• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Top Ten Questions About Creative Cloud

Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What happens if I have say PS CS5, get Creative Cloud and also PS CS6. Can they exist independently?
    (Apparently not per some discussions)
  2. If I am "offline" (no internet accessibility) is it true that in as little as 7 days all of my Cloud licensed applications will be revoked even if my Monthly subscription is up to date?
  3. Same question as #2, but what if my subscription is Annual?
  4. Is it true that the licensing entity experiences "degradation" and when it does I may not be able to install software or activate my licenses?
  5. If I discontinue Creative Cloud, what will happen to my fully licensed applications (see question 1).
  6. Is it possible to do a "box install" and license through Creative Cloud (assuming a recent version of software?)  If so, which box installs are currently supported?  (Why would I do this? Because recent versions are available AND it saves me a heap of downloading).
  7. Where is the list of flaws in Adobe Software kept?  And specifically Creative Cloud?
  8. If an updated version of a Cloud product is released will I be required to update my installed copy?  Can I install and use more than one version of the same software?
  9. Is it true that trying to use Creative Cloud with a previously installed Trial Version may break my licensed copy?
  10. Is there a "throat to choke" when things go wrong - or is all support web based only?
TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

1. What happens if I have say PS CS5, get Creative Cloud and also PS CS6. Can they exist independently?

Yes they can co-exist. As you point out some customers have had problems. We do work with those customers to resolve the problems.

2. If I am "offline" (no internet accessibility) is it true that in as little as 7 days all of my Cloud licensed applications will be revoked even if my Monthly subscription is up to date?

Per the Creative Cloud FAQ here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read through the FAQ?

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Many of these questions are addressed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FAQ does seem to answer some questions, however not all, and not accurately based on the reality of the experiences people are reporting.

The FAQ says that the answer to question 1 is yes. However there has been at least one serious flaw reported where any use of a licensed version of an application was reseting the cloud version to "trial".  It's not clear from the answers that the AAM "update" resolved the problem for everyone.

The FAQ does NOT answser questions 2 or 3.

"Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. "

Based on reported issues, it sure sounds to me like whether there is a monthly or annual subscription the software will go DEAD when the following are true:

1. The license manager feels it must check for a license.

2. The internet is inaccessible for the following 7 days.

At least one user reported that he was internet connected one day and the following day he was told "your grace period expires in 5 days".  Moreover, the FAQ also makes it clear that any installed, but not activated products revert to a "trial" license if Cloud is stopped. Presumably installed and activated products go DEAD - again based on reports of users.

The FAQ does not answer question 8. It says "you have up to one year to install [a new version]".  Not at all clear what that means. What happens after one year?

I'll update my original question with the answers I've learned so far, but now I have another worry:  Will "new features and fixes be forced" or will they be at the discretion of the user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmh. Looks like there is no edit link for my original post, so I can't provide the answers I've learned.  So I'm copying.

(Apparently not per some discussions)
    ADOBE says yes they can. Real world experience indicates NOT reliably.
    ADOBE: Not clear. Real world says TRUE.
    ADOBE: Silent.  Presumed: License duration and the frequency/fallout of internet license checks are unrelated.
  4. Is it true that the licensing entity experiences "degradation" and when it does I may not be able to install software or activate my licenses?
    ADOBE: Admits "degradation", has not clarified the scope, nor the plans. No answer on the activate question, but presumably ADOBE licensing system failure means no usuable product.
  5. If I discontinue Creative Cloud, what will happen to my fully licensed applications (see question 1).
    ADOBE: Should be fine.
  6. Is it possible to do a "box install" and license through Creative Cloud (assuming a recent version of software?)  If so, which box installs are currently supported?  (Why would I do this? Because recent versions are available AND it saves me a heap of downloading).
    ADOBE: Box versions are different. Cannot be licensed via Cloud.
  7. Where is the list of flaws in Adobe Software kept?  And specifically Creative Cloud?
    ADOBE: No answer, but No publically visible bug list
  8. If an updated version of a Cloud product is released will I be required to update my installed copy?  Can I install and use more than one version of the same software?
    ADOBE: Unclear from FAQ about required upgrade, apparently there is a window after one year where something is not possible.  As for multiple install, ADOBE says Yes.
  9. Is it true that trying to use Creative Cloud with a previously installed Trial Version may break my licensed copy?
    ADOBE: Strongly recommends "removing trial versions" before installing Cloud.  Presumed answer is YES - using trial version will present a rocky road.
  10. Is there a "throat to choke" when things go wrong - or is all support web based only?
    ADOBE: No answer.  Presumably the phone based support will also support Cloud.

So far, I score ADOBE answers as follows:
3 definitive answers.
4 wrong or missing answers
3 incomplete answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they can co-exist. As you point out some customers have had problems. We do work with those customers to resolve the problems.

Per the Creative Cloud FAQ here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html under General information the answer to question Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications? the anwer provided is: "Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check." The license status check has a 7 day grace period. So you just need to check in once every 30 days.

The same answer as above. You still need to check in once every 30 days.

I am not sure where you picked up the "degradation" word quote from but this is the language used when the site is experiencing an issue affecting many customers but is not completly unavailable. If the site goes down or has a degradation of service we work very hard to bring it back up as soon as possible. But yes this could impact your ability to install software or activate your license.

Discontinuing your subscription to the Creative Cloud will not impact any perpetual licenses (using a serial number) that you have installed.

6. Is it possible to do a "box install" and license through Creative Cloud (assuming a recent version of software?)  If so, which box installs are currently supported? (Why would I do this? Because recent versions are available AND it saves me a heap of downloading).

Yes. The known issue you may run into is that the Adobe Application Manager will still show Install next to a program you installed from a DVD or electronic-software-download.

There is no list of flaws kept anywhere. If a customer reports an issue that is a bug we investigate and then fix the issue. If the issue is lower priority it may take some time to fix it. And yes I can understand where different people can see an issue as having a different priority. Employees are also testing the software and services through automated and manual processes, and fixing issues as they are found.

You will not be able to install multiple versions of the software using the Creative Cloud subscription, but can have older versions installed that use a perpetual license. Again in the Creative Cloud FAQ under Product updates the question When an upgrade to a desktop application becomes available in Creative Cloud, am I required to install it? says "No. You are not required to install any new version of the desktop software available in your membership. You also have flexibility on when you install an upgrade, if you choose to do so. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released."

You should uninstall previous beta builds, this would be true of those who tried Muse and Photoshop betas. If you switch from the Free 30-day Trial to a Paid Subscription then no uninstall is necessary. Just sign in with your Adobe ID and your subscription will work.

Per the Creative Cloud FAQ under the section Service and support the question Are service and support included with my membership? says "You get the same service and support with your membership that you would get under the regular purchasing model for the same product." which provides a link to http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/. In addition you can post to these forums and also email employees when they provide an email. Anyone in the forums can email me at kenrice@adobe.com and I will help answer a question or resolve a problem. I encourage people to post in the forums first so that everyone benefits from seeing the question and answer posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the Creative Cloud FAQ here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html under General information the answer to question Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications? the anwer provided is: "Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check." The license status check has a 7 day grace period. So you just need to check in once every 30 days.

I'd like to point out that since the user has no control over when the sofware checks via the internet, it means that the worst case scenario applies that I described earlier. I leave with my laptop full of Cloud software. I arrive where there is no internet and when I start the software decides AT THAT TIME that it needs the internet. Finding no internet 7 days later (or 5 as some have reported) the software (ALL of the Cloud license software at least) becomes a BRICK. That licensed software does NOT revert to a 30 day trial.  This is what people are reporting.  I'm asking if that is how it is SUPPOSED to work - it appears that what I describe is how it has been DESIGNED to work .  If you had me on your product advisory board, I'd be telling you do NOT do it like that. You're far better off allowing people to "steal" a month of service than crushing paying users because they work for a time unconnected to the net.

Your answer to 6 seems to not jive with the Adobe FAQ.

My question again was:

6. Is it possible to do a "box install" and license through Creative Cloud

I'm probably thinking about this differently than you are. I'm thinking: my friend just got the latest PS6. I want to use his DVDs to install my product and license it through Cloud (not steal my friends license or pirate the software).  The FAQ says the software in the box is DIFFERENT and can't work like that. My rational for using my friend's DVD is that it will take HOURS to download the software over my sluggish connection.

On 7.

There are many companies who release lists of known software bugs. This aids customers to make informed decisions before and after purchase.

You should uninstall previous beta builds

-- This is an important distinction (beta builds vs. trials).  I was asking about trials.  I'll admit my reason for asking is that a CS2 Trial version completely destroyed my CS3 RE-install.  It wasn't a beta version.

Rats. It looks like as soon as someone has responded it's not possible to edit a prior comment/question/response.  I'm going to keep an up-to-date question and answer list on my BLOG since apparently I can't edit it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I would encourage for people who want to talk with Adobe employees and other Adobe product users is to come to a user group meeting. There is more information here http://groups.adobe.com/.

I regularly show up at the InDesign Users Group (IDUG) in Seattle which is held at the Adobe site in Seattle every month. Their web site is here http://www.indesignusergroup.com/chapters/seattle/.

In person conversations are really nice to have. I understand that customers have problems and get frustrated. At times I also see behavior in the forums would not happen if two people were speaking together (and not I am not saying that is happening here in this post). I know that it is not realistic to expect everyone to be able to attend a User Group meeting, but for those that can I encourage it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And while a list of unfixed bugs may not be available I realize now that some of the products do include a list of the fixes in release notes. I just had AAM pop-up with an update and Audition has fixes with a link provided to here http://www.adobe.com/go/audition_502_readme.

I will work to find similar lists for the other products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken, Much appreciate your tone. Sorry if I'm being terse.  I'm asked frequently "Is Creative Cloud Worth It?" and the truth, for me, is I'm scared to try to find out even via a Free Trial.

http://blog.starcircleacademy.com/2012/09/creativecloud/

Why scared? In a nutshell because people are reporting problems with their cloud licensing that are not trivial issues and it reminds me of my severe pain with similar issues over the years.

Here is what I've surmised from all that I've read so far:

1. Users have no control over when the "validator" decides it needs to talk to the activation server.
    Impact: I can't insist it check NOW so I can avoid problems that might arise during the next 21 days when I know I'll be out of internet reach.
  2. When a license reaches 5 days (7 according to the FAQ) past the "check date" it goes DEAD. It doesn't fall back to a 30 day trial.
    Impact: Software (presumably all Cloud licensed software) becomes useless until it can talk to the activation server.  TRUE? NOT TRUE?

Here are the cases I suspect Adobe has not alloted for:

1. I don't use any Cloud Licensed products for 21 days. But the day I do try to use something falls 8 days after the grace period would have started - ie. the grace period has already elapsed.
  2. I use the cloud licensed products everyday - but the "mandatory check" comes up the day after I leave on a 21 day expedition where I will have NO internet access.
  3. I am going on a customer's site tomorrow. I'll be presenting things from my laptop but tomorrow is when it's going to get in my face to tell me it needs to check the internet.  (And how often is it going to pop up that message, by the way?)
  4. My credit card is compromised and reissued (has happened TWICE in the last two years), and wouldn't you know it, my monthly license is charged to the now cancelled card. The monthly fee is charged and declined. My license is now expired. How much grace do I get now?
  5. I paid for a 3 month license of the Cloud so that I can get a heap of applications before I go off grid for two months. From the prior discussion its clear that it doesn't matter how much in advance the fee is prepaid (and perhaps CAN'T be prepaid). If the internet is inaccessible my applications are going dead in at most 30+7 days or in as few as 8 days.

To me the obvious best case answer is: the customer automatically gets a 30 day grace period beyond the number of days that were prepaid at the time of (the most recent) activation & the customer automatically gets one extra month even if billing fails.

As I understand the current system it's designed to prevent Adobe from being shorted either $29 or $50 dollars.  That seems like an extremely low $ loss to Adobe vs the huge inconvenience to the customer of having unusable software.

BTW. I live in San Jose. Going to the Adobe meetings is quite the hassle.

I haven't talked about the other huge downsides of the "monthly license" here, but did address some of them in my blog.  I'll gladly correct anything in the BLOG that is inaccurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not take your tone as terse, but having a written conversation can be difficult. And if someone is upset, frustrated, confused, or just has a question - and on top of that had paid Adobe money for a product, is paying for a service, or is considering a purchase - they should post like you are doing.

I do not know the answers to all of your questions. I will reach out to some employees and post back soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking forward to the answers, Ken. Thank you.

While you're at it, here are a few more scenarios:

• (1B) 90% of the time I do all my work on my desktop machine.  But once in a while I hit the road with my laptop where I have installed second copies of some Cloud products (this is a variation on my first scenario 1 - a very likely one).
  • 6 - When I start my Adobe Cloud licensed product in the field, the AAM* dies horribly (as has been reported by others). With no internet access, what will happen?
  • 7 - On windows 7: I log in as a different USER to use the software I've installed under a different user account.  What happens?
    NOTE: This is quite likely since I have an administrative and non-administrative user profile because I try to NOT be an administrator most of the time.
  • 8 - I have installed some (or all) of the Adobe software on my large external portable drive (or USB drive). What happens? **
    NOTE: This is exactly the scenario where Photoshop 3 blew up my drive in the past.  I never figured out how, but the update/reinstall ended up deactivating the partition that had all my DATA on it and scared the pee out of me when I saw an EMPTY drive.

* Note: I'm assuming AAM is the "validator" component. if it's really called something else, substitute the appropriate correct terminology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the answers I received. Still waiting for an answer to #8.

Following is Clarification on the various questions/scenarios specified by user [in bold]

1. I don't use any Cloud Licensed products for 21 days. But the day I do try to use something falls 8 days after the grace period would have started - ie. the grace period has already elapsed.

2. I use the cloud licensed products everyday - but the "mandatory check" comes up the day after I leave on a 21 day expedition where I will have NO internet access.

3. I am going on a customer's site tomorrow. I'll be presenting things from my laptop but tomorrow is when it's going to get in my face to tell me it needs to check the internet.  (And how often is it going to pop up that message, by the way?)

As per current implementation during period of checking for license refresh, internet must be available during at least one launch. It will not be able to revert to trial if license internet access is not available. There is no way to disable the internet not available dialog.

4. My credit card is compromised and reissued (has happened TWICE in the last two years), and wouldn't you know it, my monthly license is charged to the now cancelled card. The monthly fee is charged and declined. My license is now expired. How much grace do I get now?

5 days is the subscription license renewal grace. But on 33rd day user will get subscription expired message and there will be link to renew it.

5. I paid for a 3 month license of the Cloud so that I can get a heap of applications before I go off grid for two months. From the prior discussion its clear that it doesn't matter how much in advance the fee is prepaid (and perhaps CAN'T be prepaid). If the internet is inaccessible my applications are going dead in at most 30+7 days or in as few as 8 days.

Yes the user must be online at least once between 23rd to 30+5th day.

(1B). 90% of the time I do all my work on my desktop machine.  But once in a while I hit the road with my laptop where I have installed second copies of some Cloud products (this is a variation on my first scenario 1 - a very likely one).

For license refresh all machines must be online at least once between 23rd to 30+5th day.

6 . When I start my Adobe Cloud licensed product in the field, the AAM* dies horribly (as has been reported by others). With no internet access, what will happen?

Not aware of this issue can you please point to more information about this.

7. On windows 7: I log in as a different USER to use the software I've installed under a different user account.  What happens?

NOTE: This is quite likely since I have an administrative and non-administrative user profile because I try to NOT be an administrator most of the time.

Subscription licensing is per Adobe ID and all machine users will be able to use the applications.

8. I have installed some (or all) of the Adobe software on my large external portable drive (or USB drive). What happens? **
NOTE: This is exactly the scenario where Photoshop 3 blew up my drive in the past.  I never figured out how, but the update/reinstall ended up deactivating the partition that had all my DATA on it and scared the pee out of me when I saw an EMPTY drive.

<name removed>, please provide input if this scenario is handled in updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answers so far. Here are a few more questions. I probably should be asking them elsewhere:

• Do I have to physically start the application on each Cloud computer, or is there some background task that runs to do the deed?  (And is the answer different on Mac vs Windows)?
  • If I have several applications installed, will one "authentication" on a single computer satisfy the needs of all others?  (E.g. assume 4 applications, will a login when I start Photoshop also automatically renew/update my subscription status for Lightroom .

Note: I think I'd be willing to use the trial to check some of this myself, but somehow I doubt the behavior in the trial will be the same as for a paid subscriber (e.g. notifications at the end of the month, etc).

• What will "second year" pricing be?  Assuming first year pricing is $30 ($360 annually), seems like the second year pricing as currently described is either $50 ($600) or $75 ($900).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to launch an application on each computer you use the subscription on. Same for Mac and Win.

Authenticating one application will authenticate all.

Second year and all future pricing is an unknown. This is the same as it has been for the perpetual license (ie serial number) purchase or upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know that one app launch covers all Cloud Software licensed on the box.  I suspect most of the possible holes could be plugged by having the license manager run in the background like the "update checker" does.

"Second year and all future pricing is an unknown. This is the same as it has been for the perpetual license (ie serial number) purchase or upgrade."

So not true! If Adobe doubles the cost of my perpetually licensed product I can still use it next year and it won't cost me any more out of my pocket - it's already paid for.  With Cloud Licensed software it's pay or go home empty-handed.

It's the difference between having a fully paid-for car vs leasing one - except usually a lease is longer than a year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not trying to make untrue statements. I meant to say that the future price is unknown for purchasing or upgrading to CS7 when it comes (and CS8, etc.).

Many customers love the subscription model. If they have never purchased a perpetual license for any CS product than they are saying this is a good deal. Also customers who owns an individual CS product and are now able to subscribe to the Master Collection (plus more products and services) are saying this is a good deal.

But we still offer the perpetual license for those who do not want a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many customers love the subscription model. If they have never purchased a perpetual license for any CS product than they are saying this is a good deal.

This year, I'd agree it would be a very good deal to get access to all that is included for the current annual cost. If the Cloud is twice or three times as much next year... maybe not which is why I asked the question about pricing plans. Helps me make a decision. Especially since I am more interested in a hodge podge of things not found in any suite. But I'm probably not the suit(e?) spot for Adobe's plan to take over the world 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post but in reply #15 you stated...

But we still offer the perpetual license for those who do not want a subscription.

I would love to learn more about this. What does this statement really mean?

Another question assuming you've bought into the Adobe subscription model...

I understand that if you terminate your subscription you will no longer have access to the CC application BUT you will still have your own files either in the CC cloud storage or presumably on your local machine. But aren't  you sort of stuck at that point with files you may really not be able to do anything with??

It seems you might be building files of various types over time in the subscription. IF you terminate the subscription you now have no way to actually work with those files even though you have them. There are so many features and tools the software provides that the only use for those files without the active subscription would be if you also saved your files in some sort of perpetual format (jpeg, dng, tiff etc.) allowing them to be worked with in other environments.

Am I missing something here?

This has been one of my biggest concerns with this Adobe subscription model. You're locked into an environment you can't get out of if you want to really be able to work with these files in any meaningful way long term.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GSteadman
#15 goes back to the year 2012, so  buying a perpetual license (aka CS6) is not an option anymore.

I understand that if you terminate your subscription you will no longer have access to the CC application BUT you will still have your own files either in the CC cloud storage or presumably on your local machine. But aren't  you sort of stuck at that point with files you may really not be able to do anything with??

That’s correct. But you can still send these files to a friend/customer who can open/use the files.

If you terminate your subscription you are supposed you won’t need to open or  change your files anymore.
So indeed, a solution is to save your work as jpeg, tiff, pdf,..etc.
In some cases ie. Adobe Indesign files can be opened in QuarkXPress with the ID2Q plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to revisit an old thread, but I'm trying to get a handle on things here and I'm hoping someone can help -- bear with me, this is a tiny bit complicated.

I own Premiere Pro CS6 -- licensed -- and old licensed versions of Photoshop and After Effects (but not CS6, as I missed the window to upgrade).  I'm old myself (so I match the software :>) and retired and really can't afford $600 per year for software anymore, but would still love to have these three at CS6 level. 

In checking for a friend I see that if you subscribe to the cloud you can download older versions of the software -- CS6 apparently.  And this thread seems to indicate that licensed versions of the software will continue to run if you discontinue your subscription.  So... I was thinking I could subscribe for a year (they currently have their $30 monthly trial for existing customers) and download the older, standalone versions.  But are these licensed versions?  Do I get a license number to enter and then, after my subscription is up, do they continue to run?  Or are these older, downloadable versions of CS6 unlicensed and somehow still tied to the cloud?

To be clear here, I'm old enough that CS6 versions of Adobe products are all I'll live long enough to need (truly) and paying just a one-time cost would be fine.  So I thought this $360 yearly sub would be the answer to that IF I get a license to install the CS6 versions of the software.  But if it's a special "cloud" version then I guess not.  TIA for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike,

I'm in the same boat. I'm a graphic designer 67 years of age. I'm using Mac OSX10.6.8. And InDesign, Photoshop CS6. I will continue to do a few design projects a month and may need to access a few files for customers once a year (small annual report, Chamber of Commerce street map, etc). I don't need or want a full monthly subscription to Creative Cloud. There are a LOT of people who just use Adobe applications on a casual basis. How long can we continue to use CS6? I don't understand how CC will work if I wanted to use it casually. But I cannot justify $600 a year!

I hope there will be alternatives in the market place soon. There is a petition of 50,000 people who are also looking for options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello kiski,

I'm in nearly the same situation as you except it sounds like I may be using Photoshop more consistently than you, almost every day year 'round. I've used Photoshop since version 2.0, generally upgrading every other release. There are many like me (and you?).

As Adobe was announcing their coming subscription model I made a conscious choice to purchase the CS6 Suite, to assure that I would have my own functional local copy of the software indefinitely.

My understanding of your situation, like mine, is that your InDesign and Photoshop CS6, purchased as stand-alone installers (either DVDs or downloaded), is NOT tied to any Creative Cloud subscription. It will continue to run for you as long as your computer supports it and your customers can accept the files it outputs. The only wild card I can see would be if Adobe were to change the rules...

I'm keenly interested in Mike's situation though as it is slightly different in that he's suggesting he would agree to the subscription model and take advantage of that to download the older CS6. I'm really curious if, this being the case, Adobe might say that software acquired by virtue of having the subscription active would be inactivated if the subscription lapses.

I wouldn't put it past Adobe to do things that way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GHSteadman,

Sent you a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking I could subscribe for a year (they currently have their $30 monthly trial for existing customers) and download the older, standalone versions.  But are these licensed versions?  Do I get a license number to enter and then, after my subscription is up, do they continue to run?  Or are these older, downloadable versions of CS6 unlicensed and somehow still tied to the cloud?

I would be very interested in seeing an informed answer to Mike's questions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

Please can you explain what would happen in the following hypothetical scenarios if I subscribe to the paid Creative Cloud service?

1.  I'm away for 2 months without my computer, I come back and start up Photoshop.  Presumably my software will no longer work, so what happens then? is it just a simple matter of clicking a button to make it 'check again' or would I need to phone Adobe? Will Apple refund me 50% of that month's cost as they know I will not have been able to use the software?

2.  If my software is no longer working, will all my cloud stored files still be safe providing I've kept paying? I can't see any reason why Adobe would suspend the account if I've kept paying, surely it's only neccessary to revoke access to the software.

I can understand why it needs to check in every 30 days but it needs to be made so that it is very easy to unblock or reactivate the software if the person was unable to be online.  Having to telephone Adobe or open a support ticket should not be nesseccary.

Thanks, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines