Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is Adobe planning to fix the overheating problem?

Sep 21, 2012 7:16 AM

Tags: #flash_player_11.4 #overheating

Does anyone know if Adobe is planning to fix the overheating problem?

I responded to another post related to this issue but I thought it would be better to have a post dedicated to this specific question. My laptop is overheating when I use flash; I have the latest update; cleaned out the dust; unchecked Enable hardware acceleration; set Local Storage to Unlimited. Flash is the problem!

I installed a program to monitor my computer's temperatures. The temp goes up over 90 degrees Celsius; that's over 190F. Then the computer performs an auto-shutdown in an effort to reduce the damage Flash is causing. It only happens while watching videos with Flash (especially on nbcnews.com but several other sites as well). If I pause the video, the temp goes down; start the video again, the temp goes back up. There is no doubt that Flash is the culprit. Adobe needs to fix it.

Flash has been having a lot of problems over the past few months; overheating is only latest. Adobe never owns up to these problems; they always blame the websites. If it is happening at more than one website, then something is wrong with Flash. The excuse that they can't duplicate it in their labs just means they are not trying or don't want to admit it. I used to like Flash and still use other Adobe products but now I am wishing every website in the world would dump Flash and get on the HTML5 bandwagon. I don't normally make such sweeping comments. But seriously, how much do we have to endure?

I can't help but wonder how many computers Flash is damaging. Btw, my son has the same problem on his desktop pc and I've seen a lot of complaints about it on the internet; it is affectin IE, Chrome and Firefox. Google flash player 11.4 overheating and you'll get over a 1.2 million hits. Shame on Adobe. They keep coming out with crash-causing releases and blame the problems on everyone else. I can't imagine why any company would allow outside developers to affect their software in a way that damages users' computers. It's suicide and I think it will hasten the downfall of Flash.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to rickbogosian

Hello

you should leave hardware acceleration enabled and update your graphics/cpu drivers and interface (DirectX, VDPAU, ...) if possible.

Most websites using h.264/AVC video content.

Any hardware older than ~5 years does not fully support it (biuld in hardware decoder).

That is the reason that the cpu will do all the work.

The "size" of the videos are important too, because not all resolutions/aspect ratios will be hardware accelerated.

And contact the webmasters of these websites that they should use wmode=direct or gpu.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash/kb/flash-object-embed-tag-attributes.html #main_Using_Window_Mode__wmode__values_

example:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ou6_MkIvKOo?wmode=direct&hd=1 (= hardware [GPU] accelerated)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ou6_MkIvKOo?wmode=opaque&hd=1 (= no hardware [GPU] acceleration)

(use at least 720p HD)

With Flash Player 1.4.402.278 (windows) it is now better than .265 on my three different devices.

More informations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder (ATI/AMD)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Clear_Video

Update:

And try different browsers with the Flash Player.

For example IE9/10 use normally less cpu than other browsers.

http://www.7tutorials.com/test-comparison-which-browser-will-make-your -laptop-battery-last-longer

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2012 8:48 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

Flash 11.x uses more resources than earlier versions, and if you use Flash a lot, cooling becomes important.

I have a customer that uses a very old computer to play music all day long on a Flash radio station.  The website is not the problem, Flash is not the problem; the old computer with insufficient cooling is the problem.  Dust has been cleaned, but probably the heat sink needs to be reseated, and perhaps the fan replaced.

All other computers I know have no such problems, despite using Flash a lot.

Overheating is a hardware problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

Flash Player, as any other complex software, does contain bugs; nobody can deny that.  The next version 11.5 is basically a bug-fix release, currently in beta.

Can you try the 11.5 beta and see if the heating problem gets better?  If it does not, you can communicate with the developers directly in the beta forum.

Flash Player 11.5 beta: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1073204

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

The laptop / tablet / smartphone vendors have to design their products to run at least many hours at 100% without shutting down/overheating.

It could be that the cooler has no right contact with the cpu / gpu die.

So I would say it is a design/technical problem and you should contact your vendor or give it back and buy a better one.

You can test it with "burn-in" tools like Prime95, FurMark, Aida64 (System Stability Test) , ...

If you have the same overheating problem it will be a design problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

My guess here is that you're seeing a difference between videos using hardware acceleration for video decoding and rendering (your GPU is purpose-built and much more power efficient) and software decoding and rendering, which uses your general-purpose CPU.

The thing is though, Flash Player is not imbued with magic powers that allow it to somehow overclock your system or something.  It uses the resources available on your system to the capacity that is necessary and  available.  Even in the most extreme possible circumstance, when your system's CPU is being used at 100% of it's potential, it shouldn't be overheating.

Your fans and cooling system are controlled at the hardware level, and have no relation to Flash Player.  If you're experiencing heat-related issues, consult a repair expert or your computer's manufacturer.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

Your machine should not overheat, even if running full-bore.  If your machine is overheating and shutting off, you have a hardware problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

I just wanted to add that I have two seperate computers with this same issue. One is 3 years old, the other is 3 months old.

My most recent Win7 computer, which is an AMD FM1 processor, sees CPU usage max out ONLY when using Flash. I have had to make many modifications to prevent it from overheating to a point where it is unusable. This PC was built as an over-powered home theater PC and yet flash makes it crumble.

Very much aggitated by this issue... and can defintaely state it is an adobe flash issue.

Also note, that my computer runs below 40C idle, using a stock amd cooler.

My other PC is also a Win7 computer, it is an early AMD Quad-core computer, with upgraded cooler. To keep it usable when surfing the web, I had to disable all overheating alarms/auto-shutdows.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to rickbogosian

Flash Player is so poorly optimized that it consumes a lot of cpu cycles when downloading streaming content, even when the video is paused. I have it pretty well configured and when trying to watch a video on Vimeo or Youtube (HD) it goes to 50% CPU with hardware acceleration on. If I turn it off more CPU power is used.

When using Firefox, protected mode MUST be turned off. This mode consumes even more CPU. Flash is the real CPU hog on any computer, is the worst plugin ever made.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to FuriousUser

I would like to confirm that this overheating ONLY happens when Flash adverts are displayed on IE. I use Flashblock on Firefox but use IE for certain sites, and Chrome for others, one of which has Flash adverts, and without fail, my laptop fans kick in hard and the average CPU usage increases exponentially until I close the window. I shouldn't have to start fiddling around with hardware acceleration and stuff, it should just work. I am running all the latest software on a top spec Qosmio X770 with under-fan. I DO NOT have a hardware problem. Flash Player DOES. It's simple. So stop obfuscating and sort it out Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to rickbogosian

perhaps the leash should be on you, Adobe has a big problem and so far have not come up with a fix.  This and the fact that Adobe is causing videos to lock up or no sound is happening to every one in my aera.  Its time for a alternative to Adobe Flash Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 5:14 PM   in reply to rickbogosian

Try to disable 'Hardware acceleration' in settings (right click on the flash window, and choose Settings from menu). With that setting 'on', graphic card works hard and heat quickly especially if its integrated.

Hope that helps all of you

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points