• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 11.4 + Firefox 15 = Incompatible?

Participant ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Windows 7 x64, I just upgraded to Firefox 15 and any website that uses Flash causes Flash Player 11.4 to crash. Internet Explorer 9 is fine, and downgrading to Firefox 14.0.1 works fine too.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Vista 32-bit, Firefox 15, Adobe Flash 11.4.402.265 - CRASH.

Trying the suggestion in this article next: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/935797?s=adobe+11.4&r=0&as=s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Followed the instructions to turn protected mode off for Flash and it again works in FF.

Way to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RandomReado wrote:

Running Windows 7 x64, I just upgraded to Firefox 15 and any website that uses Flash causes Flash Player 11.4 to crash.

Do you also get a crash if you use Waterfox instead of Firefox?

On my Windows 7 x64 Flash Player 11.4 runs perfectly fine on Waterfox 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried Waterfox, but I just tried downloading it and my AV said it was infected!

31/08/2012 11:49:15HTTP filterfilehttp://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/waterfoxproj/Waterfox 15.0 Setup.exeBAT/DelFiles.NAS trojanconnection terminated - quarantinedREADES\d.readeThreat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting; my guess is that it's a false positive.  I downloaded and installed it yesterday without a problem.

Try it again after your AV definitions get updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I experienced the same problem/conflict between Firefox 15 and the latest version of Adobe Flash (11.4.402.265). This isn't the first time it's crashed since the automatic upgrade to Firefox 15. I had to rollback to version 14.0.1 to resolve the problem. I then went into Tools/Options/Advanced and told Firefox to let me decide when to upgrade my version of Firefox. Until this issue is resolved by the developers, I'll be content to run Firefox 14. The rollback to Firefox 14 solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem.... But I keep forgetting that when you upgrade firefox... you need to right click on the firefox start up icon, go into properties, click on the compatibilities tab, and put a check in the "Run This Program As An Administrator" box, then hit apply.  Start Firefox, and it should work OK.  Problem is...each time you upgrade firefox and/or I think Adobe flash... you need to make sure that box is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response but I tried your suggestion and it didn’t work. Also, I have the very latest version of the Adobe Flash Plugin. Running the setup for Firefox 14 and reverting to that version immediately solves the problem. Until Mozilla spends some time to rectify this recurring problem, I’ll be content to stay with Firefox ver. 14. Thanks again.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to the original question, yes there's a problem with Firefox 15 & 15.0.1.  Even mozilla acknowledges this, but doesn't seem to know what's going on, and the only advice given to this point is to tell users to download a cumbersome diagnostic application:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/935810?page=1

There have been many posts about this on this forum, too. 

For instance:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4718825#4718825

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4708561#4708561

But to their credit, the helpful people on this site at least are trying to look into it:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4744651#4744651

Frankly, I think it's high time that Adobe admitted that the Protected Mode needs more development, and to re-issue 10.3.whatever  as Flash Player 11.5.whatever, since that was the LAST relatively stable version that didn't crash browsers, eat up CPU, and make trying to operate a PC hell on earth.

Just my two cents.

O.F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…and for me, that’s a very good reason just to simply stick with Firefox ver. 14 till they spend some time to rectify the problem. The only irritant is the little pop-up telling me that Firefox 15 is “available for download”. Seeing that is much better than opening ver. 15 and seeing the “Adobe Flash Plugin has crashed” on every video that I want to watch. J thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem.... But I keep forgetting that when you upgrade firefox or it updates automatically ... you need to right click on the firefox start up icon, go into properties, click on the compatibilities tab, and put a check in the "Run This Program As An Administrator" box, then hit apply. Start Firefox, and it should work OK. Problem is...each time you upgrade firefox and/or I think Adobe flash... you need to make sure that box is checked. This is on Firefox 15.0.1 with Adobe Flash 11.4.402.278 all up to date, Windows 7 64bit.  All I know is that after I upgraded to the latest firefox and the latest flash, I was crashing when connecting to any site that had a flash item. I have zone alarm anti virus / internet security set pretty high on security... so that might be what is requiring firefox to run in admin. I don't know if admin is less secure, but that is what fixed mine. As a test, disconnect your computer from the internet, unplug from your modem... start firefox, click on tools, then add-ons. Disable all flash items in firefox. Restart firefox and reconnect to the internet. If everything works, except items that require the flash plug in ... you will know that it is flash. The solution that worked for me was to give Firefox admin rights so it could properly interface with the new flash... it's worth a try... then let Moz.org and adobe figure out why. The only reason I had to disconnect from the internet to do this was my home page has a youtube imbed, and it would hang as soon as firefox was started and accessed my home page, then I could not access my tools or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really want your browser running with the least possible privileges.

Can you try this instead? 

Fixing Windows Permission Problems with Flash Player:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4323109

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the 11.x series of Flash froze on me when a page tried to load it in FF or IE.   I ran that Fixing Windows Permission Problems with Flash Player and rebooted and all of a sudden Flash was working again.    Jeromie, thanks for posting that.   Nothing else worked until now... I just hope it "stays fixed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines