its copied in step 1 eg : c:\Users\<sudeshna>\Desktop\AIR 3.3

2. Quit Flash and Relaunch.

3. Create a new AIR project and set the Target in Publish settings as AIR 3.3.0.3560 for Desktop and then try writing code in the actions panel.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this as well. My 3.3 SDK is in a separate directory from 3.2 and am seeing no code hinting at all. However, if I set my target to 3.2, I get code hints. If I use 3.3, none. 3.2 is in the main directory and 3.3 is in its own separate location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

You can try doing the following steps to fix the code hinting problem.

1. Make sure Flash is closed and then browse to your Flash install folder. On Windows you can find it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS6\, on Mac you can find it in Applications/Adobe Flash CS6/.

2. Change the name of the AIR3.2 folder to something like AIR3.2_Old.

3. Copy the new AIR 3.3 SDK folder there.

4. Rename the unzipped folder AIR3.3 to AIR 3.2 and move it into your Flash CS6 directory.

5. Browse inside the new AIR3.2 folder to AIR3.2/frameworks/libs/air/ and copy the airglobal.swc file.

6. Browse to Adobe Flash CS6/Common/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/AIR3.2/ and paste the airglobal.swc to overwrite the existing one.

Then restart Flash and try.

Let me know if this solves the problem.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you suggested. Now it doesn't work whichever SDK I target. If I just have the AS3 file open without the FLA open, it works fine. If I open the related FLA file, it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say none of the suggestions here in the forum worked for me. Then after a week it magically began to work (I didn't change anything at all).

Now it works randomly - after starting up my Mac it works. However if I quit Flash, I am doing something different, browsing, closing windows, put my macbook to sleep, etc... start up Flash again and it is NOT working. I have to restart my macbook. Very very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sick and tired with flash cs6 code hinting.

I created a fla document, wrote some code...do something...

Code hint worked ok...

I do more...create some movieclip...write more code...

Code hint...die!

Omg! I deleted all movieclip, deleted all code, deleted all things in library...

and tried to write:

import[space]

Still...nothing? Code hint seems to never show up with this document anymore...

Then, I created a new fla document.

Code hint worked ok!

I do something...

Code hint...die...

...die...forever...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the code hint cache gives me probelms when ever I target a non official air sdk. By non official I mean using the inbuilt Manage Air SDK to target a beta release of air (eg: Air 3.5). All my other air runtimes have no issue with code hinting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, code hint cache gives me problems with all air sdk versions: 3.2, 3.3, 3.4

I have not tested with air 3.5 yet. But I think the same issue will happen.

Maybe somethings wrong when Flash Pro saves fla documents. I think the problem isn't SDK, while Flash Builder and other products have found no problem with using AIR SDK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with my mac.  It just all of a sudden started happening.  Is this something Adobe is looking into?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Could you please confirm if you have installed Flash Professional CS6 Update 2 and you still see the issue persist?

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, we are checking on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies !

But, after installed the update, the issue still happen with me (Both laptop & desktop)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a REAL bug now, since so many people are having the same

issue. Sometimes deleting the CodeModel folder under configuration brings

it back temporarily, but it does still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are unable to reproduce this bug at Adobe, and we need your help for the same. Could you please file a report of your issue at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&promoid=EWQQL?

In your report, could you please provide a link to your FLAs and Crash logs? You could upload it to a free file sharing site.

Thanks and regards,

Suhas Yogin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a file that contains the issue:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gx0imljvcrbz7n1

Thanks !

(additional, there's no crash log)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this breaks mine,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suhas, did we ever get an answer to the code hinting issue?  I've been struggling with it for a while now.  I recently discovered that if I have 400+ libraries, then code hinting turns off.  This is despite the fact that I have the code hinting chache size set to 5000 files.  Am I missing something?  What I'm working on requires quite a few libraries and it's a pain to constantly need to reorganize the files to stay below a certain threshold.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2012 Dec 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happy new year everybody !

hope that code hinting will comeback in new year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just going to pile on here and say Hey..um...just noticed, no code hinting here either.  Tried a couple of the suggested fixes, no luck.  Really, Adobe, please just fix this the right way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines