Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reader fails to open mail attachment when filename contains non-us characters

Oct 10, 2012 11:14 AM

Tested reader with 2 identical pdf attachments in email (same pdf, different filename). If filename contains, in this case, scandinavian characters like ä or ö (auml or ouml), reader flags error "The file path is not valid". This is a serious error, there is no other easy way to read to attachment on the road.

 

Tested with Nokia Lumia 800 with Adobe Reader version  10.1.1 Build 20120919.

 

BR, Martti

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to MarttiP

    Same problem for me in France with the "é" in file names.....

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to MarttiP

    You are right, it happens only if there are special characters in the filename; we have Nokia Lumia 800 and Samsung Omnia 7, tested on both with the same version 10.1.1 of the Adobe Reader for WP7, and the problem is the same.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2012 10:16 PM   in reply to PeterR.at

    We are looking into this issue, and will have more information soon.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

    In Portuguese we use a lot of non-us characters like vowels with ã, á, à, â and ç.

     

    I can´t open email .pdf attachs and to open Skydrive and Dropbox files I have to rename them.

     

    Please, try to correct this bug as soon as possible!

     

    I'm using Nokia Lumia 800 and Adobe Reader X Version 10.1.1.

     

    Regards!

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

    Dear Dennis,

     

    just one week until x-mas - and more than two months since the problem is on records:

    will we get the fix punctual as a christmas gift ?

    I don't need new features at the moment - but I urgently need a fix for this !

     

    kind regards, peter

     

    Well, I thought about sending you Season's Greetings,

    but I hope I can send them after the fix and still in time for christmas 2012 ;-)

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

    Hi - for such a simple bug to fix affecting every person using Adobe Reader in a country that use non-US characters, i.e. possibly half Adobes user base for this app, I find it disappointing that a company with such resources hasn't found it worthwhile to serve their user base for almost 3 months. Please try to do something as soon as possible, if you find you don't have the skills or resources to fix this problem then at least republish v9 of the Reader as a legacy app in the app store - that shouldn't be more than a couple of days work.

     

    Thank you!

     

    Sincerely,

    Allan Hvass

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

    Hi there

    The bug is still haunting over the corpse of Windows Phone. Could you please squish it?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 12:44 PM   in reply to hämähäkki

    There seems to be an issue here that neither MS nor we were aware of. The WinPhone SDK that we are using has a flaw, and does not properly translate all of the international characters from the source app to our application. By the time we get the pathname from the OS it has been garbled. We are using a special SDK from MS that allows us to use our native C++ rendering engine on the device, and apparently that special SDK is where the problem lies.

     

    We have a partial fix awaiting Microsoft Review Approval, but it is currently hung up because our app does not work on Windows Phone 8. The special SDK we had to use for our Windows Phone 7 app is not supported by Windows Phone 8, and we need to get the store approval team to grant an exception for our continued updates.

     

    I say this all not to rationalize, but to at least communicate to you what the status is.

     

    Dennis Griffin

    Principal Product Manager

    Adobe Reader for Tablets and Smartphones

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

    That was a quick reply (mine's not).

    I noticed an available update the other day and installed it right away. Then I tried a PDF file I couldn't had opened earlier and it opened successfully. Thanks for replying here and fixing the bug although WP7 is becoming less and less interesting OS due to WP8. Somehow it's not surprising that Windows Phone or its SDK has flaws. :/ I haven't really been impressed by WP in general.

     

    (I forgot my password and had to use another account for this message.)

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Dennis Griffin (Adobe)

    Thanks for your explanations, Dennis.

    So it seems to be a little bit of bad luck for us, that you changed your SDK when developing the current version, as this was no problem in the previous versions of your Abobe reader (that's why we originally asked you to re-deploy your previous version to the WP7 store).

    I updated to the new version and it works fine now, fortunately.
    Thanks for your support and efforts !

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)