Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't select 'stroke path' in photoshop CS6 to taper pen tool edges

May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I can't select the "stroke path" option with the pen tool in photoshop to add tapers to my pen tool strokes. I can only get dead lines. why is this not working?

small screen shot.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2012 May 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot you have a shape layer selected. In order to stroke paths you need to either save the path if it's a shape layer and make a new blank layer to add the stroke

or make your path using the paths option instead of shapes and use a non shape layer, smart object, adjustment layer to put the stroke on. In other words the active layer needs to be a pixel layer (such as layer 3 in your screenshot) in order to stroke a path with one of the brush tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! That really helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its smart object, it wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the pen tool, make sure path is selected in the top right corner. You have it selected to shape not pathPenPath.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you jeng801!!

I resolve the problem thank you answer... but now.. I have another one......

When I try to apply my brush appear another one like picture below..

Thanks

Re: can't select 'stroke path' in photoshop CS6 to taper pen tool edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank bro i was confused and clueless for 2hrs straight. now it works great. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just figured out while trying to stroke on a layer using ellipse shape.

Just select the shape with path selection tool and press ctrl+x then ctrl+v (just cut and paste it anywhere). Now the stroke options must be available.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yaaaass! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly JimFro, you want to draw a path with the pen tool then apply a stroke that tapers to nothing using the path as your guide.

To do this in CS6:

First draw out your path, making sure to draw in the direction you want the line to fade to.

Then you need to create a new layer onto which your stroke will be drawn. Make sure you have it selected.

Next you need to set up your brush. Select the brush you wish to use (size, colour etc.) - then open the brush panelbrush_panel_icon.gif and under 'shape dynamics' select fade in the control for size jitter. then enter in pixels the distance you want to fade the stroke in. You'll probably have to trial & error this figure.

brush_panel.gif

Finally in the path panel select the 'stroke path with brush' icon (second from left at the bottom of the panel) to apply the faded stroke to the selected layer.path_panel.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have option of stroke path but when i click its still not working .....................what should i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines